993 Forum 1995-1998

How long will it last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 09:00 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long will it last?

This post was, in part, prompted by Steve 96C4S's post asking whether our current 993s will be our last Porsches.

In my case I dearly hope so. However, whilst that may be my ambition, I often ask myself the question "How long will the car last?".

My worry is about the bodyshell, just about everything else can be readily unbolted and replaced, but if rust were to take hold underneath somewhere, it may make repairs economically unviable. The real question I have is how good is the bodyshell galvanising, and what protection does it really give? It horrifies me when I see the photos some guys have posted showing the rust around the windscreen - what use was the galvanising there?

Living in the UK, we get a lot of rain, and during cold spells (like the one we are currently "enjoying", the roads are covered with salt). Water and salt is an evil recipe - so I avoid driving in the rain as far as possible, and in winter keep off the roads until any salt has been washed away. Maybe this paranoia is unnecessary - maybe the galvanising, and undersealing really work????????

I have noted with interest the number of recent posts on "winterizing" the cars for storage. Is the main reason so many seem to do it to reduce the risks of corrosion? BTW - I have had a few laughs at the lengths you guys got to to protect yourcars from mice! I had never ever heard of mice being a threat to a car!

Maybe 993s aren't yet old enough for us to be able to answer this question.

But, maybe someone here has experience of an earlier galvanised model, and could give some pointers as to where rust will set in. I'd particularly appreciate it if someone from the northern states or Canada (where I assume you experience wet and/or salted roads) would comment on their experience.

Like I said, I do want to keep the 993 for as long as I am able to, and if I can keep on top of protecting the bodyshell, it may lengthen my time with it.

Many thanks,

Steve.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:10 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Steve, from what i have read, most rust around the wind screen is the result of poorly fitted replacement screens. The fitters using a knife or wire to cut the old sealant to get the original screen out goes through the galvanized coating and causes rust.

Having said that the bottom corners of the rear screen (where the seals tend to lift) collects a lot of water and I worry about rust there. Is there and easy fix for this?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:00 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Gabi, I hadn't realised that the rust around the front windscreen was only on cars that had had their windscreens replaced. Regarding your question, I don't know how to prevent it occuring around the rear window. However, I was told that it was 964s that really suffered from this, and it was less of a problem with 993s. In either case, it would be nice if the seals sealed!

Whilst I love my 993, and I am determined to keep it a long time, having now been a Porsche owner and regular Rennlister for around 2 years, I have to say that, given these were very expensive "high quality" cars when new (and 7-11 year old ones ain't cheap either), just how many faults there are - I've lost track of how many issues I've seen described as "this is a common problem".

Ah well, it's all part of the Porsche experience I guess!

I just can't help comparing its build quality with the Honda I ran as my commuting car for 10 years from new, I did 130K miles, and apart from tyres and an exhaust system, the only thing that wore out was the alternator. When I sold it, it was still running like new, and there wasn't a rattle or creek to be heard.

My post was really to ask what rust problems we might expect under the car, i.e. the sills, the wheel arches, floor, etc. Armed with that knowledge, I could keep an eye on things.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:17 AM
GabiOsz
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure if the front windscreen is limited to those with poorly fitted replacements, but on here that seems to be the main cause.

I have ordered a new rubber surround for my rear screen hopefully that should help.

As with any car care and attention should keep it going provided that the engineering is there to support long life. My brother has a 16 year old Merc 560 SEL, it has done 320,000 miles and very little has gone wrong with it. The bodywork is totally knackered, but he doesn't look after it, if he did I'm sure it would be capable of another 300,000 miles. These porsches are very well engineered and most things are repairable, the engine rebuild is possible for £4000 ish while the newer p-cars up until now have required replacement engines for £8000 + fitting!

I intend to keep mine for a very long time, I have put so much into it that I could never hope to make back, you just have to get things looked at as soon as you notice anything.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm looking to keep mine as long as possible as my wife probably won't let me get another one! :-) If you look at 964s or 3.2s they are all beginning to or have already had some rust but typically nothing fatal as long as it is caught early. I have direct experience of front and rear windscreen rust (luckily caught very early both ends) and whilst painful it wasn't the end of the world.

