Old 11-27-2005 | 05:25 AM
nels415
Addict
Rennlist Member

Very sad...Please include me as well.
Old 11-27-2005 | 05:43 AM
Feehliks
Instructor

Why shouldn't a Targa roof be a body part? Because it is not welded in? Then a front fender wouldn't be a "body part" either. No, that does not make sense. The Targa roof is part of the body structure. You cannot compare this with a convertible top, even though the Targa and Cabriolet are similar cars.

The DSM has considered this a warranty issue and he was right!

This sounds like Porsche's management is trying to avoid their liabilities under warranty.

Quite dissapointing.

Felix
Old 11-27-2005 | 05:45 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Count me in as a disillusioned customer. I currently am driving my 17th Porsche over many years. It happens to be only the 3d one that I've bought as pre-owned. I've been considering a new 997 C4 Cab and have put that "on hold" I'm hoping for a satisfactory resolution for you, Mike.
Old 11-27-2005 | 09:44 AM
a18agy
Intermediate

Count me in
Old 11-27-2005 | 12:22 PM
jkuniverse
Racer

Mike, count me in. I wish you the best and hope you win this battle.
Old 11-27-2005 | 12:40 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

The new Aston Martin V8 is starting to look pretty good to me right now. I am sooo disappointed with the way the Porsche, the world's most profitable auto manufacturer had to be "forced" to warranty the wiring harness, still won't handle the valve guide wear issues or the SAI smog issues. Shame on you Porsche. You charge plenty of money for your cars... now start standing behind them.
Old 11-27-2005 | 01:01 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Default 993 Targa corrosion

Mike, I support your effort in dealing with PCNA and wish you the best of luck. I went through the SAI issue on my 97 with no resolve. A body panel is a body panel and is part of the roof support structure.This should be covered. I too was also considering the purchase of a 997S and the determination on this one may sway my decision. I'm in. This is no longer about wishing you "Good Luck" with this. It's the consequences to PORSCHE from PORSCHE owners and customers. If we don't buy it effects their bottom line. - Don Dietrich
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:05 PM
psulion1
AutoX

Count me in too Mike.

Best Regards,
Paul
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:17 PM
k lee
Addict
Rennlist Member

ditto. i'm in. good luck fighting the fight.
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:20 PM
Bins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Count me in too.

Even though the Porsche and Porsche dealers treatment of Porsche owners in the US is bad, their treatment of owners in UK is even worse.
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:32 PM
kkim
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike,

Just a thought, once you get the number of supporters you want/need, perhaps if Porsche does not see things your way you could mention your intent on forwarding this thread to auto customer satisfaction survey groups like JD Powers and the like.

Good luck... you seem to have lots of support from this board both here and abroad.
Old 11-27-2005 | 07:50 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Supporting stats...

Hello all,

Here is the current list of supporters as of this posting time:

1 - Pedro356C
2 - DJF1
3 - Flying Finn
4 - pcar964
5 - ca993twin
6 - Bull
7 - fbfisher
8 - kkim
9 - hotrdd911
10 - Air Kuul TT
11 - c993k
12 - sidned
13 - Adrienne
14 - shafo
15 - mrsullivan
16 - ed devinney
17 - Ms Kita
18 - Ron
19 - Williet1324
20 - Alan C.
21 - sptschoice
22 - C4S_fan
23 - Terry Adams
24 - touf
25 - Mark in Baltimore
26 - cabrio993
27 - STAR57
28 - karry993
29 - 993polarsilver
30 - curveraider
31 - Rob993
32 - the_buch
33 - pjc
34 - a17sbn
35 - Rick
36 - Jeff
37 - MN993
38 - SS 81 SC
39 - Paul E. Dodd
40 - mnmblu
41 - epj993
42 - RS man
43 - FisterD
44 - jmriggie
45 - Jason M.
46 - vjd3
47 - Acropora
48 - Dan V
49 - Soltino
50 - Greg Bell
51 - FlatSIx911
52 - nels415
53 - Feehliks
54 - MikeAlwaysWins
55 - a18agy
56 - jkuniverse
57 - ca993twin
58 - diet97997
59 - psulion1
60 - k lee
61 - Bins

Given PCNA is essentially a sales organization I think some of the comments bout holding back on buying various Porsche cars is pretty strong.

