Please help me to petition Porsche....

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S_fan
I'm glad to read you're making progress Mike. We're all pulling for you... have fun at Bruce's course! Take some pics would ya?
Hmmm,. it might be pushing it to call it progress!

Yup, bringing my camera and audio recording devices, Waynes and Bruce's books and my usual self...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-02-2005, 01:29 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's really irksome in this case, is that a rust warranty is supposed to protect an owner from premature, unusual or structurally compromising perforation damage. A warranty informs the owner that the manufacturer is confident enough in its product to stand behind it for a reasonable period of time.

In looking at those pictures of your badly rusted out roof pieces and telling you to take a hike, Porsche is effectively saying that that rust is normal and worse, acceptable. Are they saying that the life expectancy of a 993 Targa roof is less than ten years? To my unbiased eyes, that rust is 100% the result of poor seal-design. Whether it's technically a body panel or not - all legal semantics aside - One would think they would be aghast at the damage caused by their own design flaw.

I was planning to purchase a 997 in the next twelve months. Though I will always keep my 993, and since childhood have been irrationally enamored with the Porsche marque, I am sufficiently bothered by Mike's experience to reconsider and actually look at some of the other enthusiast vehicles in the same price range. (something I would have considered a sacrilige ten years ago..).

Whether Porsche likes it or not, as a car manufacturer they have the added burden of being a legend. They charge a ton for their products, which a lucky few gladly pay for.
But it shouldn't end there. Porsche should never get caught expecting less of its vehicles than its owners do.

After all, It is a two way street.

(I will now climb down from my soapbox...)
Old 12-02-2005, 01:38 PM
Ralph Spinnato
Track Day

As an owner of a 97 Targa I am shocked by what I have seen in your photos and even more shocked by PNA. Let us know what you need for support.
Old 12-02-2005, 01:57 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike J
- Porsche's position is the Targa is a Cab body with a top much like a Cab. Therefore the top has the same warranty as a Cab top which is the standard car warranty. The corrosion warranty does not cover the cab top. He also mentioned that the roof was outsourced. I pointed out that this policy does not makes sense since the whole car is a Porsche and that policy is certainly not written down anywhere..
Not that it is relevant, but I believe the 993 targas actually are the same car as the 993 cab, they don't start out as a 993 coupe.

You have my support on this. Rust is rust, and the warranty should protect you.
Old 12-02-2005, 05:20 PM
David '96 993
Pro

I wholeheartly support you on this matter.

I am a huge fan of Porsche (the car) as I have owned many. I have however been VERY dissappointed with Porsche as a company. I had to deal with them on the SAI issue and was turned away like so many others before and after me, but that is another story.

Good luck.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Anir
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

Man, has Porsche got too big for its collective britches or what? That is not a subtle case of rust!

Count me in, as well, on your petition.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:07 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

As a targa owner from an earlier model fixing rust as well, add me to the list. Warranty is Warrenty.
Old 12-03-2005, 01:22 AM
MikeAlwaysWins
Addict
Rennlist Member

Mike, I'm behind you as well...
Old 12-03-2005, 10:50 PM
944kid
Banned

Mike,

I'll support you. The whole "body starts out as a cab" BS shouldn't fly. Metal is attached to the frame/unibody (whichever you prefer ) Which makes it a part of the body. If it rusts before the warranty, and you didn't take 80 grit sandpaper to it (exaggeration) then they should be held accountable. I hope this goes well for you. Sorry if I missed anything, I've been on here since 4pm and I don't feel up to the task of reading the current 8 pages.

The one time I visit the 993 forum...sheesh!!!

~the kid
Old 12-03-2005, 11:21 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

As a former 993 Targa and 996 Targa owner, add me to your list.

Even if this wasn't a warranty item, PCNA should take care of it out of goodwill since its obviously a design defect. But it is covered by warranty and their argument about body panels is a total crock.

It totally irks me when a company that stands and sells on its quality and pride doesn't lean over backwards to do the right thing and continue to earn our loyalty as customers.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Porscheologist
Racer

Mike sorry to read about your rust issues. I am sure Porsche will stand by its products. From the Porsche North American website I gathered a few gems:

"At the beginning of every thought and every deal, there is the customer."

That should be you!

"That is the philosophy of Porsche. Philosophies, however, cannot simply be proffered, they must be lived. The same applies, most importantly, to customer orientation. The last few years have shown that Porsche and its staff have understood that."

Really? Then they should prove it by taking care of your issue!!

"That is a promise. We shall keep it."

Actions speak louder than words! Fix the mans RUST!!

"Furthermore, we set no limits on Porsche quality"
Need I say more??

You have my support. Keep us posted!

Alex...Disappointed Porsche owner.
Old 12-04-2005, 02:38 PM
NeufCentOnze
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,

Please add me to the list... and best of luck.
Old 12-13-2005, 01:29 PM
anguilla1980
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts

Wow, this is apauling! I just made a post about buying a 993 and this really scares me away from the Targa which I love the look of! Please tell me this kind of damage is not indicative of these cars? I've read this entire thread and didn't see much reguarding this.

I sincerely hope you get this resolved promtly!!!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:24 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, i am still waiting for PCNA to see what they can do. I am getting very good at the waiting game. I do not know if its typical, it seems that its an unusual case. Unfortunately my specific rust you cannot see without removing the rear seals of the car (they just pull off) or removing the rear window (which is unlikely since those windows tend to be one-shot). But in reality I don't know, only Porsche knows and they certianly won't tell you.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-13-2005, 03:46 PM
RMEllis
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey guys as a fellow Targa owner please count me in for anything I can do.
Robert

Quick Reply: Please help me to petition Porsche....