Sponsored by:

OT: Need an SUV 97 LX450 or 99 Sub

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005 | 12:20 AM
AGC
Racer

Default OT: Need an SUV 97 LX450 or 99 Sub

Guys I need your help.

My wife and I decided that we should get a used SUV for the winter and also for doing the Home Depot run, she doesn't like using her Odyssey. We narrowed down our choices to a 96-97 Lexus LX450 (70k) and a 99 Chevy Suburban LT (44k), both can be had for about $13k. I have never oned a Suburban, but have always wanted one and I have a Lexus LS400 that I used daily and love it. Now IO know gas prices are very high right now, but with the amount of use we will have it should be ok. Also my wife commutes with my two boys everyday, I feel much better if she is in a fullsize SUV during those bad days. So my question to you guys is, which one should I get, if I go American I get a newer lower mileage vehicle than if I go for a Import.

What do you guys think

Thanks and soon to add to my list
Old 09-25-2005 | 08:11 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

AC,
My vote would be for the Lexus, hands down. A more economical alternative would be the equivalent year or newer Land Cruiser. Same vehicle, less chrome.

I have a 2001 4Runner 4WD which I purchased new (2 miles on the clock). It now has 99,000+ miles and has not had a single problem. The truck seriously runs like the day I purchased it and still looks fantastic. Naturally I have done my own oil changes, tire rotations, plugs, etc., but to me that's just part of normal car ownership.

Andreas
Old 09-25-2005 | 10:01 PM
94prez
Intermediate

I have always owned some sort of Suburban/Yukon and like having it, but, I would have to vote for the Lexus if it has the space you need and you don't plan on towing heavy.

Resale on the Lexus will hold, the Sub will tank. I have a friend here in CA with a decent 98 sub he can't hardly give away. If both were well maintained the mileage difference is negligable since unfortunately, the Sub has a much shorter half-life.

Just my $0.02

Phil
Old 09-26-2005 | 02:39 AM
Ray Calvo
Passed On
Rennlist Member

Get a gas guzzling land barge that can't get out of it's own way? Give me a break!

Get a Subaru Legacy wagon or Audi A4 Avant and have something you can haul stuff in but still get decent mileage and enjoy driving on a 2-lane road.
Old 09-26-2005 | 09:40 AM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Audi Allroad

/thread
Old 09-26-2005 | 12:06 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I'm with Ray on this one. I have heard that the Lexus 450 gets aweful mileage because it is underpowered. Add a cargo and you are really going to get bad mileage. The Audi would be my choice. We have a 2002 Toyota Rav4 and it is a great little car, but not for more than one or two people. When we put our two Goldens in the back and our gear for a road trip, the mileage goes way down. Around town, as a grocery-getter, it can't be beat. Next time it will be an Audi.
Old 09-26-2005 | 03:09 PM
AGC
Racer

Thanks guys,

The problem with the Subaru or Allroad is for the Home Depot runs, I was leaning towards the Sub because I hear that sheetrock or plywood would fit just fine. As for a smaller SUV, I agree that they are great and better on gas. What my concern is that this vehicle would not get used often, only during bad weather and here in NY/NJ I feel better with my wife driving a bigger SUV, especially since she commutes with my two boys daily. Understanding what the cost of fuel is currently, I still feel better if they were in a bigger, safer SUV. Lastly my budget is realyy about $11k-$12k (tops)
Old 09-26-2005 | 03:50 PM
Michael_Philippi
Racer

Get the Suburban if you are going to get one of these. I mean, if you are going to buy a truck, get a truck!! I have had both a Toyota and a Chevy Tahoe. The Tahoe gets better mileage, is more comfortable (no buck-board ride) and can haul more stuff. Not really knocking the Toyota products, since I got 116K trouble free miles before the tranny went out. The Tahoe currently has 70k+ trouble free miles.

But, if you are really concerned with the welfare of wife and children, buy a strong vehicle, not necessarily a large vehicle. In that regard, I would agree with any of the Audi wagons.

As for your Home Depot runs, a 4x8 sheet of plywood will lay flat in the back of a Tahoe/Suburban, it won't in the Toyota product.

Good Luck
Michael

Quick Reply: OT: Need an SUV 97 LX450 or 99 Sub