993 Forum 1995-1998

Dach X Sport Cats Installed & Dyno Tested

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:51 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by ZombiePorsche44
Since you had a bad system that needed to be replaced I can understand your investment, had you done it just for 8hp & 3.8ft/lbs then I would have considered you foolish.
Like weight, it all adds up. 8hp here, 10 hp there... do enough of these here and theres and you can have an extra 30hp everywhere. Combine that with being able to really drive the car well, if you're doing this for racing, and you have the makings of a real and unfair advantage. It's the reason why I'm going to put the now-PCA-club-racing-legal LWF and clutch in.

The old question of "How fast do you want to go? Answer: How much do you want to spend?" applies here. For some, spending $1,000 or more for a part that does nothing but enhance looks is not unheard of. Spending $1,000 (I have no idea how much these cost) for 8hp, lighter weight and better sound doesn't seem like a bad deal.

Oh, and I know you weren't asking me...
Old 12-17-2006, 06:03 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Harvey Yancey
One thing everyone needs to consider here, the transparency of what this product will and will not do. Chris did not originally make ANY claims regarding increased power ... only a better sound and less weight.

Peter Dawe did some head work for me and had recommended that I switch to some Sport Cats for increased flow when I found out about the X-pipes. I ordered some from Chris and installed them. The result was increased power verified by pre and post dyno runs.

I have assisted friends install and test other products that resulted in power losses across the board. If you want to know the manufacturer and the specific product feel free to PM me. The bottom-line is that Chris is encouraging these tests which speaks volumes about the product and himself.

For those of you that think it is too expensive for the gains achieved ... then don't buy it. For the rest of us ... I think that we are smart enough to do the number crunching ourselves and make our own purchase decisions.

+1
Old 12-17-2006, 06:20 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I apologize to the entire board for having a different opinion about where on the car $$'s make the most sense to me and exhaust has always been last on my list, with diet, suspension & **** hot corner balance, brakes, then engine and finally exhaust as part of a total matched flow engine upgrade.

You do your way and I'll do it mine, but I don't feel it's right that just because I don't agree with some of you, that you have to spew all over the forum at me either.

If you have a perceived personal beef, PM me, don't post it here.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

ZP44
Old 12-17-2006, 07:55 PM
DaveM993
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize to the entire board for having a different opinion about where on the car $$'s make the most sense to me and exhaust has always been last on my list, with diet, suspension & **** hot corner balance, brakes, then engine and finally exhaust as part of a total matched flow engine upgrade.

You do your way and I'll do it mine, but I don't feel it's right that just because I don't agree with some of you, that you have to spew all over the forum at me either.

If you have a perceived personal beef, PM me, don't post it here.

Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

ZP44
I don't recall anyone 'spewing' at you...but instead answering what appeared to be a general question...which generally got a 'sarcastic' response.

Loose the anger dude ...life is too short.

And since you weren't asking anyway, what does appeal to me is that they (1) do reduce weight, (2) sound great...from what I read...and (3) don't negatively impact hp or torque. and now that they have cats I am a step closer to this change myself...after the suspension/safety/brakes...etc.

The problem with our cars is that Porsche did NOT leave alot of hp on the table...so unless we are willing to spend big $$ (in which case I would just buy a turbo then)...we get to look for crumbs...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:04 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

ZP44
You are right on the money about the cost/benefit ratio re. performance. But - after you/we've done the reasonable weight loss, suspension, corner balancing, brake maintenance/upgrade... well, what's left that not ridiculous in cost? Some people buy jewellery, drink, gamble, add a mistress to the payroll... me, I'd rather buy some beautifully made exhaust that saves a few pounds, sounds great, and hey, my cats are probably pooched anyway. Enough said, appreciate your apology to the board. Merry ho-ho.
Old 12-17-2006, 08:05 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This thread is like many on this board...there is some good info but it's clouded by people typing things at each other that they would never say to each other face to face. Let's face it guys...we all love these cars, enjoy talking about them and even have some slight differences of opinion of what we should/shouldn't do with them. That's fine.

Before you click on the 'post reply' button...think...would you say this to the other person if we were all sitting around in a good pub having a cold beer? If that were the governing principle, I'd guess this thread would have about 20 posts instead of the 80 it does now.

