Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pro/Con for sunroof delete

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM
Garth S
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

At 5'18", I would gladly do without the sunroof - as done on my 928's: as there was no choice in the matter, my sole gripe about the existing design is that it is a single action rear slider .... no rear tilt open with the panel in place .... like any decent Audi or BMW
The one thing about a sunroof that gives me joy is to rear tilt them open at all times except in severe storms - and enjoy the airflow: otherwise, it is fully opened 2-3 times a year.
Porsche - you cheated & went cheap on this one! ... and didn't save any weight or gain any headroom by doing so.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:45 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Resale value! I would have paid extra to get the sunroof delete...
Old 07-26-2006, 10:11 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with ppessle...I would pay more for a non sunroof car. I am OK with a car that has been repaired as long as it was done RIGHT!

I do not use my sunroof often.

Cheers
Old 07-26-2006, 10:14 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by mborkow
mr_bock doesn't have a choice (since his was crushed), but don't you think you will hurt your resale value if you replace the roof?
LOL. Jim is a thin electrode wire away from a full, weld-in cage. Unless you have a cup car, anyone racing a street Porsche is not too worried about resale.
Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks everyone for the input.... I will have to think this over a lot. True the car is less 'original' now and with the repairs even more so. I do intend to keep this car for a very long time and now that it is not pristine/nor a colectors car, I may be heading towards more DE's and perhaps track car.

My car is at the body shop but nothing has been started. Still working with the insurance company on this. The story is to be continued...
Old 07-27-2006, 02:50 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I know there is a belief at dealers that sunroof cars are more desirable for resale purposes. They are VERY reluctant to order a sunroof delete car. The people who would want a SR delete car are tall people, track junkies and people like my dad who never use them and think of them as one more thing to break/leak/rattle. On the other side, you have your sunroof open all the time folks and those who use it now and then. When I bought my current car, the initial fotos made it look like a SR delete car and the SR was not mentioned in the ad text. It wouldn't have been a dealbreaker to me as SY 993tt's are not the most common. In fact, though, the car did have one and I use it often albeit not all the time. If I were not going to seriously track the car or need the headroom, I'd repair it WITH a SR. My two cents.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:21 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like moon roofs and will always have them-my SUV and both cars have them. The Bronco doesnt have one in the winter when the top goes on but I dont drive it in the winter.

Nothing better than catching a little sunshine and breeze-even when its cold out. Rolling down the windows causes to much breeze and the moon roof doesnt really cause any. I have my moonroof open all the time. I would not have purchased my car unless it had one.

As far as being too tall and the helmet hitting-Im 6' and dont track so it doesnt apply to me.

Ever got a speeding ticket by an airplane? Not me because I can see them when my moonroof is open and keep an watchful on them. Maybe Im just paranoid!
Old 07-27-2006, 03:28 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A bit off topic, but is it possible to change a solid sunroof with a smoked glass one?

For awhile I teetered toward a Targa, but in the end I preferred the coupe's lines a tad better. If I could have my cake and eat it too, it would be perfecto.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:21 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sunroof delete. It was on my search list and i believe it gives a much cleaner roof line. Also one less thing to break/rattle.
Old 07-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have often thought of deleting mine now. In fact for those who said they would have been willing to pay more for a sunroof delete car....you still can! Just lose it now.
Old 07-27-2006, 06:48 PM
MadMarkie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My sunroof removal project keeps climbing up my list as I slide down that slope, for the reasons already listed (especially helmet clearance and weight/cg improvement).

Geoffery wrote:
I replaced the sunroof with a non sunroof skin on my racecar. I think there was about 40lbs of weight savings and additional headroom was gained. Not a real big issue to change out.
So Geoffery... it sounds like you replaced the whole roof? Any details/tips/pictures? I was imagining a cf replacement panel, bonded in and painted... but would really like to see what everyone else has done! I would also like to keep/replace the headliner.
Old 08-01-2006, 03:19 PM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

I have decided that I would like to delete the sunroof... Now the question is 'Does Porsche have a 993 roof without the sunroof' I will be at my local dealer this Thursday where my friend from work is picking up his car and I will ask the parts department.

Does anyone who has the 'Factory' no sunroof know if there is internal stiffining braces or is the roof just a sheet of metal with no added stiffiners.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 03:33 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

George,
This should get you started. I will send a super helpful PDF to you via email

Andreas
Old 08-01-2006, 04:54 PM
Geoffrey
Nordschleife Master

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Mark,

I found a roof section from a 1969 911 and installed just the skin to my 964. I bonded along the roof channel and welded across the front and at the 4 corners. Here are a few pictures.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:52 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Andreas.... Thanks for the part number and the PDF file!!!!

Geoffrey... Great pictures!!! My body shop will be doing something just like what you did, cut locations, etc... Do have any underside pix of the roof? Do you know if the whole underside is smooth as in no added stiffining strips, etc...

I hope to get the parts on order this week!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Pro/Con for sunroof delete