Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats the deal with the hockey puck?

sorry i missed that one.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:04 AM
ddavis
Instructor

Originally Posted by spg993tt
Well, went into the Cavern today. Got my work done early around 1 and figured i'd get the seinfeld and artic 634 miler S and let them run for 20 minutes.
so lets see how things went.
first, good news is that i've now memorized that black=negative and red=positive on the batteries and cabling. taking out a battery, neg positive. putting it in, connect in order of positive negative. my memory game was like "coming out is negative so negative positive. " going in means good thingsa re to happen, so Positive negative. really, thats how my brain works.

used a recommendation and hooked up a charger to the battery leads since the battery was removed. got seinfeld up in one crank, moved it to the warehosue door, backed it righ tup, opened door to just enough over exhaust and ran it for 25 minutes.

now bubble artic i had to put the battery back in since i had only 1 charger. the cars are lined up in pairs as you'll see in photos so i only have to move 1 car worst to get to any 1 of them. ran grey boy for 20 minutes. air conditioner kicking for 5minutes a the end. a little wipe and clean while running and back they went.

pushed the envelope a bit and moved them over to the mohawk. had to abandon. seems like the clearance is super tight. the mohawk with the arm that pops up is a very low clearance but just doesnt clear that skirt. protosport uses hockey pucks. literally hockey pucks on those pads to make contact. so that also wouldnt clear though i could have popped it on udnerneat. a quick call to protosport (love that they take my call when i call right away...) and paul gives me some tips. he starts saying i could remove that skirt, or...and i abandon. they'll be here next week and i'll watch. learn instead of F'ing up with the one of a kind seinfeld. see i'm not that foolish.

got them back in bubbles. takes about 2 minutes to get the bubble on. key is to roll up the plaster cover. heavy and you dont wan tto be pulling that across the finish. unroll in chucks. also lets it come on/off evenly that way.

locked the doors. went back the office. very nice lunch break.

94 turbo S comes tommorrow. white. im so excited i might not sleep tonight. unfortunately the red jordan never had a chance to carve a spot in my heart. take care sweet chariot.
jordan will fit in nicely with the other red P-cars. i also own a red '67 vette, and a red '68 GTO, and last but not least a red 430 Spider.
Attached Images    
Old 11-17-2006, 01:08 AM
Flyingtexan
Instructor

Is this guy for real.....after reading his post it's no wonder the battery terminal red = positive, black = negative thing is an issue here....some people just have more dollars than cents...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:11 AM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ddavis

sorry i missed that one.
Put it in the cradle of your floor jack and only the rubber contacts your jackpoints,
keeping them straight and pristine. Works well on 993's, not sure about 964's.
Jackplate in jackhole for 1989 and earlier 911's.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:00 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paul @ Proto recommended and uses a hockey puck on the feet of the Mohawk lift, which i would assume, is similar to setup on most lifts. the contact point on the 911s is relatively small and those feet are big, and rough edged. the hockey puck is strong as heck, but will compress just enough to not cause any marking or wear. i still have to work out the clearance issue.

i'm gonna put down some tile right there so in the event of any oil spill, and that might raise it up those few centimeters. i might also try one of those wheel/tire cradles which would definately work. but hockey puck support was very slick. full loaded, i was checking one out. it flexes and bends just a little bit. made me realize what nut jobs hockey goalies are having thos things flying at them at 150mph.

oh, and to our poster from montana commenting about dollars and cents...open forum but i think one should reserve judgement of others until one does a little due diligence about the parties about which one writes. u dont know me. I dont know you. i make living, a killing, in an industry that requires sense and cents, and dollars. i wouldnt make a claim about my cents or sense, but i do just fine. i would bet i'm not the only person in these parts that memorizes stuff in that fashion. or maybe i am. but thats how i've done it for years, thats how i did well in school and how i make do with that i got. doesnt work for you? sorry to hear that. these boards are fun. if i wanted square blocks and round pegs and everything fitting just perfect, i could do this at work. its an exercise in fun. i'd rather say good morning, how goes it...any time you're on the east coast, lets get a sandwich and oogle some cars. lets get to no one another a bit before casting those judgements. you're from montana. fly fishing at my house in southern vermont for brookies is right near the top of my list of stuff i love. let there be love!!

