Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
View Poll Results: Does your 993 see the Track?
Never
41.76%
Occasionally: Less than 50%
38.46%
Often: More than 50%
14.29%
Exclusively: It's a rat
5.49%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 993 see the track?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 12:22 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Does your 993 see the track?

I'm a new 993 owner and just joined my local PCA. They've posted the DE schedule for this year and I plan on attending 5 D/E events this year - lots to learn and really looking forward to it.

My car is (soon to be was) a bit of a G-Queen - 19K miles. I would like to know how many on this board actually track their car?

I see so many threads on weight reduction and suspension mod's. I see lots of high mileage examples and lots of daily drivers. Just curious.
Cheers,
Bob
Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

My car is, shall we say, bit out of place on the street.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:30 PM
cowtown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though it's 10 years old now, I see the 993 as too nice a car to track. I take my 75 to the track and save the 993 for commuting and fun runs on weekends.
Old 02-10-2006, 12:59 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

My 95 is my street car and at this time I have no plans for building a track car nor would I ever use this chassis to do so.

As you go down the slippery slope to race/track ready you will spend multi thousands putting aftermarket bits on your car while driving down it's overall value....not a good trade off for me, but you may enjoy doing it even if your significant other doesn't.
My advice is to leave the car stock for the time being & learn how to drive it very well, then if you want to go faster, you will have all the knowledge to add what you need not what others just suggest.

Full blown racing the car is very hard on the drive train and can lead to expensive repairs (ie; 1ea missed downshift = blown motor = approx. $14k) as well as multi sets of tires, new brakes every few months and so much other expensive crap to stay competitive it's not funny!

However, controlled DE events are highly recommended as these cars handle differently from other cars at their limit and training is the best way to keep it out of the fence.

I wish you great luck & success in whatever way you choose to use your 993 but keep in mind if you wreck it at a track event you will be more than bummed, you'll be heartbroken**.................

ZP44

**I'm speaking from experience
Old 02-10-2006, 01:13 PM
Don Plumley
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I sold a pristine 87 Carrera (too nice to track) and purchased a 993 to turn into a dedicated DE/track car.

When I drove it home, I thought to myself, "Hmmm, these would make excellent daily drivers." Then I started to rip out the interior.

That being said, if I purchased a perfect 98 C4S (and I will one day), I wouldn't track it.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:18 PM
Dan V
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

see the 993 as too nice a car to track
those are words I live by -- for now. there's just too much temptation on the track, even a relatively safe one like Thunderhill.

I did 2 auto-x and 2 track days last year during my first 6 months of ownership, because for the first 3 events at least I was still under warranty, so I had a legitimate purpose in trying to shake out any bugs (there weren't any other than a leaking steering rack).
Old 02-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep.

(That's enuf for your stupid poll)
Old 02-10-2006, 01:28 PM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Yes, but not as much as it would like to.

Love to see the garage queens at the track. You know, the ones with a dozen rolls of painters tape plastered all over.
Old 02-10-2006, 01:53 PM
dhicks
Drifting

Mark....not only in looks.......I remember the sound of your exhaust....my ears are still ringing from last May at Rockville Starbucks!!!!
Old 02-10-2006, 03:32 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Can't wait to get mine on the track. It's the only way you can really get to appreciate the car without trying to kill yourself on the street.
Old 02-10-2006, 03:56 PM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

....but I did drive my rat to work today.
Old 02-10-2006, 04:14 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

You bought a last year of production 993 with very low miles that sounds like it was cared for. I had a similar 1998 low mile car. My car was not my every day ride. It came out for low risk, nice weather driving where I didn't have to park it anywhere questionable.

I have somewhat of a concours and factory original orientation but that's just me. I liked whenever I took anything apart on the car it looked like it just came off the production line. Richard Laurier, one of our fellow Rennlisters, is my hero, see what I mean:

My car was not even close to this, but this is what I like. Anyway, track time is hard on a car from this aspect. It will tear it up, relatively speaking. If my intent was to track a street driven 993, a less rare, higher-mile, regularly driven car would be my choice. I'm sure a couple of DE's wouldn't hurt but if I had your car, I wouldn't track it. If you really want to track, why not buy a purpose built race car without the leather and A/C and all the other goodies that are going to break and be expensive to fix? Something that won't kill you emotionally if it gets damaged?
Old 02-10-2006, 04:23 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice pic, see those exhaust pieces are jethot coated (nice touch). Love the car in your av. That was my all time dream car growing up.......well the younger years of the growing up thing anyway(still have yet to really do it!)
Old 02-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Ralph Spinnato
Track Day

Take it to the track - I have a gorgeous 97 Targa - First year:Helmet, 2nd year:five part harness,3rd yearwe had gasket leak so while in there) light weight fly wheel and Euro RS cams and Fire extinguisher, This Year:Suspension upgrade, in car camera, dedicated track wheels with R compound Tires. The car takes some nicks - but carefully place racers tape helps a lot. For me there's no more fun than driving "your maximmum" at the track. Have Fun.
Old 02-10-2006, 06:06 PM
forklift
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I drove my car on a Sunday around NOVA a few weeks ago and told my friends that I would have sold the car by now if I didn't track it. Traffic is ridiculous, even in the western suburbs. Second gear will get you in trouble and third will get you arrested. Even if there wasn't traffic, finding the limits of traction on the street is silly stupid, but fun on the track.

With that said, I can understand owning the car and not tracking it, but it's not something I could do. I couldn't spend that much money for something that I couldn't really use (properly). It is a performance car.

Quick Reply: Does your 993 see the track?