I will try to do a seperate posting to answer some of the questions that have been asked.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-27-2005 | 08:13 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by pcar964
Count me in - what do you think is the best course of action, multiple individual letters, or one letter signed by all of us? Let me know what I can do.
I am going to attach this thread to my letter to PCNA if it comes to that. If they need names/numbers then I can asked the individuals via PM.

Originally Posted by Bull
It is a structural part of the car, which has been weakened by rust, and will continue to become more compromised. I wonder if PCNA really wants to deny the claim and later face the result of a rollover accident with a roof that is weakened by a manufacturer's defect, of which the manufacturer was previously made aware?
Nice point...I might use that one!

Originally Posted by hotrdd911
I don'y own a targa but if you ask me it doesn't look like you are replacing the targa but the "body panel" that holds the targa top on??? CORRECT?
I think that Porsche should replace the entire roof which consists of cross members and rails that run down each side of the car. The side rails are listed in PET as "Targa panels" but I guess that is not a "body panel"...

Originally Posted by Alan C.
I was under the impression that the warranty was for perforation. It that is the terminology used then they may well deny the claim.:
Yes its for preferation and the wording is weird "from the inside out". Anyways from a strict legal sense they do have the advantage but from a marketing and product brand approach they might have some problems.

Originally Posted by kary993
Obviously they have had issues with Targa's before otherwise they would not deny the repair under the warranty..
I am not so sure about that. I could just be that the rep was after a pretty expensive top (I have heard its worth $22K CDN ) and someone in Germany counted the beans and said NO.

Originally Posted by curveraider
You have my vote! I was going to buy a Cayenne for trips to the snow. However, if their rust proofing is this bad, I may have to reconsider.!
Not these are the kind of comments that they will listen too..

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
An impassioned but polite letter to Peter Schwarzenbauer outlining the issues at hand just might be the easiest route right now. Porsche thinks you're going to go away; disabuse them of that notion. I've had excellent results when battling corporate giants by writing to either supervisors or CEO's and informing them that I am never going to go away and that I will make it my mission in life to reach a conclusion that is to my satisfaction. This intrepidness and determination can be highly effective in persuading others that finding a solution to your needs is, ultimately, mutally beneficial and the easiest course for them.
We are thinking alike on this one...I already have my letter drafted and am waiting for my meeting with the factory rep on Wednesday before launching it out (with this thread of course)!

Originally Posted by Acropora
I've been thinking my next car was going to be a 997 GT3 but this kind of customer service really gives me pause. They probably don't care but I agree this should be covered.
Again this is the kind of postiion that PCNA will listen to...

Originally Posted by Feehliks
Why shouldn't a Targa roof be a body part? Because it is not welded in? Then a front fender wouldn't be a "body part" either. No, that does not make sense. The Targa roof is part of the body structure. You cannot compare this with a convertible top, even though the Targa and Cabriolet are similar cars.
Another good arguement which I am likely to use...thanks!

And again...

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The new Aston Martin V8 is starting to look pretty good to me right now.
and again

Originally Posted by diet97993
I too was also considering the purchase of a 997S and the determination on this one may sway my decision.
Originally Posted by kkim
Mike,

Just a thought, once you get the number of supporters you want/need, perhaps if Porsche does not see things your way you could mention your intent on forwarding this thread to auto customer satisfaction survey groups like JD Powers and the like.
I had not thought of that angle...great idea! With the advent of the internet bad news can travel pretty fast and its also easy for a single individual to get information out to a lot of people. I am not sure how aware Porsche is about the the effect their decisions may have.

Thanks every one for the support and the ideas...keep it coming if anything more occurs to you.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-28-2005 | 10:58 AM
Rob 97 993c2
Three Wheelin'

sorry for the late reply.

Count me in as well.
Old 11-28-2005 | 12:49 PM
Bruce SEA 993
Addict
Rennlist Member

You have my support.

I try to be a loyal customer and stay with the brand I love. There are many on this list with multiple Porsches and newer cars as well as the 993. There are also many who have moved up to the newer cars.This group is in one of the best positions to be customers of the new Porsche cars as they come out. We also are in the best position to recommend Porsche to others. The support or lack of same by Porsche as a nit pick of the leagal-ize in their warranty makes me take a step back. Your car was serviced by a authorized Porsche dealer with Porsche on the building. It scares me theat they are hiding behind a technicality.

Quick Reply: Please help me to petition Porsche....