993 C2 vs. Camaro SS?@rice burner

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 03:04 AM
propeye
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 C2 vs. Camaro SS?@rice burner

Today I was humbled, or nearly so!
I was in the 993 with top down, having just turned onto a County 2 lane from a stop, and gradually acelerated away. I was immediatedly followed by a nearly new camaro SS? convertible.
Being calm, level-headed, nearly 60ish, and seeing this young dude and his girlfriend/wife in the Camaro in my rearview, I decided to put my foot in it in 2nd gear. The Camaro was already accelerating up behind me and had a bit of a jump.
I had it floored and I still couldn't pulll away from him-thru 2nd, thru 3rd, to 4th and running out of road. And I still hadn't pulled him by much more than an additional car length or so. Couldn't believe it!
I let off as I was rapidly approaching a more populated section of the County and said to myother most beloved- I can't believe he stayed so close and I thought my 993 was running so well.
About this time I hear the wail of a screaming engine coming up fast behind me.
I expect to look up and see the Camaro coming up on my left to pass.
And 'lo and behold, like a bat out of hell, comes a riceburner Honda Del Sol passing both of us like we were standing still. (which we nearly were-at about 45 or 50mph). About then we both burst out laughing-the damn little ricerocket was appearing to eat us both up!
Has anyone else been humbled into this such supplication!!!!
Maybe i I'd been driving the S60R, it wouldn't have happened!?!
Richard
"97 993 C2
Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 AM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

http://www.smalldogstudios.com/k04vsSti.mov
Old 04-25-2005, 12:15 PM
kevin harmon
Intermediate

I dragged an ss camaro off the line a while back. I got him off the start due most likely to better clutch control/launching (more experience) and was about a car length and a half (could see him in the rear mirror) ahead, pulling pretty much evenly, until about a 100 when I shut it down going around a long curve and feeling a little irresponsible. Just then, a truck with a horse trailer is pulling across the 4 lane road (two lanes each way with no median. I was coasting down through 80 or so and hit the brakes, no problem. The ss kept his speed up a little bit, presumeably to at least pass me at some point, and then, upon sighting the truck, braked like hell to no avail and pulled into the emergency lane to get around the trailer w/o hitting him. This is why I think it's a bad idea to do blind curves at excessive speeds on public roads.

I think the ss is probably a pretty even match for the 993 straight out, which makes it more about the driver and, hence, more interesting. I think your ride did pretty well to put any distance between you and him since he was drafting on you (or possibly his wife was screaming to "knock it off!") The fact that he was doing that sort of thing with her in the car screams "girlfriend" to me. Once you backed off, his inferior braking kicked in and he probably crawled up your butt. The Del Sol, who knows. Probably couldn't slow down well enough at that point and elected to go around, thankfully the camaro didn't or you'd have quite a show.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:30 PM
slaaw
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The SS Camaros have the LS1 engines that can also be found in the C5 Corvette. On the straights, an SS can stay with a 993 with no problem. The LS1 (as well as the LS6) are very formidable engines and with a couple of grand worth of upgrades, they can put out well over 400 hp.

As for the riceburner, it is quite common that they are set up with nitrous, which give a significant but brief power boost.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:37 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

"The Del Sol, who knows. "

Living in Orlando, FL, we have plenty of teens in "rice". They love to "cherry pick" a race, i.e. see two cars racing that KNOW they can not beat, so they wait till you both are done and then come flying by in their 122 hp rockets Like they actually acomplished something.

And I can tell you, they went and told all of their friends that they smoked an SS and a Porsche
Old 04-25-2005, 07:05 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Guys, coming from a muscle car background you should all beware of this new era. These rice burners are flying, with the latest technology and aftermarket power adders even the twin turbo 993's have to becareful in quarter mile situations. Porsches are fast from 60mph on but quarter mile, a na 993 is not to impressive. Dodge neon srt 13.7 out of the box 2000 dollars in bolt ons sends you right in the 12's.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Jeebus, what's with the onslaught of dumba$$ street racers today? Get lives, you freakin losers. Or get audi's and go post on audiworld where the kids there love talking smack about their "kills". Gawd.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:52 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree with Shawn. Japanese/Domestic cars are fast at the 1/4-mile and it doesn’t take much money to make them faster. If you never lost to a rice rocket or domestic muscle, you don't race much. That's why to save some face, I don't give them the satisfaction.
Old 04-25-2005, 07:55 PM
Adrienne
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Eric.
Some weird threads today, no doubt.
Old 04-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Baggerdude
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Lotza racin' threads here, eh. I gotta go make dinna...........!
Old 04-25-2005, 09:01 PM
The good ol' boys...
Advanced

Originally Posted by kevin harmon
This is why I think it's a bad idea to do blind curves at excessive speeds on public roads.
There aint nothin me n the boyz like better than a good ol' drag race in some of Detroits finest down the towns main strip. First pansy to hit them brakes buys all the boys a cuppla rounds of JD, then its back to the cars for another go. No harm in that. We got god lookin over us and he loves v8s even more then my step brother billy!

p.s. whats a honda?
Old 04-25-2005, 09:08 PM
96C4S
Burning Brakes

Just conversation guys no need to get upset
Old 04-25-2005, 09:38 PM
HK G36C
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 34 Posts

Eric:

I would like to use some of your words of wisdom you have employed in your comments. I hope you do not mind if I use your well thoughtout words here.

It is great to have someone like you on this board. I appreciate how articulate you are when in comes to expressing your feelings. You are really convincing f**king stupid, f**king moron , stupid a**hole, and f**king moron.

Oh, sorry you used **king moron twice, so I wanted to be true to your form.

Thanks again for your input and keep up the good work. I joined this board hoping there are people like you making sure we are safe and responsible drivers.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:10 PM
garychios
Pro

These is no way a 993 NA kept up or even beat a newer type SS. I know both cars very well, and the SS is def much much faster. As A matter of fact, the SS has soo much more power, it should have walked the 911 badly.
Old 04-25-2005, 10:16 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by garychios
These is no way a 993 NA kept up or even beat a newer type SS. I know both cars very well, and the SS is def much much faster. As A matter of fact, the SS has soo much more power, it should have walked the 911 badly.
...Until you get to the really twisty part of the road.

Quick Reply: 993 C2 vs. Camaro SS?@rice burner