Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Missing: viperbob aka Bob Brooks

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 09:37 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the "thumbsdown" icon in the title of this thread is a bummer...

hang in there bob, and best of luck to you!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:42 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob, sorry to hear you news.....its never easy......I am still best friends with my ex wife but it still was not easy....hope you both get through this ok.

Once you are over the hurdles come and join us in MD.....101 F......you will need an airconditioned shop!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

Bob,
firstly im sorry to hear of this. If there is anything that i can do, pls do not hesitate to call me at any time.

of course, i will join the chorus and suggest (as i have many times), that there is clearly alot of demand for your services outside of nyc in the surrounding areas in NJ, westchester and CT.
best
rob
Old 08-01-2006, 09:56 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Wow thanks everyone for the thoughts.... It is nice to have sooooo many friends around for support...

So far my thoughts on moving are

1) Norcal - got to love it there, also a TON of great people
2) SoCal - Many good folks down there
3) New Hampster - Lots of good people, close to a number of great tracks and no income / sales tax
4) St. Louis - Lived there for a long time and went to college and grad school there. Always loved the area and Lake of the Ozarks is close for summer boating
5) Texas - Cheap living and a lot to do
6) Carolinas - Spent a lot of time on business. Seems like a nice area,

These are my top thoughts so far, but have not ruled anything out....

Thanks again.....

Last edited by viperbob; 08-01-2006 at 02:05 PM.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:14 AM
Don Magee
Addict
Rennlist Member

When large corporations are scouting locations, local governments offer all sorts of tax breaks as an inducement. On behalf of Austin, let me bride you, excuse me, I mean offer you, a bunch of free BBQ, beer and margaritas. You will love the Texas girls, abundance of tracks, hill country roads, and absence of cold weather.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:16 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob,

Where ever you "land", I hope and I'm sure it will be good.

Stay focused, **** happens but eventually even the toughest **** cleans out.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry to hear the news...hold on to your strength and all the best of luck to you.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 523 Likes on 346 Posts
Cool Now Bob, let's talk here...

You write,
) Norcal - got to love it there, also a TON of great people. Too expensive to live decently.

2) SoCal - Many good folks down there Too expensive to live decently.

3) New Hampster - Lots of good people there, close to a number of great tracks and no income / sales tax There are a lot of young Hampsters there, given, but god awful winters...but the sea food is good

4) St. Louis - Lived there for a long time and went to college and grad school there. Always loved the area and Lake of the Ozarks is close for summer boating Talk about awful weather

5) Texas - Cheap living and a lot to do there. Agreed, lots to do, and you can drive for 2 days and still not be across the state.I have heard that bit is a great (Flat) place to live

6) Carolinas - Spent a lot of time on business there. Seems like a nice area. Now you are talking. I am somewhat infatuated with N. Carolina, and from what I hear, S. Carolina is very special too. Here is my read on the Greensboro are, my random sample of one city:
1. Buy a great home for $150,000, a mansion for $1,200,00,
2. Very nice and friendly people,
3. A year round permanent Farmers Market for fresh produce
3. No traffic
4. Great roads
5. Excellent food and drink
6. Incredible NASCAR heritage. I made a side trip to Charolette to see the speedway, just a few blocks from Dale Earnhardt Blvd. When the alien space ships arrive, they'll set up at Loew's Charlotte Motor Speedway, absolutely incredible

Greensboro would not have enough P-cars to set up a new business, in my humble opinion. But Raleigh Durham, Chapel area, possibly Charlotte.

The downside, Sunday is very quite in the Carolinas. Lots of businesses are closed, No Sunday Selling; its the Lord's day. However it is a great day for a BBQ, and a special time to break out all that cold beer in the refrig.

I may be taking up residence up there full time this fall...lots of ***** in the air now.

Wherever you go...let us know and we will flock to worship at your shrine/business.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

but living in the Carolinas would get old as NASCAR is broadcast on PBS, isnt it?
Old 08-01-2006, 12:31 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What about SLC, UT Valley?? This is coming from a former Silicon Valley guy and not Mormon either.

1. Best snow on earth
2. Extremely clean-I have never seen such a clean area
3. Cost of living is decent
4. Outdoor Meca
5. Mountain views everywhere
6. Only place in the world that truely experiences all 4 seasons.
7. No tornado's, hurricanes, humidity, or major disasters.
6. You can still get away with Pologamy!!!
Old 08-01-2006, 01:04 PM
Benton
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris walrod
but living in the Carolinas would get old as NASCAR is broadcast on PBS, isnt it?
haha, NASCAR on PBS. Probably so!

Whatever you do, don't move to Atlanta. I'm about 50 miles away and that is almost too close. Once I get a chance, I think I want to move to Charlotte's suburbs or the Greenville/Spartanburg area. EVERYONE loves those two places.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

you should consider somewhere just touching the tristate area .. despite the higher costs of living, there is no shortage of pcars and far too many people with more $$ than brains who would be willing to crack their wallet open for someone that is trustworthy and competent. Obviously, i have a dog in the hunt here.

For unbiased suggestions, what about somewhere in the rockies, like Co. Beautiful views, nice people, find a town that is affluent to support pcars (aspen, telluride, etc). Or , perhaps a growing town like Alberquerie (sp?) or Taos.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:47 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin S.

6) Carolinas - Spent a lot of time on business there. Seems like a nice area. [COLOR=Blue]Now you are talking. I am somewhat infatuated with N. Carolina, and from what I hear, S. Carolina is very special too. Here is my read on the Greensboro are, my random sample of one city:
1. Buy a great home for $150,000, a mansion for $1,200,00,
2. Very nice and friendly people,
3. A year round permanent Farmers Market for fresh produce
3. No traffic
4. Great roads
5. Excellent food and drink
6. Incredible NASCAR heritage. I made a side trip to Charolette to see the speedway, just a few blocks from Dale Earnhardt Blvd. When the alien space ships arrive, they'll set up at Loew's Charlotte Motor Speedway, absolutely incredible
The market has ticked upwards a bit from what I know, but still much cheaper living than most other places.

Greensboro would not have enough P-cars to set up a new business, in my humble opinion. But Raleigh Durham, Chapel area, possibly Charlotte.

Wilmywood has enough P-cars to support a nice quaint specialty shop. Hell most guys are driving hours to have their cars serviced at the nearest dealers (Raleigh or Charlotte), or going to the handful of "european" hacks we currently have.

The downside, Sunday is very quite in the Carolinas. Lots of businesses are closed, No Sunday Selling; its the Lord's day. However it is a great day for a BBQ, and a special time to break out all that cold beer in the refrig.

No, no, no, most of that crap is long gone, the only pisser is you can't buy beer 'til after 12 noon on Sunday's.
Old 08-01-2006, 02:02 PM
Abe Anderson
Advanced

Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear about the difficult times again, never easy but you will get through it.

The door is always welcome back in NH.

Abe
Old 08-01-2006, 02:16 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Maybe Abe I could work out a deal with Jerry. I'll live in the house he is not living in for 6 months out or the year. I could ski in NH, Maine and Vermont in the winters and then race in Daytona, Sebring etc in the summers and fall.... HMMMMM.....

Quick Reply: Missing: viperbob aka Bob Brooks