Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried out a supercharged 993 yesterday....Wow!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:19 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by onefstm
Steve,

Everyone seems to be concerned about the 7th injector but it seems to work fine in the real world.

Actually, my car was the original car that they used to pioneer the supercharger kit. It now has about 13k supercharged miles since 1999 with over 2k miles put on the car by Excellence, an unspecified amount by European Car, and track time by TPC. The motor is all original and uses about a quart of oil every 2k miles.
Hi Jeremy:

There is no question that adding a 7th injector is an economical path for boost enrichment but its always a hit or miss proposition into a "dry" manifold.

The only way to validate such a thing would be to install 6 (one per cylinder) wide-band sensors just below each exhaust port and measure AFR's at all throttle settings.

We do this all the time with such properly modified headers on our engine dyno and sometimes its surprising what the spread of AFR's are on different motors and intakes,....
Old 03-05-2007, 12:46 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boris,

I understand your concern; however, based on the success and durability of this kit, I would say that it is"properly designed". Check out this thread. All of these cars seem to be running fine with the 7th injector.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...2&goto=newpost
Old 03-05-2007, 12:53 PM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jeremy,

You are probably right in that i haven't heard of motors blowing up. But i suspect in order to make sure the system isn't running overly lean they are likely to run a couple of cylinders fat. That means smog problems.... and in California smog issues are a big deal.

I want everyone to know it isn't that i'm not excited or supportive to do a SC on my 993. As a matter of fact, I'm very attached to my car and i really would like more HP. So it is my strong preference to go with a SC and bolt on power. I just need to find a way to do it while maintaining smog legal and being able to track my car.

Boris
Old 03-05-2007, 01:03 PM
onefstm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Boris,

I understand your problem with California emissions. I would imagine that you would not pass the visual inspection.

It is my understanding that one benefit of the uni-chip is that the stock ecu, maf, and injectors are unchanged. When the car is driven out of boost, you essentially have a stock 993. In TN, my tailpipe test generated ultra low results. Since the test was a idle and not in boost, the 7th injector never came into play.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:41 PM
Dick Beers
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What onefstm said. Do a search here and on the Pelican board for TPC. There is a fair amount of real world experience from ACTUAL users not just opinions.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:42 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by winsome
Hi Tony the car I tried was a tiptronic, honestly i haven't really try that hard (someone else car) so i was quite easy on it. but already I was very impress. I was mainly going uphill and the monster torque just keep coming. Don't mistake me my beloved na 993 is still delivering massive fun, especially after I changed to 8:32 ring and pinion. If not because I need to retain the rear seat for my daughter and need the A/C once in a while, the most ideal is to loose some weight. Nothing beat a light weight car on road and track. But I need to be pratical here.

For those of you who know a little of my cars background realize that it started out as a old purple car with tiptronic. Now the car is in speed yellow RS lookalike and with decent mod to it, and from tip to manuel (who says it cannot be done and I track it regularly run like a dream). Too much effort put into it so it is going to stay. I really enjoy very minute of it and I am sure most 964 and 993 are alike so I am sure you know what I am referring to......

the tpc sc 993 pulled like a train and it really added ten times to the fun factor. And so far with all the owners that I talked to personal seems to be quite happy, most concerns seems to be coming not from the owners but us......I dont know may be some feed back from owners will be nice. I have search and read all the previous sc post so I needed so new input epecially for those who installed the tpc water to air intercooler and uniQ. and also those who track their sc how they drive and any issue arise?

Winsome
Tks Winsome....a tippy..eh...100 more hp....

Quick Reply: Tried out a supercharged 993 yesterday....Wow!!!!