Back to my beer now...
Old 12-17-2006, 08:32 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rick
This thread is like many on this board...there is some good info but it's clouded by people typing things at each other that they would never say to each other face to face. Let's face it guys...we all love these cars, enjoy talking about them and even have some slight differences of opinion of what we should/shouldn't do with them. That's fine.

Before you click on the 'post reply' button...think...would you say this to the other person if we were all sitting around in a good pub having a cold beer? If that were the governing principle, I'd guess this thread would have about 20 posts instead of the 80 it does now.

Back to my beer now...
Big big big +1.
Mmmm... beer. Did I mention how good canadian beer is?
Old 12-17-2006, 08:44 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I for one, would like to think I am the same no matter whether I'm here or in person. In fact, I'm probably nicer here than in person It takes alot to get ideas across on these boards properly, so alot more thought has to go into what I say before I type it.
I take everthing that gets thrown at me very personally. My pipes, Dave and I spend alot of time (away from family and other responsibilities) making this stuff, that we never intended to be doing. To read what is perceived as badmouthing, whether about the product or the price or the reason for people buying it, disturbs me greatly. I don't need to do this stuff, we make a little money now, but the time involved is certainly not possibly properly compensating......so don't anyone get the wrong idea and think we are getting rich
I do it, because alot of you guys really dig it, and I get alot of Kudos and that feels great. We are providing smething that makes you guys happy, works for ya and if nothing else, we can say we made stuff that got put on people's cars all over the world!! Who gets to say that?
Old 12-18-2006, 02:15 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

just to clarify, my old cats were fine (as far as i know). i personally went this route because of the less weight & more sound & possibly more hp. i can say factually that the new DACH X Sport Cats weighed in at 12 lbs 4 ounces. I will let you know what the factory cats/pipes weigh (i heard it was about 25lbs) when i pick up my car.

my next plan. I bought an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and will tune the car on the dyno with it. i don't plan on posting my results because i don't want to get into a debate about whether the adj. fuel pressure regulator or the DACH X Sport Cats or the combo of both made the difference. So i'd rather not start down the path... already feel as there has been too much negativity around this post.

Cheers,
Boris
Old 12-18-2006, 09:52 AM
Sumtoc
Instructor

Default Please reconsider

Boris, I agree that the little fencing match here is out of place, but there are many (myself included) that have been following this post for the type of information you originally posted.

Please don't let the debate stop the exchange of good solid information. Please let us know the details of your next steps and results. Remember that there are lots of folks who choose to read threads for the technical content and ignore the rest.........
Old 12-18-2006, 01:42 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick
This thread is like many on this board...there is some good info but it's clouded by people typing things at each other that they would never say to each other face to face.

Before you click on the 'post reply' button...think...would you say this to the other person if we were all sitting around in a good pub having a cold beer?

Back to my beer now...
There are many here who know me personally and know I would say the exact same thing to anyone's face, especially over a pint of Guiness!

I hope you all can just let it go, enjoy the Holidays and get on with your upgrades.......ZP44
Old 12-18-2006, 11:07 PM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many here who know me personally and know I would say the exact same thing to anyone's face, especially over a pint of Guiness!

I hope you all can just let it go, enjoy the Holidays and get on with your upgrades.......ZP44
ZP44 wish you a " Happy Holiday " and maybe a white Christmas down where you are Personally I wouldn`t change a single post on this thread , I enjoyed everyone`s opinions because it would truely be boring if every opinion was of the same mind set . CHEERS everyone .
Old 12-23-2006, 12:52 AM
Brad '95 C4
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boris-
It was great meeting you today and your new DACH exhaust sounds great!
Thanks also for letting me drive your 993 to roadtest the exhaust. Since my Dach X sport cats are in transit, I can hardly wait to install.

Now I'm further tempted down the slippery slope...the RS LWF/clutch is a great improvement over stock. Your 993 is great!

Cheers & Happy Holidays, Brad
Old 12-23-2006, 02:20 AM
Jim Morton
Three Wheelin'

Ut oh Brad. I can see the drool dripping off your chin.

Easy now !
Old 12-23-2006, 02:35 AM
FlyYellow
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

jim,

i told brad if you ever wanted a SY cab i'd be delighted to upgrade to your car....

brad,

it was a pleasure to meet you. don't forget the RS short shift kit & shifter as far as slippery slopes go...
cheers,
boris

Quick Reply: Dach X Sport Cats Installed & Dyno Tested