Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does Your Wife/GF Share Your Preference for a Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2006, 10:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts

Dave, that was a wonderful anecote. Thx for sharing it!

Steve R
Old 03-21-2006, 10:25 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

My wife and I take our young daughters out for ice cream/lunch/etc. in the Cab, which has been a lot of fun. My wife is pretty good about the P-car. I don't push it on her, though.

I've been more amazed that she is actually willing to fly with me. I've taken her and the kids on a number of flights and she is starting to prefer it over flying commercial--something about knowing that there are no terrorists on board and I don't pat her down.....much.
Old 03-21-2006, 12:01 PM
ed devinney
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Midnight C4S
not only the best time he ever had in a car but the first time he had ever sat in Bucket seats! He has passed away now but I always enjoy knowing how much fun he had.
What a terrific story - thanks!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:52 PM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great story Midnight!
Old 03-21-2006, 03:28 PM
shmark
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife really enjoys the Porsche, has autocrossed with me many times. She also helps me work on things, like changing the clutch in the 928. Sorry guys, she's a keeper.
Old 03-21-2006, 05:13 PM
SwayBar
Race Car

Received 325 Likes on 224 Posts

Alright guys, here's an email straight from the beautiful girlfriend after sending her the link to this thread to read. She got a couple things backwards (..those are perfectly rev-matched double-clutched downshifts) but you'll get the gist.

Totally unedited:

###### Email Start ######

I did not think the 993 was a rough ride until you changed the suspension-it is a much stiffer ride now--how is that an enjoyable plus for a passenger?
I do enjoy riding in it, like when we went to Michigan last summer (or was that the summer before?).
I prefer being lower to the road, I like the feeling of the lower center of gravity; I just may need help ( a push or pull!) out on occasion.

I do not like it when you drive like you are at the race track--I don't need the showing off, OK?
I don't like it when my head hits the back of the seat repeatedly because you think you need to downshift through three gears to slow the car, or you need to accelerate at mach speeds, or you make g-force lane changes--I get a headache and nausea from all that-- and I can't sit the entire time of the drive with a stiff upper body trying to anticipate and/or avoiding the head bouncing--unless you are willing to pay for a trip to a masseur and chiro for me--again, how is that an enjoyable plus for a passenger?
(perhaps a head strap would help!)

I like your 993 the best because it is the least powerful ( and of course sexiest looking) of your cars-- save the track driving for when you are at the track--and by yourself--

yes, it is fun to drive hard, for the driver, but much less fun for the passenger--
if you want me to enjoy riding with you, then you need to drive your 993 in a way that is enjoyable for me--

p.s. tell me what my favorite flower is--

###### Email End ######

By the way, I NAILED that little unsuspecting pop-quiz at the end; whew!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:10 PM
avillena
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife of 36 years..., so so about Porsches, she loves MBZ, we have two. However, she's very protective of the Porsche, go figure. On the other hand, my 9 year old granddaughter has her eyes set on the Targa; she said, "Pops, this is the car where I will learn how to drive"
Happy Driving!!!
Old 03-21-2006, 07:22 PM
Kigiin
Rennlist Member

Received 704 Likes on 390 Posts

Haven't read all the posts so may be redundant, but have to pull a Seinfeld on the title of this post... what about boyfriends (or girlfriends if replied by a woman). Yes, it is the 21st century and we have to acknowledge a partner of the same sex? I am not one to share these-type feelings, but in the spirit of Jerry Seinfeld.... "not that there is anything wrong with that"

Rob

Sorry to not advance the topic, but was feeling a little feisty.
Old 03-21-2006, 11:41 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought my wife a 996 in 01 to replace her beloved 96 600SL.
She now tells me I can not ever sell her car. That's fair enough
as long as I drive the 993 when we go out together.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:21 AM
Gelatomonster
Instructor

These are her Modern Favorite
1. 993
2. 964

She detest everything else (ferrari, lamborghini, included) except I believe MclarenF1.
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Midnight C4S
Pro

Hey Swaybar, Good email from the GF. I think she sounds reasonable enough, and I always try to remember that from the pass seat it is a lot less fun. I wonder how many of us have never sat there? I let me best friend from college drive it once and I kept telling him to punch it. He was scared to death of wrecking it.

Ed and SC thanks I lived so far away from my Grandfather and he had 11 children and lots of grandkids so I only saw him every so often, really cherished the time I had with him.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:08 PM
Paulsha911
Racer

Here is my wife checking out her to-be new (old) ride... She is loving it since...

Old 03-23-2006, 12:31 PM
curveraider
Racer

It is always fun to read about the involvement of SO's and families. My wife loves the 993, but we have 2 young kids and a roll bar in the back (no back seat). Therefore, I usually go out for drives on my own, unless we can get a sitter. I will probably catch some heat for this, but I am thinking about getting a Cayenne, just so the family can be more involved with Porsche's. I know, I know it has water, it is front engine it is a f-ing SUV that drinks gas faster then I can drink beer, but at least I could tow my 4S to the track and maybe get my kids ready for some serious driving
Old 03-23-2006, 12:32 PM
LuisGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by curveraider
It is always fun to read about the involvement of SO's and families. My wife loves the 993, but we have 2 young kids and a roll bar in the back (no back seat). Therefore, I usually go out for drives on my own, unless we can get a sitter. I will probably catch some heat for this, but I am thinking about getting a Cayenne, just so the family can be more involved with Porsche's. I know, I know it has water, it is front engine it is a f-ing SUV that drinks gas faster then I can drink beer, but at least I could tow my 4S to the track and maybe get my kids ready for some serious driving
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a Cayenne, I see one in my horizon as well.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:38 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Arlen,

You wife seemed to really enjoy our drive to the Rumble together. You have a winner there.

A Cayenne is a great family hauler. I hope they have fixed up all the little niggles here and there by now.

CP

Quick Reply: Does Your Wife/GF Share Your Preference for a Porsche?