Sponsored by:

Pro/Con for sunroof delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Pro/Con for sunroof delete

I did the search and came up empty.... I would like to hear the good v.s. bad if, any, if I were to replace the roof of my car (see 'My Sad, sad, Fraiday') with a new factory roof with no sunroof. My primary thought was to lower repair costs with a side benifit of cleaner lines. In the couple of years that I have owned the car, I may have opened the sunroof twice. I would think the delete would result in a slightly stiffer car? Someone said no, and that additional stiffeners would need to be added. I do not know if the stock 'delete' roof is any different from the one with a big hole in it.

Any input is most welcomed!!!

Thanks!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do it just for the headroom, as I always did when sunroofs were optional. If you don't need the room, i would put it back the way it was and keep the car "original".
Old 07-26-2006, 03:01 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Personally I wouldn't want a car without a sunroof...actually I would love to have a cab, but I just can't handle to loss of the "roofline" that comes with a 911 cab. I would think this is a VERY individual preference though. I mean if you never use it, I would not get it. I use mine EVERYTIME I drive my car.

BTW, the sunroof does take up a lot headroom...during the few DEs that I have done, I have to lean down slightly because my helmet hits the roof...and I'm only 5'10".
Old 07-26-2006, 03:31 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pros:
1) lighter
2) more headroom (noticable on the track especially)
3) one less thing to break
4) cleaner lines
5) easier to wax

cons:
1) that one time per year you would actually use the sunroof
Old 07-26-2006, 03:39 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Ditto to what pcar964 said...
Old 07-26-2006, 03:47 PM
JCarter287
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should return the car to it's original condition and form.......

My thought is, if it came from the factory with a sunroof, leave it as a sunroof car.......
Old 07-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I rarely use mine and even if I didn't need the extra head room I would look at it as an opportunity to get rid of it...they all leak at some point and have parts that break. You say you never use it anyway so why would you want it back?

c
Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Lighter.
Lighter in the right place.
Better fit for a roll bar.
Lighter.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 126 Likes on 66 Posts

Granted my 993 is not my daily driver but I am surprised to hear you guys say what you do.
I do not back my car out of the garage until both windows and sunroof are wide open. It's one of the things I love about the 993.
- Of course it's closed at the track but I've never had a headroom problem even with my helmet on and I'm 5'11.

I would never buy a coupe car without a sunroof (unless it was a purpose built track vehicle.) as I use the sunroof all the time. It would be a deal breaker.

B
Old 07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I replaced the sunroof with a non sunroof skin on my racecar. I think there was about 40lbs of weight savings and additional headroom was gained. Not a real big issue to change out. I don't think there is a difference in strength, in fact, the sunroof roofs may be stronger due to the additional metal.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
mborkow
Drifting

get rid of it. you supercharged your car already so you have already gone pretty far away from what "original" was.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM
momoC4S
Rennlist Member

I agree with mborkow...original is gone (yes, you can put the stock parts back on, I know) and the fact that the roof has been replaced will probably kill the resale value - sunroof or not.

When you get ready to sell it, the track guys are going to like the sunroof delete. You may even turn it into a track car at some point.

You asked...;-) Good luck with the repairs!!!

Morgan
Old 07-26-2006, 06:55 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Ditto what jackb911 said.

I really regret buying my RSA w/ a sunroof, but didn't know better at the time. It is down on the list to replace, but it is on the list. I think it will be around $2,500-$3k including labor. Maybe on the low side if you get a used roof instead of buying new. I have read several times the headliner is a bitch to replace and is probably a decent chunk of that $.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:11 PM
mborkow
Drifting

Originally Posted by forklift
I really regret buying my RSA w/ a sunroof, but didn't know better at the time. It is down on the list to replace, but it is on the list. I think it will be around $2,500-$3k including labor. Maybe on the low side if you get a used roof instead of buying new. I have read several times the headliner is a bitch to replace and is probably a decent chunk of that $.
mr_bock doesn't have a choice (since his was crushed), but don't you think you will hurt your resale value if you replace the roof?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:19 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
mr_bock doesn't have a choice (since his was crushed), but don't you think you will hurt your resale value if you replace the roof?
I'm not sure what it will do since the car had one originally. My guess is that if I document everything and it is done right, it should be fine. Many prefer them w/o a sunroof as that is the way RSAs all should have been IMO. I have noticed that well prepped race cars can get as much as clean original cars. Mine is heading that direction and I already pulled the a/c, sound insulation, and air bags out.

http://www.rsamerica.net/market/vehicles/index.htm

My plan is to keep it forever so hopefully resale won't be an issue anyway. Being 6'2" I really need the headroom w/ my helmet on and when I put in a full cage I will need the weight savings.

Quick Reply: Pro/Con for sunroof delete