Sponsored by:

What needs changed after ten years

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 11:27 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What needs changed after ten years

As many are aware, I acccepted deliver on a 97 S with 30K several weeks ago. Although the car's in great shape it is obviously 10 years old. The previous owner did a great job with consumables like brakes tires and fluids. I plan on updating the suspension and need to replace the belts but I'm curious as to other rec'd replacements, not necessarily upgrades. For example, my seat seems tired. The leather is in great shape but the pading seems fatigued. Are my audio speakers fatigued? Anything else?

Thanks

Jack
Old 08-02-2006, 12:21 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

let me trade info for photos ....
some photos of the beauty will "grease" the flow of information ...

Old 08-02-2006, 12:24 AM
eloyex
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

speakers are fried by now ... mine totally consumed pulverized ...
for example ...

you can get good ones that fit the current holes for few $$$ and get some decent sound ... anyway, the best sound comes from the engine you got there ....
Old 08-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Pickled Piper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is possible to swap the seat backs as these are not handed. My car has always and still is driven "one up".

pp
Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM
kennyboy
Instructor

LSD may need replacing if it's got one?
Old 08-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seats can't be swapped as the seat belts will be on the wrong side. Also not sure you could get to the power buttons.
Old 08-02-2006, 09:28 AM
burrow01
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Bull
Seats can't be swapped as the seat belts will be on the wrong side. Also not sure you could get to the power buttons.
Hi - I think he was referring to the seat Backs only - these are identical on either side I believe

Pete
Old 08-02-2006, 10:59 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

The only thing that comes to mind is to replace all four of the rubber brake lines and the clutch rubber line. These are items that are ignored all too often.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:15 AM
BS911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts

- I would change the dual distributor belt which decays due to time and mileage.
- When most people say "fluids" I would wonder if it definitely includes brake and tranny fluid. I know my PO's shop didn't include that in the description of "fluids".
- If the car was dealer maintained then the #6 spark plug needs changed - and the engine located small oil filter. Again, my PO's shop did NOT consider those items as part of their associated maintenance.
- I'd agree on the speakers too - especially those in the rear deck with long sun exposure.
- A good digital camera to share your progress with the rest of us as you travel down that slippery slope.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:29 AM
Deanriffs
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg
As many are aware, I acccepted deliver on a 97 S with 30K several weeks ago. Although the car's in great shape it is obviously 10 years old. The previous owner did a great job with consumables like brakes tires and fluids. I plan on updating the suspension and need to replace the belts but I'm curious as to other rec'd replacements, not necessarily upgrades. For example, my seat seems tired. The leather is in great shape but the pading seems fatigued. Are my audio speakers fatigued? Anything else?

Thanks

Jack
Interesting that you are looking at replacing the belts. It can't hurt, but I had not heard that this is needed at this mileage or age. My car has 34K miles, and I was not planning on changing the belts anytime soon. Anybody else with similar miles doing this, or wish that they would have?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:36 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pedsurg

Thanks

Jack
I agree with what my other campadre's are saying. My $0.02 is that, I believe, after 10 years, the airbag needs to be checked. (I read this in the manual).

G.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by burrow01
Hi - I think he was referring to the seat Backs only - these are identical on either side I believe

Pete
Not sure if the reclining mechanisms are affected or not.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:45 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Re: the seats - I was just on the www.gahh.com website (I've got this crazy idea to update to full leather) - anyway, they point out that the seat foam can loose its elasticity over time and can be replaced. I guess if you could find a qualified upholstery shop nearby you could have the seats re-covered and, at the same time, get the foam pads re-done.
Re: the speakers - If you want a full replacement hi-fi set for the front doors, mine should be available soon. Quite frankly, unless you plan on keeping everything stock, you would be better off upgrading the whole system. Rod Glass at www.caraudioinnovations.com has some tested, complete solutions. Or, you can be nuts like me and plan a full custom install.

Re: the brake lines and clutch lines. Can anyone recommend specific item #'s/ brands? With this winter's brake re-do I was planning on changing over to SS lines. Never thought of changing the clutch line...
Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The air conditioning unit on my MY94 993 required work to fix a system leak after about 12 years; since it takes a bit of time/work to get to the system I had most of the system replaced w/new or remanufactured parts....not cheap to fix so make sure the ac system is checked out thoroughly in any PPI or Post-PI.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:11 PM
ceboyd
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

my 96 has 41k miles and the original belts!

..no signs of rot or cracking either.. no teeth missing or any signs of required replacement BUT I'm gonig to replace them this winter anyway... figured 10 years is long enough to use... and those 3 belts aren't all that expensive anyway

Quick Reply: What needs changed after ten years