Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What needs changed after ten years

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 08:54 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chris: Thanks. Any rec's re what speakers to use to replace the factory originals? Did you add an amplifier??
JAck
Old 05-17-2007, 12:50 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 487 Likes on 257 Posts

Jack,
An amplifier is optional depending on how much power your head has, if you run a subwoofer, and what your audio aspirations are.

Crutchfield has a great mail order plug & play speaker selection.

Favorites here seem to be Infinity and Polk. If you go with 2 way speakers (integrated tweeter) you don't have to spend much money ($150 for door speakers, $99 for rear 4x6 plate speakers) to create a massive improvement in sound over the factory system.

PM me if you have questions, I can send you some specific speaker model #s that will work.
Old 05-17-2007, 02:15 PM
Coleman
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 62 Posts

Holy Burl!
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Matt, I'll PM when I get around to that part of the ten year plan.
BTW, in honor of the unoficial beginning of summer, I thought I'd post these pics of my FVD aux oil coolers :
Attached Images  

Last edited by pedsurg; 06-16-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:58 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

and
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2007, 11:59 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

finally
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2007, 12:29 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I just had a system installed in my 993 (non-hi fi), I have a CDR220 headunit, Lunar 2125 Amplifier (2 channels 125 watt each, but handmade and US built, and probably closer to 200watts RMS) powering OZ Audio Matrix components in front. The headunit powers Oz Audio 4x6 Vector coaxials in the rear (dropped in the factory locations) The Lunar with the Oz Matrix CS180s POUND!! I honestly do not need a subwoofer with this set up.
I had an Alpine going through a Linear Power 450 powering Boston Acoustic Pro front speakers, and an 8" JL Audio sub, and Clarion Pro rear speakers in my SC Targa, that Rocked! My 993 system without a sub sounds BETTER than my SC with a sub.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:00 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Sounds great; literally and figuratively!! How did you determine what components to use and who did the install??
JAck
Old 05-31-2007, 11:46 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

I called around a bit, searched the web and ultimately talked to recognized car audio experts.
Car Audio Innovations does a lot of Porsches and Rod Birch pushes the Audison amps and Focal speakers. Both are excellent components. when you get to the higher end Focal speakers, you are talking major bucks, the Focal Utopia line is well, silly money, a couple thousand for a set. the K2Ps are around $1k. Audison has 3 lines of amplifiers, from lowest to highest, they are the SRx, LRx and VRx. I have been told that the SRX and LRx are made in China, with only the VRx still made in Italy. The VRx line is the most expensive of their amplifiers. The same company that makes Audison amps also makes Hertz speakers. There are very few dealers around here, but I really like the Hertz HSK speakers and was set to get them until I met Jamey Rawlings, who did my install.

Jamey owns Rawlings Audio, and used to own Paris Audio. His email address is porschetunes@aol.com, he has done a LOT of Porsches. I spent a bit of time talking with him to decide what the best system for me was, what I like to listen to, what I wanted to spend, etc....

The bottom line is that you really cannot determine how a system will sound by listening to a display board. There are several reasons, first, the environment is completely different. The board itself can be set up to make the more expensive speakers sound much better (less power to the lower end stuff, hidden subwoofers behind the board etc....) At some point, you need to find a quality installer and TRUST their experience, especially with speaker selection. You will need to decide, do you like a bright tweeter or a smooth one? silk dome tweekers are less bright. How much bass do you want? do you listen to Led Zeppelin or Celine Dion? a good installer will then tell you what he recommends and why. You have to judge the character and decide if he is simply trying to sell you something, or make a sound recommendation. Jamey can put ANYTHING in his car. He had a set of Oz Audio Matrix CS180s that he was going to put into his car, but they wouldn't fit without a lot of effort, which he simply decided against. He sold one pair to tankertoad (96 C2S) and the other set to me. unfortunately you cannot get that version of the Oz Matrix speakers anymore, they aren't made, and the new Matrix Elite has fallen victim to the overseas curse.

Most amplifiers now days are made in China and Korea. Tru Technologies (California) and Lunar (Lousiana) are two that are still handmade in the good ole USA. The guy that owns Lunar used to be a designer with Rockford Fosgate before they started selling at Best Buy and had to go overseas to increase their quantity. In the 80s and early 90s Rockford made the best amps, as with many companies, once they built their name, and demand went up, the companies had to move production overseas to keep up, few companies can resist the temptation to maintain quality and remain exclusive. Focal seems to be one of the few that maintains quality, you do need to be wary of counterfeits through, especially if you buy via the internet. Car Audio Innovations is a Focal Dealer, and Rod probably has the best prices on Focals, for an authorized dealer.

I went with a Porsche Headunit by Becker. Good quality, not the top of the line, but had the features and looks that I wanted. You need to decide what functions are important to you and go from there. The CDR220 is limited on how much control over the sound I have. I can basically only adjust bass, treble and loudness. Some higher end units have sound processors to delay, add echo, etc...

Most importantly, interview a shop like you would if you were hiring an employee, you are. get references and talk with them. the install on my 993 took ALL DAY, but it is very clean. Anyone that claims to be able to complete an install in 2-3 hours will butcher your car just to get it done.
The install will not be cheap, quality costs money and the good ones know what it takes. I suspect there are MANY very good installers in Florida. This forum is a good resource, but it is not the ONLY one. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2007, 10:08 AM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Any other thoughts on a set up that complements the 993 and CDR 220. What is the closest current version of a quality piece Lunar 2125??

As always, thanks

Jack
Old 02-24-2008, 03:01 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Just returned from 48 hrs and baby needed a bath
recent 10 year upgrades include big reds and an AC condenser (cool and very cool)
black 18's and additional stereo pending
any rec's ??
Attached Images  
Old 02-24-2008, 03:02 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

and
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2008, 11:34 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

still interested in opinions on Black 18's i'm considering either all black or having the very au currant 1-2 cm circumferential silver rim. I'm interested in the pro's and cons.
jack
Old 09-14-2008, 02:34 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

As always thanks for all the helpful suggestions over these past two years
I'm currently contemplating a three spoke steering wheel possible using the same wood package; option code: X10, X30, X32, XC9.
All thoughts/suggestions appreciated.
Jack
Attached Images   
Old 09-14-2008, 02:39 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

Here is what I've done to my '97 C2S--

https://rennlist.com/forums/showpost...3&postcount=71

(Oh, and in addition to that list, I also took care of the driver's side door check strap-- forgot to include that)

Quick Reply: What needs changed after ten years