993 Forum 1995-1998

Bubblicious

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 05:46 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bubblicious

Well, went into the Cavern today. Got my work done early around 1 and figured i'd get the seinfeld and artic 634 miler S and let them run for 20 minutes.
so lets see how things went.
first, good news is that i've now memorized that black=negative and red=positive on the batteries and cabling. taking out a battery, neg positive. putting it in, connect in order of positive negative. my memory game was like "coming out is negative so negative positive. " going in means good thingsa re to happen, so Positive negative. really, thats how my brain works.

used a recommendation and hooked up a charger to the battery leads since the battery was removed. got seinfeld up in one crank, moved it to the warehosue door, backed it righ tup, opened door to just enough over exhaust and ran it for 25 minutes.

now bubble artic i had to put the battery back in since i had only 1 charger. the cars are lined up in pairs as you'll see in photos so i only have to move 1 car worst to get to any 1 of them. ran grey boy for 20 minutes. air conditioner kicking for 5minutes a the end. a little wipe and clean while running and back they went.

pushed the envelope a bit and moved them over to the mohawk. had to abandon. seems like the clearance is super tight. the mohawk with the arm that pops up is a very low clearance but just doesnt clear that skirt. protosport uses hockey pucks. literally hockey pucks on those pads to make contact. so that also wouldnt clear though i could have popped it on udnerneat. a quick call to protosport (love that they take my call when i call right away...) and paul gives me some tips. he starts saying i could remove that skirt, or...and i abandon. they'll be here next week and i'll watch. learn instead of F'ing up with the one of a kind seinfeld. see i'm not that foolish.

got them back in bubbles. takes about 2 minutes to get the bubble on. key is to roll up the plaster cover. heavy and you dont wan tto be pulling that across the finish. unroll in chucks. also lets it come on/off evenly that way.

locked the doors. went back the office. very nice lunch break.

94 turbo S comes tommorrow. white. im so excited i might not sleep tonight. unfortunately the red jordan never had a chance to carve a spot in my heart. take care sweet chariot.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:31 PM
faster
Rennlist Member

HUHH???
Old 11-16-2006, 06:36 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

someone on the low miles suggested a new thread... next time i guess i'll have to give a tad more background. for now, i'll just say adios.
Originally Posted by faster
HUHH???
Old 11-16-2006, 07:23 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you just letting it idle or are you driving them for a few miles?
Old 11-16-2006, 07:53 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

uh, i just let them idle 20 minutes today. my game plan was to do that atleast every 2 weeks during winter. and then hopefully hopefully if nice out, drive them 20 minutes 1/month , maybe a little less on the seinfeld and artic. my thoughts varying depending on car.
the 94 turbo, seinfeld and article 634 miler (alias, bubble car) i was going to try to do the most min # of miles. a few of the others, like all of us, i want to drive but again, a sliding scale...nicer=less miles. fyi, the 96 turbo is the "driver". 6k miles and i plan on, and have already, driven it a bit. really nice.

idle...u think thats a problem? a few suggested it, but ensuring i run A/c and heat during that period. i push throttle a few tmies to TRY<try?> to burn off any water in exhaust.

and of course, it gets rolled a bit for the tires.

thoughts, idea...come one come all...

funny, we had the "maintaining super low mileage "t hread. someone recommened "new thread" and this topic seems rigth back there.

how about the hockey puck for the lifting points as a recommendationb y Protosport. thats a neat trick. vulvanized rubber that compresses just that wee bit.
Originally Posted by InTheAir
Are you just letting it idle or are you driving them for a few miles?
Old 11-16-2006, 08:02 PM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I was following that thread for a while, but it got .... ahhhh ...... too long. I'm a simpleton.
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using hockey pucks for years. They work very well. Good to listen to Paul, he knows his stuff well (just saw him at VIR last Fri-Sun). I wouldn't waste time starting and idling the cars. Drive them once a month for 20 mins. there is a lot more to warm-up, exercise and keep lubricated than the engine on any car.
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Man, I'd think you'd want to drive them, if only for a few miles, to fully warm them up and get all of the mechanical parts moving, the sheer pleasure of piloting these machines notwithstanding.

Maybe you could buy a dyno if you're afraid of getting them dirty. It seems a real shame to not let these beasts run free every so often.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:20 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

While I am not a fan of idling an engine for protracted periods, I understand your objective in achieving some exercise for these cars. Actual driving is better IMHO, with the downside being the risk of exposure and accumulation of miles for these unique cars.
As an alternative, have you considered something like a four wheel chassis dynometer? All the measuring devices are unnecessary - just the load wheels/rollers to allow the drive train and engine to perform under a modest load.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Man, I'd think you'd want to drive them, if only for a few miles, to fully warm them up and get all of the mechanical parts moving, the sheer pleasure of piloting these machines notwithstanding.

Maybe you could buy a dyno if you're afraid of getting them dirty. It seems a real shame to not let these beasts run free every so often.
x2... wonder if that's actually why leno has one??? running 'em fully warmed would be healthy...

dyno. dyno. dyno... (for allwheel drive btw)

( but first, 'bout some pics steve? ) you're killin' us...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:07 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Methinks he needs a crew of drivers to exercise these cars properly....!
Old 11-16-2006, 09:33 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

i have some to post tommorrow. hopefully they came out well. easier to load/post from my office. more to come.
later.
Originally Posted by 24FPS
x2... wonder if that's actually why leno has one??? running 'em fully warmed would be healthy...

dyno. dyno. dyno... (for allwheel drive btw)

( but first, 'bout some pics steve? ) you're killin' us...
Old 11-16-2006, 09:35 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

come nice weather i definately plan on driving them. i thnk a buyer of a 634 mile car will understand 100 to 200 miles per year. but again, the question is how few can you put on them. just those. they are that rare. trust me, like all of us, i like driving them..but with those thats the objective, game plan. hard work, will require probably more effort and annoyance, but that will be the challenge.
Originally Posted by Garth S
While I am not a fan of idling an engine for protracted periods, I understand your objective in achieving some exercise for these cars. Actual driving is better IMHO, with the downside being the risk of exposure and accumulation of miles for these unique cars.
As an alternative, have you considered something like a four wheel chassis dynometer? All the measuring devices are unnecessary - just the load wheels/rollers to allow the drive train and engine to perform under a modest load.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:54 PM
bigimp65
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

steve...im sure you have plenty of offers to help you excersise your babies, but here's another. im probably 20 mins or so from you from you, exit 52 287, pm me some time and ill bring my WELL driven turbo to see your beauties. tom
Old 11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Garth S
Agreed. Starting and idling cars in the Winter doesn't allow them reach operating temperature. The result is acid laden moisture collecting in the exhaust system which literally eats thru it from the inside out. Getting a car up to operating temp evaporates away all that nasty condensation.

Quick Reply: Bubblicious