993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WARNING!! FRAUD!! RENNLIST MEMBER!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005 | 02:23 PM
Steve Nagata
Racer

I'll post my experience. I sold a set of brand new ROW MO3O shocks and springs and Swaybars to a guy. One shock got lost during shipping (UPS) Tahnk god it was isured for the right amout. The seller complains that a shock was lost during shipping so through UPS I got 500 dollars for the one shock. I asked him if he wanted the money or if he wanted me to buy a new shock and send it to him. He told me he wanted the money. So I got UPS to make the check out to him. 1 month later same thing that happened to you. I got a reversal on PAYPAL and I was in negative 1800US. To make a long story short don't pay the negative on your Paypal. Close your Bank account and credit card that is tied to it. It's been 3 years and no collections, no bad credit just 4 emails, one letter and one phone call.

PM me if you need more info

Hope this helps
-Steve
Old 09-24-2005 | 06:03 PM
Super D
Instructor

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Super D,

How does the buyer know that you will actually ship the stuff? What is his recourse if you don't ship? I'm thinking that unless you do ALL transactions through a reputable escrow company, there is some element of trust involved at either the buying or the selling end. And my experience has been that Rennlisters are the most trustworthy, which is why I am so disappointed in the MichaelM/Boost Crazy transaction.
He doesn't know, and his recourse is whatever he can try legally. It's definitely a trust situation. I exchange all home and work contact info and even fax a DL if requested. Haven't had a problem on anything yet, but I also haven't budged from my payment policy. I have used PayPal, but never over $500 deals. Sucks that you have to CYA all the time, but unfortunately the law favors criminals.
Old 09-24-2005 | 07:40 PM
CP
Race Director

Super D,

Your car looks absolutely amazing.

Can you post some more pictures? I like to see what it says on your door. Also, interior pics would be great. Sorry for the hi-jack.

Thanks.

CP
Old 09-24-2005 | 07:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

This sucks. I guess the lesson here is to make sure Paypal has your most current email address.
Old 09-24-2005 | 11:22 PM
m21sniper
Banned

Originally Posted by MichaelM
To Everyone,

NEVER do any transactions with Rennlist Member "Boost Crazy" name Simon Arnold from Austrailia. Story ( A little long but worth the reading):

I sold Simon my JIC suspension back in April of this year for $2,000 dollars which was paid thru paypal (and held them for a month prior because he wanted them so bad) and 2 1/2 months later he tells me that he wanted to send them back to me for a full refund. I told him that the shocks were his and that If he had said something to me when he recieved them and not 2 1/2 months after the fact that I would have let him send them back. In any case to make a long story short, July 16th Simon contests to his credit card company that this payment was an "unauthorized payment". Paypal sent me an email about the dispute, but because I didn't respond within 7 days (They had a dead email account which I never check), they say there is nothing they can do for me. So basically I have a negative $2,000 dollar balance which Paypal wants me to pay for. Simon still has the shocks and didn't pay for them and now I'm stuck with this $2,000 dollar bill which i'm NOT going to pay for. I'm filing a complaint with the FBI internet division and am probably going to have to sue Ebay in order to get the credit card information so I can get in touch with his credit card company and let them know that FRAUD was commited. Paypal is going to have to go through collections to try and get paid and i'm wondering, how badly my credit will be affected since i refuse to pay this bill. Moral of the story, NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH SIMON ARNOLD "BoostCrazy" he is a cheat.

Man that blows. I've made deals with listers where product was sent before payment, and where personal checks were exchanged with no delay to wait for clearing, and i've never ever had any problems.

You found a bad apple man, i'm really sorry to say.

Thanx for the warning though...you should post this on ALL the rennlist forums!
Old 09-24-2005 | 11:27 PM
m21sniper
Banned

" Sucks that you have to CYA all the time, but unfortunately the law favors criminals."

Just for the record, the law favors the accused. Y'know...the whole innocent until proven guilty thing. It's annoying when you just got shafted, but it's great when you're the one being falsely accused of something!
Old 09-25-2005 | 01:39 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

I PM'ed Boost Crazy a few days ago with a link to this thread asking for his version of events. It seems he has nothing to say.
Old 09-25-2005 | 02:17 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

A sad story, indeed.

However, you have his name and his address. I suspect wire fraud is a crime in Australia, although it might be referred to differently. A well written, fully documented letter to the crown as well as the appropriate police division may get results.

This sucks. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2005 | 03:36 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

A couple of comments after reading this in great detail --

MichaelM, I am very sorry to hear about this. I have traded a few dollars/parts with people from this community without trouble and it sucks to hear about this misfortune. It sure sounds like this guy put the screws to you, was dishonest, etc. The fact that he has not posted to defend himself is more condemning to me than anything else...also, the fact that he has not sent the gear back is equally condemning.

