993 Forum 1995-1998

Subwoofer under seat

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 12:05 AM
allill
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Arena993
This was in a earlier 993 thread and someone put one of these under the passenger seat and had no fitment problems. Hope this helps.

Mike
has anyone heard how either of these subs sound?
Old 11-11-2006, 07:44 PM
motion
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just received the Kenwood KSC-SW1 and I can confirm that it will not fit under the passenger seat. Its maybe a 1/2" too tall or so. I am going to go ahead and get it connected to see how it sounds. If its a big improvement, then going to search for a slimmer subwoofer to mount under the seat. Will keep you posted.
Old 11-11-2006, 11:13 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 483 Likes on 256 Posts

Hey Geolab, what size Kappa speakers did you use in your rear deck.... I just blew my 'upgraded' Porsche rear right deck speaker today.

FYI, the Clarion powered sub that someone pictured got a generally crappy review on Crutchfield. Sounds like the 120W Blau might be the way to go....
Old 11-12-2006, 05:38 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Hey Geolab, what size Kappa speakers did you use in your rear deck....
Kappa 462.5 cfp 4" x 6 " in the rear

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...9;&Ser=KAP&Cat

and 5.1 perfect in the front,

http://www.infinitysystems.com/carau...er=KPE&Cat=COS

as for the sub

There is a shop selling the new version of the blaupunkt at 146 euros,
Its a bit lower in height, but larger and wider a little bit.
I do not know how it sounds, but the shop describes it as the descendant of
the 'legendary odsb 5000' as he describes it, here is the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/BLAUPUNKT-THB-20...QQcmdZViewItem

if not, there is a used odsb 5000 finishing in 13 hours, auction price at the moment is 35 euros

Item number: 130045387697

Last edited by geolab; 11-12-2006 at 06:20 AM.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Watch out if you decide to go with the NEWER Infinity Kappa's, they're 2 Ohm speakers and are not designed to go w/ most head amp units, they're designed for the sep. high power amps. I'm no expert but I've never seen a head unit spec'd to work at 2 ohm.

Infinity has a great web site that has specs inc. dimensions of their systems. Unfortunately, the Referance series are 4 ohm but to me they sound very inferior to other 4 ohm speakers on the market. I have Inf. Ref's in my 968, I had to put in a sub because the Inf. Ref's lack a bottom end.

As for the Clarion sub, that's what I have in the 968, I read some reviews that indicated they were poor but other reviews that said it just needed to be set up correctly, it is a very tuneable unit. It's by no means a high end sub but for the $120 I paid for the unit it is great. I don't remember where I got it from but I found it through a Google search.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:14 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Unfortunately, the Referance series are 4 ohm but to me they sound very inferior .
Although I have never tested a Reference speaker, it is
clear on the infinity website that the reference series is the
starting bottom line. Look for the perfect.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:26 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Originally Posted by geolab
it is
clear on the infinity website that the reference series is the
starting bottom line. Look for the perfect.
I knew that when I bought them. I've had Kappa's in previous cars, they were good and 4 ohm to boot. If I remember the Inf's go from Reference, then Kappa, then Perfect Series. Don't quote me on that but check the Inf. web site.

My main point, make sure the impediance (4/2 ohm) will work w/ your amp.
Old 11-12-2006, 02:41 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
make sure the impediance (4/2 ohm) will work w/ your amp.
I TOTALLY agree with you. It's an excellent info to point.
Here is what mine's packaging looks like....4ohms
Attached Images  
Old 11-12-2006, 09:37 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Thx guys/geolab, will order some 4x6 Kappas.
FYI, I have a set of Polk db525s in the front now and based on their performance (impressive) will upgrade to the Polk MMC525s. For $130 it's hard to argue for paying more for top-end infinity product. Um, especially with RSRs, heavy right foot, and sunroof.... IMHO!
Old 11-12-2006, 09:49 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Option #2:

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ntQqPzH...C460&s=0&cc=01
Old 11-12-2006, 11:25 PM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's kind of tacky, but I put 2 subs in the back seats, and hold them in place with the seatbelts. If for some reason I need the backseats, they come right out. I have an Alpine head unit, a Pioneer amp under the passenger seat for the front and rear speakers, and a Pioneer amp in the trunk for the subs. I can crank it up and get great bass at speed with the top down. I've tried various active subs in the trunk, and they sound great in the garage, but can't hear them on the road. You can't get much of a sub under the seats. There's not a lot of air volume under the seat to vibrate.
Rich
Old 11-13-2006, 12:26 AM
David Ray
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, let's keep trying and experimenting! Sonically you cannot move enough air in the active subs I've seen listed here or on the net to over come the openness of the cabs or roar of the great exhaust systems (and an under the seat install aint going do it). The best subs move the most air, simple fact, we have to try to figure out how to move air! I believe you have to take the rear seats, in one fashion or another and develop a box that allows a 10-12" speaker(s) to be the sub configuration. The cab owners are going to experience the biggest problem, since when down, YOU guys have the MOST air to move because your area of listening just opened up to the masses.

I think we have to look at the rear seats for a dynamic solution. How many of us truly have rear passengers? There must be a way...and lots of Dynamat.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:17 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by David Ray
Wow, let's keep trying and experimenting! Sonically you cannot move enough air in the active subs I've seen listed here or on the net to over come the openness of the cabs or roar of the great exhaust systems (and an under the seat install aint going do it). The best subs move the most air, simple fact, we have to try to figure out how to move air! I believe you have to take the rear seats, in one fashion or another and develop a box that allows a 10-12" speaker(s) to be the sub configuration. The cab owners are going to experience the biggest problem, since when down, YOU guys have the MOST air to move because your area of listening just opened up to the masses.

I think we have to look at the rear seats for a dynamic solution. How many of us truly have rear passengers? There must be a way...and lots of Dynamat.
Agreed, but remember you need to keep the weight down. Don't want to add a ton of weight to an already heavy 911.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

For most of us our choices vary depending on our expectations. If you expect to have great sound w/ the cab top down or sunroof open at 75 mph you're going to have limited prospects and can expect to pay big $$$$. My expectations are much lower, most of the time my radio isn't even on w/ the top down unless I'm in slow traffic. So take that into consideration when you get someone's suggestions on this forum.

Geolab, it's plain to see your Kappa's are 4 ohm but I've had the experience here where I ordered the 4 ohm Kappa's online, got a call from the (online) retailer telling me that model was no longer available and thay wanted to ship me the newer model, when it arrived I saw it was 2 ohm. The (online) retailer was a real bitch when I tried to return the 2 ohm, but I did get them to take them back. Just my experience.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

I think I'm going to try to have a low volume box fabricated to fit/sit in the right rear seat well (all seats and padding have already been removed), with an 8-10" subwoofer pointed upright.... will let you know how it goes.

Quick Reply: Subwoofer under seat