Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 07:10 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

OMG! I dont what to day other than I am truly sorry to see this. WOW!

I hope that you'll find a bodywork genius to get her fixed just like before.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:16 PM
SeattlePorsche
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not trying to be a smart aleck, but just to keep things in perspective, it could be a lot worse. I have a friend that wasn't his cheery self. After a little questioning he finally admitted that he recently lost his 3 year old grandson. His grandson ran out the front door to say goodbye to somebody and was ran over by a truck. At least your car will be fixed. Cheer up. It will be better.

By the way your interior is fantastic mrbock.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:53 PM
autobonrun
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
From what I see the door seams look good. The wing glass did not break.

The damage is not going to be cheap, but it looks like the car did not get really badly beat up. Count your blessings.

Damn beam!
I agree. The fact that the wing glass is intack most likely means the stresses never reached that portion of the car. These cars are designed to handle a rollover and this proves just how strong they are. Hopefully it's a matter of straightening the roof skin and replacing the windshield and windshield frame.

I think your baby will be back to her old self within a few weeks.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:16 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Mr. Bock,

That really doesn't look too bad. A good body shop can fix it properly and there appears to be no structural damage. This will be fine... just a lot of stress. When Rufus was delivered to me, the trucking company had a 40-pound tow hook resting on the roof. It dented the roof a little, and the sunroof a bit. I got two estimates... both were around $1100. Yours should be close... plus the price of the windshield. This too shall pass.
Old 05-14-2006, 09:27 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be - still terrible, but looks very fixable. Keep us posted on the progress of course!

(I actually think the beam was a blessing in disguise - if it had been a flat ceiling, I think it would have been worse and the damage would not be as localized as it is)
Old 05-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

BTW, is your safety shutoff tucked up behind the beam? I seem to remember that there is a padded bar usually across the two towers so then a car gets really high it shuts off the lift. After the car is all fixed and you are starting to feel better, I would but the safety switch bar just under the beam, if not for peace of mind.

Best of luck!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2006, 11:43 PM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

I have to agree with the others - while not pretty, it's not nearly as bad as I had imagined. Please keep us informed!!
Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 AM
Alan993S
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you must be devastated - hope you get it sorted soon...
Old 05-15-2006, 08:25 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

The plan is to get the installer and a company rep. to the house today to get the car down and off the lift. I will know more as to if the metal creased or just got dented in. The door open with only a small amount of sticking at the top edge of the side window frame and the gasket. No metal to metal contact. I hope to get my baby back to her old self real soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was no stop switch or light beam installed. As I would have to hold the switch button right at the lift, I felt that I would see the lift progress and stop it way before the beam. I would never have guessed that the switch would 'malfunction'. I am not an electrical engineer and would not know how to wire in a safety switch that would override the main contacts. The lift is mechanicaly awesome, 3/4" steel everything, large hydralic rams, etc.... it appears that the electric switch is cheap crap IMHO. We will see how this plays out.

Needles to say, I will insist on improved start/stop switch and safety switch.

Again, thanks for all kind support. George B.
Old 05-15-2006, 09:03 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow...its bad enough but I have to admit my mind had imagined much much much worse.....Jack at Europros will clean this up no issues....I have seen a LOT worse in his work place that has come out looking like it was just shipped from Germany!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 07:51 AM
mr_bock
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

An update, the installer and a company rep. came to my house Monday to see if they can get the car down and look at the switch. The switch does not show any outward damage, but a close sniff will tell you something inside burnt. The switch by the way looks like a simple normaly open push button type. I was sort of expecting a seperate relay or such to handle high amp loads???? Again, I am not an electrical guy, and can only guesse as to what is acceptical. The lift is sitting on the safety locks and would need to be raised up about 2" to release, and add more damage..... not an option. The plan is to bring in a portable lift (sort of like a pallet jack on steroids) that will go under the car and lift it just enough to swing my lift arms out from under the car. The portable lift will have to support the car at the suspension mounting points as these appear to be the only other places to go to as the normal points are taken by my lift arms. Hopefully if all goes well, the car can be lowered to the ground. The interior will need to be vaccumed and the windshield taped to prevent more glass from falling in. I will take more pictures and hope the repairs are not too bad.

Till then, thanks to all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-16-2006, 09:15 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Best of luck to you.

Make sure you take photos as you go--I wouldn't let the rep, etc. into the switches, etc. without first taking pictures along the way (trying to keep him honest).
Old 05-16-2006, 10:14 AM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 383 Likes on 223 Posts

If you go to EuroPros be sure to get a firm estimate and completion date up front. Then examine your car very, very carefully before you accept it. I've used them twice and while the work was pretty good it was nowhere near perfect; the price was a lot higher than originally quoted and the promised delivery date was just a rough estimate. They can do excellent work and Jack seems to be a nice guy who obviously knows his stuff but.... caveat emptor. I'm not sure I'd go back there.

You could also try Wagenwerks in VA. I've heard good things about them but have never used them.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:22 AM
dhicks
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow George....I am surprised to hear this.....I have used Jack twice now and while they were late on delivery......the job was great.....and I would use them again.....
Old 05-16-2006, 12:46 PM
ppressle
Rennlist Member

Mr Bock,

I would be very concerned about lifting your car further to get the lift to clear the safety stops.

I would consider taking a cutting torch to the safety stops if it would allow me to lower the car without doing more damage to it. You would still want supplemental support, but you don't want to do more damage to the car unless you are looking to total it.

I suspect that the cost of the entire lift is small compared to the cost of repairing the car...

Just something to consider.

Best of luck to you.
Pete

Quick Reply: My Sad, Sad Fraiday....