Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your significant other drive your P-car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 08:27 PM
SwissCarrera
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

are you guys kidding me ??? i know most Americans cant drive stick for §§§§, but this is unbelievable.
My other half drives my 993 all the time and has no probs at all - she used to "borrow" my 84 3.2 and her only comment was "needs a bit more poke"
I must explain though - she is Italian and the word slow just does not appear in their dictionary.
When we cross the border to Italy, i have lost count the amount of times that we launch away from the customs/passport guys in a cloud of smoke, with the customs guys smiling in approval.
Italian drivers like to tailgate to get you to move over - my Bella Donna just nails it every time............
now i guess some of you are thinking that she is just a lead foot warrior, but she has done just about every driver training cousre available here in Switzerland, skid pan, snow and ice etc, plus she used to run some quater mile fun with me in the UK
Therefore she can drive appropriately and she does know when to slow downa nd take care.......................
Ma advice is this - get your other halfs to drive your p-car as much as possible- it will give them confidence and it also means that they can drive you back from the bar in those cases when you get "overserved".
i alos suggest that you get them to do as many driver ed courses as possible - it does help and they will drive their own cars better ( my wife drives her AMG MB like a pro).
Regards
W.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:30 PM
ONEOFEW
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

I’ll probably end up in the dog house if she ever found out about my reply to this post.
Yes she does drive the 997 and I don’t like it a bit. Every time she drives away with it, my heart starts beating faster, and blood pressure shoots up.
But, I like to think there is a good in everything, she keeps away from my 993.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Rick
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why I have a cab with a Tip...my wife doesn't want to drive my car (I've invited her many times...) so I bought her one that suits her well.

With that said...she rately drives.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:43 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whenever she wants to. She is a great driver of manual trans cars as that is what she learned on in '79-'80. However, she drove my '96 twice in '98 and '99, and never has driven the '97 since '99 when i bought it...because she chooses not to. " That is a car with an attitude", says she. "You are correct", I reply.

She is looking for a good used Boxster, but it must be a stick. And yes ceb, I did try the "how about a 993 with a Tip" approach......(not that your s doesn't have a 'tude also!).
Old 05-23-2006, 09:44 PM
milrad
PS Armorer
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts

No way. She does not drive a stick and will not be learning on my 993. At least until I am ready for that LW Flywheel and RS clutch!

Jason
Old 05-23-2006, 10:14 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Are you kidding....???!!

Thankfully, NO...!!

I bought her a new jacked up Jeep with HUGE tires and looked like a Hummer before there was one.... it was "The Killa, honey...", she chirped.

Yeah...

But, it was a "stick" and I spent a couple weeks teaching her.... gracefully ... to drive it in the neighborhoods of Hotlanta. She did pretty good.... we were stopped by a cop wonderin' why we were drivin' up and down a cul de sac.

I sold the vehicle.

And, she don't drive the 993. Think she's getting a BMW 330xi in couple months. It is an automatic tranny car.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:37 PM
98_993_cab
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes. While she's more into motorcylces (the BMW was hers, not mine) I figure she's earned it... When we drove the 914-6 back from Anahiem the starter died, and she push started the car (before we were married, I might add) several times for me while enroute home. On a positive note, however, I can't fit in the passenger seat because of how we've got the booster seats arranged, and so I always drive when the kids are riding with us!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:47 PM
DocTock993
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The 993 was originally purchased "for" my (ex)wife to use as her primary car.
In the divorce - I got the car!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:54 PM
dpressley
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default See Avatar!

I guess I'm lucky that my 1st car was a '59 MGA with no synrcromesh to 2nd gear, so I also learned to double-clutch. Maybe that makes Pete unlucky?
Being a gentleman and my best friend, he even made me drive it before he bought it.
Yes I drive the 993 - to autocrosses and back.
Now I hear I may be out on the track in Sept... I'll keep ya posted!

Deb
Old 05-24-2006, 12:24 AM
Rhonda Harmon
4th Gear

My 67yr old mother drives mine all the time when she visits! You should see the looks she gets. She's 5'1" and wears thick glasses too. God I just love her!
Old 05-24-2006, 03:36 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 35 Posts

My wife has driven the 993 just once in three years. I've asked her to see if she wants to drive it, but she said she's too scared.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:43 AM
dhicks
Drifting

My wife cannot drive a stick and sees no reason to learn as she always intends to have an automatic....and anyway she says she would hate to drive mine incase ANYTHING happened to it while in her charge!!!
Old 05-24-2006, 09:11 AM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dhicks
My wife cannot drive a stick and sees no reason to learn as she always intends to have an automatic....and anyway she says she would hate to drive mine incase ANYTHING happened to it while in her charge!!!
This is pretty much my situation...she really isn't a "car person" and doesn't really care anything about driving the 993. She is happy with her Lexus...and I'm happy that she is happy with it...
Old 05-24-2006, 10:58 AM
Traffic53
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so you'll trust the wifes/girlfriends with your *****- but the car- no way? that's something.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:11 AM
Harrison
3rd Gear

Mine still thinks the seat is stuck all the way back. (fixed 9-05)shhhhh.

Quick Reply: Does your significant other drive your P-car?