regards,
steve

Originally Posted by ddavis

sorry i missed that one.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Berkley
However, I survived a cardiac event and cancer this year, I have a lovely bride and three wonderful children including a nine year old little girl that was adopted in Russia at age nine months. I am grateful for each day
You are a blessed man in many ways.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:34 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

first and most importantly, berkley, i agree with other comments posted herein. you are a blessed man. having nice cars isnt a blessing. they are cars. a wife a family and your health are most important. without question without exception. i'd burn all those cars without one second of hesitation if it meant providing something to my family and kids that i couldnt provide in a more reasonable fashion. i might forgoe a small toe or pinky figure to keep them, but outside that, they are cars. my dad died when iw as young, like 5 or 6. i got home totally pooped yesterday. was up at 4am, on my bike at 5, training till 8, and then just busy all day. i sat on my son's floor, he's 6, daughter3, other son 1. 6 and 3 did a dance to some goofy song but they have a routine down. my 1 year old was crawling all over the place. i was laying on my back trying to stretch my aching quads, and then all three ended up on top of me. i would give up everything 5 times over to have that same moment again and again.

now, the good news is you are with us. and the good news, for the moment, is that we can have our cake and eat it too!!!! so g-d bless your recovery, not so much for you(<G>) but for your family. they need a great dad to show them how to do stuff right.

i was gonna reply about something else but its really irrelevant compared to your great success.

pcars rule!!! nj bikers, let me know. we can organizse a ride thru harriman, and then a pcar ride. might be fun.
climbing route 106 3 miles of switchbacks is fun in the car, wicked on bike.

Originally Posted by Academictech
Steve, ignore these arcane suggestions and listen to a cyclist. There is rarely a two week period in your area when the roads are not rideable (for both cyclists and Porsches) year round. Get a group of trusted riders (you know the ones, guys you'd be happy to allow ride less than an inch from the front, back and both sides of your bike)...then have them over for a an easy 25 miler (shouldn't take much more than 60 minutes on the bike) and then do the course as a Porsche run (shouldn't take much more than 20 minutes in those cars). Anyone who knows how to ride in a bike in a tight pack should know how to ride one of your cars. At this rate, you're adding only about 500 miles to the cars a year. Just idling them is like well....riding your bike on rollers when there is an awesome loop to ride on the roads. In terms of mileage, think about how many miles you're putting on those continentals on your bike. Have fun; this writer is always available if you want a rider (bike or car). BTW (at the risk of offending every 993 owner who lurks here) have you thought about getting a roof rack for your P-Cars? It would be classic to see you pull up to a bike race with one of those cars and your bikes on the roof.

Cheers.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:36 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default some photos

here are some photos i took and have been aggregating on my server just since its easier.

http://www.trademanagellc.com/cars.htm

excuse any inaccuracies or misprints. sometimes i rush. mean well, but i rush.

hauler called. white S 4pm today.
t-minus like 4 hours.

later.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:37 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Due to my old job, I used to store my cars for 4-6 months at a time and drive them for 2-4 months each year. My race car especially has seen only track time and in the past 6 years the cabrio has done about 7K while the race car less than 2K. In the past I had a 968 which I drove for 6K miles in 6 years at least half of them on the track. All my cars never had any issue, only my cabrio complaint recently with a dry right engine seal which was a cheap replacement job. The common denominator in all my cars is that when I drive them, I give them a workout either on the track or on back road twisties. So in your case I would not worry so much as to the frequency , but I would about the quality of the drive. Starting and shutting down on idle I believe its more damaging than taking the car out once every 3 months for a weekend of fun at your local race track... A person I met on the track and had some impressive collection, he would bring on one weekend 2-3 cars out , give them a nice workout and enjoy them in the process like they are meant to be...
As for the comments from some about your collection...they can have a nice day... All of us here wish we were in your shoes financially.. Good for you!
Old 11-18-2006, 06:55 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Default 94 slant in the house

94 slant nose is here. wildly nice. the paint job, while scarey when one comtemplates the impossibility of fixing any issues (see Excellence Magazine article found on the slantnose website, someone here probably has the link.) is really mezmorizing. a bubble car for sure

i posted some photos and will give some more details. solved m problem of lack of proper clearance on themohawk a7 lift. used a 2x12 board i cut in 3foot widths. cut of the edge @ 45 degrees so i could 'drive up it. ' challenge was getting car to stop on the board and not go over edge thought drop was a whopping 2 inches, (modification for next week is just an extra section after so i have more room to brake once popping up that lip, not a smooth transition.
once on the board, the arms clear wonderfully, almost perfectly.
see pictures of hockey puck.

but mostly, see pictures of the slantnose.
i'll pst the rest of the photos on my site www.trademanagellc.com/cars.htm later

hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Regards,
Steve
Attached Images    
Old 11-18-2006, 10:01 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spg993tt
i posted some photos and will give some more details. solved m problem of lack of proper clearance on themohawk a7 lift. used a 2x12 board i cut in 3foot widths. cut of the edge @ 45 degrees so i could 'drive up it. ' challenge was getting car to stop on the board and not go over edge thought drop was a whopping 2 inches, (modification for next week is just an extra section after so i have more room to brake once popping up that lip, not a smooth transition.
once on the board, the arms clear wonderfully, almost perfectly.
see pictures of hockey puck.

hope everyone is having a good weekend.

