Sponsored by:

TPC Uni-chip and intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 07:08 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default TPC Uni-chip and intercooler

Does anyone have first hand experience with the TPC intercooler and uni-chip upgrade? I have read all the old posts but can't seem to find anyone that has went from the original split second box to the new uni-chip and intercooler. I am currently running the original split second box and 4.5 lb pulley. Is anyone running the uni-chip without an intercooler and a smaller pulley (6lb)? If you purchased both the intercooler and uni-chip as an upgrade, what did TPC charge you for the combo?

Thanks

Jeremy
Supercharged 993
Old 01-01-2007, 07:46 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Here is a picture of my new 993. I have owned two other 911's in the past and usually post over at Pelican. The car is the one that TPC used to showcase their 993 Supercharger kit and was in both Excellence and European Car in 2001. I bought the car a few weeks ago in Maryland and picked it up at the TPC shop. It has a lot of nice parts in addition to the supercharger. TPC says that the unichip is a huge improvement but I wanted to hear more about it from actual customers.
Attached Images  
Old 01-02-2007, 12:40 AM
nota_troll
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Sweet! Congrats.
Old 01-02-2007, 02:27 AM
c993k
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice! How do you like the kick of the SC?
Old 01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

I am very impressed with the Supercharger. Initially, I was looking for a NA 993 but ran across this car on cars com. In the 1,300 miles I have driven the car in the last 2 weeks, it has yet to give me any problems whatsoever. Also, I have not noticed any oil consumption which really surprises me as I came from Carerra 3.2's which use a noticeable amount of oil. This is an upgrade that I would definitely recommend. My car has just over 10k miles supercharged of which Excellence put on 2k. The car also has a RS clutch, H&R coilovers, Brembo motorsport brake upgrade (14" inch 6 piston(or 8?) calipers up front with aluminum hats and 13" rotors in the back), BBS LM's and a host of other upgrades. The car has definitely exceeded my expectations. In short, I would not hesitate to recommend the supercharger upgrade to anyone.

The guys at TPC were very helpful and do top notch work. You should have seen the quality of the turbo kit that they are prototyping for the Cayman. Very impressive.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:35 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeremy, That is one very nice ride.... nice 'extras' too. I will be doing the upgrade as soon as I get my car out of the body shop, probably early spring. I will not be doing the intercooler (don't want to do the tail). Do you live near by?

Good luck to you!!!!

I love my supercharger!!!!!
Old 01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Mr Bock,

Thanks for the compliments. Your car also looks great. Some of your posts regarding the TPC kit over the past few years motivated me to move forward with the purchase of this car. Are you running the original 4.5 lb pulley?
Old 01-02-2007, 04:24 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've been looking for feedback on the Uni-chip upgrade as well but have been met with deafening silence. TPC tells me that the upgrade will make the CEL problem go away but I hesitate to spend another couple thousand without some sort of feed back from someone with actual experience.

Put about 2,500 miles on this past summer with the TPC supercharger and intercooler and other than the CEL no problems and lots of fun.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:38 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

I ordered the Unichip and a 6lb pulley (2.8 inch) from TPC today. I also ordered the Fabspeed cat bypass from Pelican so the Unichip is being programmed for the bypass. TPC says that the Unichip is good for about 20hp and the bypass is good for another 20 (on a supercharged car). I will let you know about the changes when I get the new equipment installed.

Since my car is a 95, I haven't had any problems with the CEL. I would really like to also do the intercooler upgrade but it is hard for me to justify another $3,500 right now.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

By the way, forgot to mention that TPC wants about $2.5K for the Uni-chip upgrade. Having already spent way more that I wanted (and having had to replace the entire secondary ignition system at TPC's suggestion to make the CEL problem go away -- it didn't).

Black masking tape is now covering up the CEL until I hear from someone with a set-up similar to mine ie: OBDII, supercharger and intercooler.

HELP
Old 01-02-2007, 08:12 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Dick,

I think that I read that Mr Bock pulled out the (check engine light) bulb along with several other people that are OBD II. On the original write up on my car in Excellence in 01, TPC mentions that if a 993 car made much than 320rwhp, the obd2 cars would trigger a check engine light since the mass air flow sensor would see a value outside of its preset range. I wish I could be of more help. Do you know what size pulley you are running? I wonder is TPC supplies a smaller pulley with the intercooler set up to compensate for the pressure loss though the intercooler.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:40 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Yes, I am running the 4.5 lb boost pulley, and I did pull the CEL bulb out. Without an intercooler, I do get some detonation. TPC said they could tune that out with the Uni-chip on the dyno. I am also looking to have the bored throttle body done too. If TPC can fix the CEL light, that would be a plus!!!
Old 01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by onefstm
Dick,

I think that I read that Mr Bock pulled out the (check engine light) bulb along with several other people that are OBD II. On the original write up on my car in Excellence in 01, TPC mentions that if a 993 car made much than 320rwhp, the obd2 cars would trigger a check engine light since the mass air flow sensor would see a value outside of its preset range. I wish I could be of more help. Do you know what size pulley you are running? I wonder is TPC supplies a smaller pulley with the intercooler set up to compensate for the pressure loss though the intercooler.
It's the original article in Excellence that started me down this slippery slope.

I'm running the stock pulley.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:21 AM
RallyJon
Weathergirl
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

the obd2 cars would trigger a check engine light since the mass air flow sensor would see a value outside of its preset range
They never heard of a voltage clamp? Here's the one I used on my turbo'ed Impreza RS: http://www.splitsec.com/products/clamps.htm
Old 01-03-2007, 12:38 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Dick,

I would imagine that you would benefit greatly from the smaller pulley especially since you already have the intercooler. Regarding your CEL, I emailed someone that has the uni-chip on an OBD2 car and he told me that the uni-chip did not get rid of his check engine light. I will send you a PM of his email.

On a side note, does anyone have European Car from 2001? I would love to have a copy or pdf of the article on the Red TPC car that I purchased. I believe that it was the Sept. 01 issue. European Car does not sell back issues going that far back.

Quick Reply: TPC Uni-chip and intercooler