Cheers,

David
Old 11-24-2005, 11:01 AM
SJB993
Pro

Gabi, I'm not too worried about the mechanical bits. Whilst my 993 is still worth a serious amount of wonger to me, I shall continue to pay whatever it takes to keep it regularly maintained by experts. Whilst I have absolutely no intention of selling it, who knows what's around the corner and I guess there's always a slight chance I might need to "liquidate my asset" at some point in time. That said, and in one sense, I am looking forward to the day when it has lost about half of its current value, so that I can get my hands dirty, and do all the fixing myself without fear of DIY maintenance/repair impacting on its value too much.

David, thanks. Do you know where the rust hits on those earlier models? I guess I'm most worried about the rust traps that may exist in inaccessible and/or hard to see places.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:11 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi Steve,

On my 3.2 the danger areas were above the rear lights and above the front bumper - in those days there were no wheel well covers so this risk should have been minimised. If you were really unlucky blocked door drains might lead to something but I don't remember ever seeing this. On my old car I had rust in one of the wings where there was a moisture trap at the back of the wing where it attached to the inner wing.

Cheers,

David
Old 11-24-2005, 11:46 AM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The rust around the windscreen is not caused just by a poorly fitted windscreen. Mine had the original windscreen and the dreaded rust. I appear to be one of the lucky few who got it fixed under the Porsche Bodywork Guarantee, although I had to put a couple of hundred quid towards it.

I've read somewhere that the chemicals in the Porsche washer fluid may contribute to this rust, but I don't know if this is true. It certainly leaves a mess on the bodywork where it comes off the windscreen.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:52 AM
SJB993
Pro

Hi Darren, years ago I was warned about windscreen washer fluids. As I recall, I was told that they contain glycerine (I think), and that eats its way through wax (and maybe paintwork). I only ever top up with tap water.

However, as I said in my original post - wouldn't it be nice if the seals actually sealed?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:01 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

wouldn't it be nice if the seals actually sealed?
Indeed!
Old 11-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Pedro356C
Drifting

Originally Posted by a17sbn
In my case I dearly hope so. However, whilst that may be my ambition, I often ask myself the question "How long will the car last?".

Steve.

As any vintage Porsches, their lifespam is proportional to the care and money invested on them along the way...there are mint examples from the 50s still proud on the road...

Got to keep, care, respect and drive these aircooled babies...
Old 11-24-2005, 01:59 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Good question... my guess is that if early 70's cars are still on the road then my car should last till my death, bodywise, I hope!

If I do get rust, I'll be certain to have it attended to asap. If something mechanical gets messed up on it, ditto. I plan on keeping this car as close to new looking for the length of ownership, which is till my death

Happy Tofurkey day,

Steve R
Old 11-24-2005, 08:56 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Ahhh, rust. I am battling that major league with my Targa right now...but don't want to post pictures (yet) because of the current state of negotiations. Needless to say these cars can and will rust like all steel objects. If you are planning to own the car for the long term the biggest thing you can do is do not drive it when the roads are salted or sanded. Salt can eat any car, gavlanizing or not.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-24-2005, 10:39 PM
Bull
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Don't drive it because it may rust", makes no more sense to me than "don't drive it because you may wear the clutch, or the engine, or get some road rash on the front of the car". Drive them and enjoy them. Protect and service the body of the car as you do the mechanicals. When some mechanical work needs to be done, do it. Need some body work for wear, shunts, or rust? Do that too. They are cars. Everyone seems to be willing to deal with wearable mechanical items....why not the bodies? Holy cr*p, don't sit in it! What about interior wear?????

By the way, none of us are getting out of this alive. Who are you saving it for????
Old 11-24-2005, 11:33 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Bull
Protect and service the body of the car as you do the mechanicals. When some mechanical work needs to be done, do it. Need some body work for wear, shunts, or rust? Do that too. They are cars. Everyone seems to be willing to deal with wearable mechanical items....why not the bodies? ???
I agree to drive it year round but if you intend to keep it for the long run and minimize the chances of rust then avoid the salt. Mechanical work is different ; its often replacement of part(s) etc. Rusty body work is evil, its hard to get rid of once it starts and it spreads like cancer. I know, I am battling that right now. I would rather not drive the car a few weeks a year in really bad weatherthan take the excessive wear and tear. These cars are not that much fun in those conditions anyways...I would rather drive my full sized 3/4 ton 4x4.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: How long will it last?