Regards,
Steve
When the car is lowered, draw a line marking the front axle position on both the floor and the wood ramp. Also mark, and screw a wood stop to the front of this ramp to locate the leading edge of the tire.
The ramps can then repeatably be set in place to allow best positioning on the hoist - and no worry about driving off the front end of the ramp. You can even get away with shorter ramps ....
Old 11-19-2006, 06:18 PM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Thumbs down confessions of a newbie

since we're being as open as possible, i sort of sheepishly make the following comment and ask the following question:

sure, i've washed my own cars a ton. wash by hand with some nice buckets of warm water. and then chamois to dry and make look nice. but any time something needing waxing or polishing, etc., i 'd take it to the detailer.

i'd like to learn to detail the car myself. i dont propose for a second that its tough to do, but you probably need a certain amount of patience and discipline, and experience to do it right. i thin it would be great to have burn some winter days taking care of the cars myself, if i so chose to do so.

anyway, so, are there any competent, good articles out there on "detailing for dummies"? i saw a host of posts, but what really works? would love to know my options from basic cleaning and basic detailing to full-on full boat.

any help is appreciated.
regards,
sg
Old 11-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Leave the detailing.....

To the" Pros" Steve......spend the time driving or with your children and bride

I think you'll be happy with the limited driving approach as part of preventive maint....case in point, ask Ray at RPM what he had to do the '89 930 Turbo to get it market ready after all those years of storage... some 17 plus years...

My Best To You
Old 11-20-2006, 08:01 AM
Peter R.
Pro

I'll never understand this. Some guy has a bucketload of top class vehicles sitting in a shed, trying to find the time to idle them for 20 minutes a month, one with 600 miles on the clock not getting any.

On the other hand there's a million enthousiasts that would have a field dat if they only got a look at one, never being able to afford one even if they stop eating.

They're Porshes, sportscars, meant to be driven vigorously, and put a stupid grin on your face. Drive them. Or give them away to someone who'll use them the way Ferry wanted them to be used.

My 2 Eurocents.

Peter R.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:13 AM
ZSA Motorsport
Former Vendor

Across this world, there are hundreds of top notch collectors who have great cars, barely used. I guess what might bother me about your post is a suggestion that collectors who also like low mileage vehicles are in it just to have a shed of top class vehicles just to idle. most that i have ever spoken to are hard core enthusiasts, but you can only drive so many...and i hate say it, with some of these guys that have had great luck financially, they probably can buy more than they can drive. now we dont need to waste time talking about the inequities of our society that causes one person to have zero porsche and another a few....so and i can say is that i'm a performance athlete and love performance bikes and cars. i love stuff that cuts sharp tight turns, accelerates fast, and i appreciate various handling characteristics. i have that sentiment about my snowboards, bikes and cars.

i have a few cars i drive hard. and i have a few cars i will collect and try keeping in pristine, minimally driven condition.

i have a very rare bicycle, unused, signed by Lance Armstrong, with livestrong gold leaf on it. super nice. one could argue that bike should be pounded around. and i could dig that. but i have two mirrored bikes, one for training, one for racing. i think that lance bike is best preserved as a trophy keepsake.

to each is one's own. but dont get me wrong.....you guys are persuading me. i just worked a deal swapping a black /black S with low mileage that i was going to bubble for two driver cars.

keep the ideas and thoughts coming. we all can learn a little or learn how to not do something.

Originally Posted by Peter R.
I'll never understand this. Some guy has a bucketload of top class vehicles sitting in a shed, trying to find the time to idle them for 20 minutes a month, one with 600 miles on the clock not getting any.

On the other hand there's a million enthousiasts that would have a field dat if they only got a look at one, never being able to afford one even if they stop eating.

They're Porshes, sportscars, meant to be driven vigorously, and put a stupid grin on your face. Drive them. Or give them away to someone who'll use them the way Ferry wanted them to be used.

My 2 Eurocents.

Peter R.

Quick Reply: Bubblicious