Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How long will it last?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 10:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

I'm not going to go to any of these lengths to keep my car rust free. I'm going to drive it in the winter at times, TRYING to avoid salty days but if my other car is in the shop, I'll have to drive the 993. Yeah, I could rest a car on those days, but I'm not going to. That seems kind of crazy to me.

I'm not going to put any of these anti corrosive items on the undercarriage of my car - I'm just too lazy to do that. I'll drive it in the rain as well. Knowing all this, I guess my 993 won't last forever after all! Drag.... What would I buy after it totally rusts away? I got it - one of your cars that has no rust when you decide to sell! Great news for me. So keep guarding your garage queen cars from rust, salt, snow, rain, moisture, etc and I'll be happy to spend a small fortune on it 20 years from now when my 993 daily driver is rusted away and sold for parts.

There's always a way to be driving a 993 till my death. Bring on old man winter - no worries, mon.

Steve R
Old 11-25-2005, 10:48 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sidned
The rust around the windscreen is not caused just by a poorly fitted windscreen. Mine had the original windscreen and the dreaded rust. I appear to be one of the lucky few who got it fixed under the Porsche Bodywork Guarantee, although I had to put a couple of hundred quid towards it...
It is guaranteed under Porsche warranty and everyone should have it covered under warranty.

The main problem is with the original seal and there's a technical service bulletin about this (5106-9501).
Old 11-25-2005, 11:01 AM
SJB993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Steve, I take your point. I don't want a garage queen either. Let's face it, with the UK's climate, and our abundance of rain, if I did I'd only get to use it about 2 days per year. What I was seeking with my post was advice on what sensible precautions I should take to preserve the bodyshell and help it cope better with life in a damp climate.

However, I re-read your other post, and you said:-

"Do any of you feel like I do, like this is your last Porsche? I'm probably in the minority here but I'd be curious to know. I'm guessing most of you guys lust after the newer models... but truly, not me. It's kind of a relief for me, as I don't have to worry about saving for my next Porsche, or "what would I buy next in the Porsche line?"

Contrast this with your statement in this post:-

"I'll be happy to spend a small fortune on it 20 years from now when my 993 daily driver is rusted away and sold for parts."

So maybe this 993 won't be your last afterall, and maybe you really should start saving now to buy mine (don't forget to add an allowance for shipping it across the pond, and maybe add in a premium for a hermetically sealed container so that the salty sea air doesn't attack it on the voyage over)!

Just in case you are in any doubt, I am only joking.

My wife often says to me "You love THAT car more than you love me". I can't argue with that!
Old 11-25-2005, 03:21 PM
sidned
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"You love THAT car more than you love me"
Sounds familiar!!!

Quick Reply: How long will it last?