However, I do have a couple questions...

- Is it possible that while he may have had the susp parts for 2 months, he didnt put them on the car until that time and immediately called/wrote to say he didnt want them? What was your arrangement on this point? Was he allowed to try it first then send back, or was the sale final when money was exchanged? I know that for me, 2 months can go by very fast...I am just curious of your opinion on this point.

- Could the fact that paypal had your wrong email have contributed to him eventually reversing the charge and keeping the gear? Maybe because neither paypal or he could get hold of you? Have you wrote or spoken with him since?

Believe me, I am taking no sides here. It sure sounds like he is in the wrong, but with posts only from you and dozens of others piling on, we dont really honestly know what happened. If I had to decide without hearing his side, it sure sounds like you are the one in the right here. However, I observed something like this with a friend years back and have learned that there many nuances to this type of complex situation.

I guess it all comes down to what your agreement was with him relative to receiving, paying for, and accepting the suspension. If it was sale final upon money exchanged, then he has absolutely no leg to stand on and should have never even tried to return the parts. On the other hand, if there was some kind of verbal arrangement about trying, returning, etc... then this gets a little trickier maybe... (?)

Hope this post is taken the right way in the interest of impartiality and fairness
Old 09-25-2005 | 11:49 PM
Mark in Hermosa
Burning Brakes

MichaelM:

That is too bad. Perhaps he tried to reach you and couldn't? I know I sent you an e-mail over a week ago about your TT and didn't get a reply. Either way, why don't you give him a call at his office at Extrastock? www.extrastock.com.au

He is online right now as I type this.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2005 | 10:33 AM
akolodesh
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
A couple of comments after reading this in great detail --

MichaelM, I am very sorry to hear about this. I have traded a few dollars/parts with people from this community without trouble and it sucks to hear about this misfortune. It sure sounds like this guy put the screws to you, was dishonest, etc. The fact that he has not posted to defend himself is more condemning to me than anything else...also, the fact that he has not sent the gear back is equally condemning.

However, I do have a couple questions...

- Is it possible that while he may have had the susp parts for 2 months, he didnt put them on the car until that time and immediately called/wrote to say he didnt want them? What was your arrangement on this point? Was he allowed to try it first then send back, or was the sale final when money was exchanged? I know that for me, 2 months can go by very fast...I am just curious of your opinion on this point.

- Could the fact that paypal had your wrong email have contributed to him eventually reversing the charge and keeping the gear? Maybe because neither paypal or he could get hold of you? Have you wrote or spoken with him since?

Believe me, I am taking no sides here. It sure sounds like he is in the wrong, but with posts only from you and dozens of others piling on, we dont really honestly know what happened. If I had to decide without hearing his side, it sure sounds like you are the one in the right here. However, I observed something like this with a friend years back and have learned that there many nuances to this type of complex situation.

I guess it all comes down to what your agreement was with him relative to receiving, paying for, and accepting the suspension. If it was sale final upon money exchanged, then he has absolutely no leg to stand on and should have never even tried to return the parts. On the other hand, if there was some kind of verbal arrangement about trying, returning, etc... then this gets a little trickier maybe... (?)

Hope this post is taken the right way in the interest of impartiality and fairness
Jonathan,
you make good points but I think the controlling factor here is that boost crazy now has both the suspension and the money. Whatever other agreements the two had, that was certainly not part of it. This situation would have been much more gray had boost crazy returned the shocks.
Old 09-26-2005 | 03:47 PM
MichaelM
Instructor

Mr Sullivan,

It is possible that he the suspension and didn't put them on and then wanted to send them back. The arrangement was definitley not for him to try them and see if he likes them. The sale was a final sale. In my opinion, if he didn't like them, then sell them to someone else. As far as wrong emails, only paypal had the wrong email. Simon and I talked on the phone and communicated through different email accounts than paypal had. He could have always contacted me via PM on here. I have written to him since and he will not return my emails. He knows about this thread i'm sure since his last time on this site was yesterday at 7:42 pm.

Mark in Hermosa,

Sorry for not getting back to you, but I think Rennlist actually has that same email as paypal, i'll update that. PMing me or sending me an email to michael@fsibusinessmanagers.com is the best way to communicate electronically.

Boris,

Thanks for the suggestion, but I don't think it is anyone's responsibility but mine, nor do I think anyone really wants to do that, but thank you.

To everyone,

Thanks for all your comments. I really just wanted to let everyone know about this so that they keep up on transactions they have through paypal. This is really unfortionate, but in the end, it's just money and i'll live with it.

Quick Reply: WARNING!! FRAUD!! RENNLIST MEMBER!!