Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Geo,
why not just post your pdf file?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:48 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool What a revelation....

I have been reading up on 993 suspension for years. I have read Paul Frere, Bruce Anderson, talked to Joel Reiser, Mike Schatz and other experts, had my car's suspension worked on at ANDIAL looking for an edge, and this is the first time I have ever heard ..."It seems the M030 springs come in three kinds, soft, medium, hard. (thus street, street-track, track)."

As far as we used to know, and as posted on www.p-car.com and other sites, our 993 suspension options were only:
US Stock with the SUV ride,
M030 (US)
M033 (US)
M030 (RoW)

Yes there is 993RS suspension and 993 RSR, clearly different beasts... a quantum leap over the iterations mentioned above.

If there are M030 (US) in three iterations (street, street-track, track), I want the Porsche part numbers...I want those M030 track springs. These M030 "Track" springs would make great "cheater" springs for us 993 TT and Club Racers...it ain't easy to cheat and get away with it. This could be the solution! Seriously, if there vare 3 levels of M030 springs, folks that write the Club Racing rules would be very interested in this information.

I have had stock springs, and M030 (US) springs on a spring compressor, and they come out about the same, 150 front, 300 rear, with the only difference being spring length. I have tested US Turbo springs, once again 300 rear and they are longer to accomodate the extra 993TT weight. I should re-read the thread in the AM and see if part # have been posted.

I already know how to beat the rules, using stock 993 springs to lower the car and stiffen the ride, why it's simple. Just shorten the springs...of course you need to know how much to cut.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:10 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

This is what the post was all about, this is what I was trying to find out ( different # of stripes same colour)

added: and I didn't mean to result a mini-crisis to a seller receiving calls asking him why they got three stripes of brown. I forgot for a minute all was financial.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:14 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.
I have been reading up on 993 suspension for years. I have read Paul Frere, Bruce Anderson, talked to Joel Reiser, Mike Schatz and other experts, had my car's suspension worked on at ANDIAL looking for an edge, and this is the first time I have ever heard ..."It seems the M030 springs come in three kinds, soft, medium, hard. (thus street, street-track, track)."
In the workshop manuals for models prior (911, 944, 968, etc.) to the 993 you'll find that each spring version (M030, M032, M033) is subdivided by Porsche into two or three tolerance groups according to spring force at a set length and denoted by the number of colored dots. The differences are at most 100-200 N and the tolerances are spec'ed +- 4%. I can't find anything from Porsche documenting this for the 993 but it follows the exact same pattern and I think it makes sense (the loaded spring height is dependent on the spring rate, right?) . For the 996 the system was changed to a color only system.

If someone has access to the mechanics training materials that were given out during training in Reno the tolerance groups might be documented in them? Similar manuals for the 964 cover material not in the workshop manuals or the service Techniks, etc.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:47 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edward
This is exactly what I was thinking. Either that or they really believed their own drivvle. And to me, the "coup de grace" (sp?) was 'it'll shake the car up and make things rattle' ...yeah, those M030s are so stiff you gotta worry with those bad boys.
...sorry, just couldn't resist.

Edward
The answer I got today:

The 993 Turbo/ GT's/RS have a stiffened monocoque body compared to a normal 993.
Reinforcements exist all over the body at various emplacements.
Due to weight factor, weight has been compromised in other components and areas.
A stiff suspension will compromise more a non strenghtened body in street use, exposed to bumps, potholes, etc.
This is what they meant and personally, I agree with them.

They didn't have a 993 Turbo at the workshop, but we raised a GT3 to take pictures

you can see clearly, 2 visible areas were the body has been reinforced to compensate for the stiff suspension.

...sorry, just couldn't resist neither.
Attached Images     

Last edited by geolab; 10-25-2006 at 07:44 AM.
Old 10-25-2006, 07:43 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

What in the world does a picture of the underside and the decklid of a GT3 have to do with a 993 and the spring options?
Old 10-25-2006, 09:50 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

I vote this as the "Best Thread of the Month". I don't know a thing about M030 springs but anxiously await the outcome.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:02 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with you Mark!

It is just as likely that the spring supplier was given a tolerance range for the springs, lets say from x to y was acceptable goods. But the range was wide enough that the Factory wanted to match those near the extremes and the middle of the tolerance range for a "balance" when building each car. So, they marked the springs as to where they fell in the acceptable range.

I have no proof of this, and just thought it up using two cups of high-test and my manufacturing background. But using "MO30" and "Race" in the same sentence is an oxymoron!
Old 10-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

anyone have access to Technical information Nr. 5/94?
Old 10-25-2006, 11:39 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Here is a post from the guru on 993s about the different suspensions available for 993s.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-forum/14703-lowering-us-spec-car-to-row-or-lower.html
Old 10-25-2006, 11:40 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Martin S.
US Stock with the SUV ride,
M030 (US)
M033 (US)
M030 (RoW)
Martin,
Look at the link I posted above. There is no M033 for the US.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:46 AM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by geolab
The answer I got today:

The 993 Turbo/ GT's/RS have a stiffened monocoque body compared to a normal 993.
Reinforcements exist all over the body at various emplacements.
Due to weight factor, weight has been compromised in other components and areas.
A stiff suspension will compromise more a non strenghtened body in street use, exposed to bumps, potholes, etc.
This is what they meant and personally, I agree with them.

They didn't have a 993 Turbo at the workshop, but we raised a GT3 to take pictures

you can see clearly, 2 visible areas were the body has been reinforced to compensate for the stiff suspension.

...sorry, just couldn't resist neither.
I guess you are making this stuff up, there can't be a logical reason otherwise. No 993 except the RS, GT2 and the factory race cars (Cup, RSR's) had seam welded chassis. The turbo has the same chassis construction as the N/A 993s do.
Old 10-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Cool One more thing....

I, as many others do, know that Viken Bedrosian is the "Keeper of the Keys" to 993 arcana. He has forgotten more than most will ever know.

Got your point Greg...I don't know a damn thing about M033...

Also note, the springs on the 993 RS and 993 RS CS are progressive, not linear:

The fronts, progressive with a spring rate of c = 43 N/mm

Rear, progressive with a spring rate of c = 80 N/mm

c = compression (I suspect), or? N = Newtons mm = Millimeter

The above from Porsche technical Bulletin WKD 499 620 04/1995

Old 10-25-2006, 12:10 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Martin,
My point is that Viken has posted on this board everything there is to know about the susupension options and variations for the 993. Just need to do some research, but it is all there.

Also remember a now retired tech with Andial that used to post and how the shims were used to do a corner balance to some degree.

Regards.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
anyone have access to Technical information Nr. 5/94?

Quick Reply: M030 facts I did not know