Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your Wife/GF Share Your Preference for a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 01:00 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts
Default Does Your Wife/GF Share Your Preference for a Porsche?

Hi,

Today is the first sunny weekend in quite a while. We have business to attend to in Monterey, so I asked my wife, "Honey, it's going to be beautiful and dry, should we take the RUF to Monterey?".

"Well, it's kind of low, and I may get car-sick, and it's impractical if we stopped and shopped for strawberries, etc. etc. , So we'll just take my Odyssey, ok?"

"OK honey."

That kind of breaks my heart. I love my wife dearly, and would love to share my happiest moments with her. I was thinking what can be more perfect than a drive down the Pacific Coast Highway on a glorious warm day in a RUF. Green fields all around, bright blue sky, aqua ocean... You get the picture. Unfortunately, since she's not a big fan of sporty vehicles, (she loves high seating positions and a commanding view of the roads) that means that we may never share my favorite drives together in the RUF. Bummer.

Does your significant other loves to ride in your Porsche? If not, does that lessen your enjoyment of the car?

BTW, turns out that our daughter joined us on the trip as well, so that precludes the RUF. (She's 20 years old, so the back seat is out for her) We took the RX330, and it was a wonderful family trip.

Thanks for hearing me out.

CP

Last edited by CP; 03-20-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:31 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

My wife now has a Porsche that she drives daily. She really likes it and is starting to appreciate what Porsche is all about. We both enjoy driving the Boxster.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:33 AM
gordo993
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fellow PCA members wonder if I am really married, as my wife doesn't want any part of the Porsche experience.

Kinda bums me out, too.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:40 AM
Air Kuul TT
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pong,

Glad to hear that you guys had a great trip... I have to hide the 993TT keys from Jodi.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:02 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Most girls I've met like the way the Pcar looks, but don't like riding in them. All the better if you ask me - I'd rather put miles on her car than waste miles in my 993 with a person who doesn't appreciate it. They're girls, it's not their thing. How many of you guys enjoy shopping for clothes...

Adrienne, Joanne - the exceptions
Old 03-20-2006, 02:10 AM
Father of 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

My Wife is just like your Wife CP. She loves the look of my car but has very little interest being a passenger in my car. I hear the same things. Too low, makes her sick, too bumpy etc. The only thing she likes is my heated seats.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:14 AM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

non 993 owners apply? lol

My G/F LOVES the 951. Well at least when i'm beign civil. She's dying to own a Cayenne.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:18 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Wes,

Cute Avatar. Yes, any Porsche model applies.

Well, if I had a Cayenne, my wife will have no issues being a passenger. She certainly would have an issue with why we'd pay so much for an SUV though.

CP
Old 03-20-2006, 02:34 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

cp, melissa is 20 years old? i though she's in HS.
gladly my wife hates porsches. someone's has to stop me from spending my retirement fund on these money pits.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 AM
tracke30m3
Instructor

My gf loves the 993, she even encourages me step on it so she can hear the exhaust whenever we use the car. She loves it when we take long drives in it, I let her drive it once in awhile. Best of all, she even volunteers to clean and wax it.

She's a keeper eh?
Old 03-20-2006, 08:14 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

They're girls, it's not their thing.
I beg to differ.

My wife absolutely loves riding in the Porsche. She finds it exhilarating and always asks if we can take it when we are going somewhere. She didn't know a damn thing about them before we got together but I was upfront with her from the get-go. When we first started dating I told her that I had a "little problem"....that I was infatuated with 993's and that I would own one shortly. I showed her pictures of my '88 and 'educated' her on the 911 differences...to the point that she could pick one out as it passed by....or she would tell me that she saw one that day. I believe that I am very lucky. It really makes it easier to explain the mods as well.

Dave
Old 03-20-2006, 08:17 AM
Fred, Long Island
Racer

She has all kinds of reasons not to ride in it....too low, etc. Thinks her oldsmobile is safer. Now this is the original 'bad passenger' who has no clue how poorly she drives. I'm the one who should stay out of the car with her.
I've gotten used to not having someone in the passenger seat. There's been a 911 in the garage since 1983!
On the other hand, the granddaughters visit a few times a year and can't wait to get in it. Now that warms my heart......
Old 03-20-2006, 08:48 AM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My really could care less. It looks nice, but to her if it has four wheels and gets you from one place to another (safely.....all things considered ) then its just aother car. Now unlike CP's S.O., she wouldn't keep us from taking the P-car, but she has no yearning to take it over anything else.
On the flip side, she knows how much this stuff means to me, and doesn't stand in the way when it comes to the car, racing, etc......in fact I was reading to her yesterday, the add in Pano about the advertisement for the 11 day tour of Germany in a P-car, yada, yada, yada, and that I was blown away by the price of $5500 pp(double occ). She says "you should do it" .......WHAT? What did she say? Do it? She says "yeah, thats like your ultimate trip, right?" OMG she does get me!
Old 03-20-2006, 08:56 AM
mhm993
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 148 Posts

The wife is kind enough to let me drive her boxster. But I let her drive my 993, so it's a deal. (Tough life, huh?)
The only drawback is that mods cost us twice as much...!
Old 03-20-2006, 09:05 AM
dhicks
Drifting

My wife is not a car lover at all....."honey cars are to get you from a-b, safe and sound and in a as much comfort as possible"......."I dont mind your car, its just not relaxing to travel in"......."I am glad it makes you happy"........"why does everything you do to your car end in $X,000" ...... "Why dont you buy a BMW, they are just as fast, can carry 4 adults in comfort and dont cost as much to look after"........."you want to borrow my car cos you dont want to start yours for a two mile journey to get coffee".............does all this sound familiar to anybody????

Quick Reply: Does Your Wife/GF Share Your Preference for a Porsche?