Sponsored by:

help: loud whine coming from rear when turning corners

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
mborkow
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help: loud whine coming from rear when turning corners

ok, this just started happening tonight: when i take a corner (even at pretty slow speeds) there is an audible whine coming from the rear of the car. when the car comes out of the turn the whine goes away. it isn't metal on metal, but it is concerting. anyone have any idea what it could be?

thanks,
matthew
Old 03-19-2005, 12:39 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

sounds like your power steering fluid is low. Have you checked it?

There are a few threads about this in the archives
Old 03-19-2005, 12:42 AM
donsacto
Racer

Yes, check your power steering fluid. Mine made the same whine
Old 03-19-2005, 09:53 AM
mborkow
Drifting

thanks guys. i will check "power steering fluid" in the archives...i just didn't know where to begin searching. i will post any follow up questions i have. thanks again!
matthew
Old 03-19-2005, 02:15 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 351 Posts

If it only happens when you load up the car under a severe turn, you may also want to consider the wheel bearings...about a $1,200 job, front and rear, ouch!

If it just came on, it may be the power steering level, when did we get power steering?
Old 03-19-2005, 02:29 PM
mborkow
Drifting

it just happened last night (all of a sudden) and it makes the noise just turning in my parking garage (not under load). so, it looks like i should check the steering fluid level. here are the instructions off another thread:
Look for the reservoir below the dipstick. About the size of a small coffee can with a screw off top located in Engine compartment on right hand side. it needs to be checked hot with the engine running. if it is low i should top it off with: Dextron II/power steering fluid (any brand from the sounds of it), and pray that the sounds does not come back...or i get to buy a steering rack to go with the engine rebuild and new clutch i had to install at the end of last year...good thing i love this car!

that sound right to you guys?

thanks,
matthew
Old 03-19-2005, 02:52 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Only use Pentosin CHF-11S to refill.

Old 03-19-2005, 02:55 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"Only use Pentosin CHF-11S to refill. "
it is cool to mix the fluids? i ask because my car was built in 95 (though it is MY 96) and i read that my car was going to have "ATF" instead of "Pentosin" (or something like that). also, is it safe to drive the car in this condition...this is my only car...though i guess i could catch a ride with a friend to kragen to pick up the steering fluid.
Old 03-19-2005, 02:56 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

What Graham said. Also, get a funnel with an attached tube; there's no other way to top up the power steering resevoir. A closable valve on the funnel is a useful feature, so that you can control when the fluid flows.

Edit: I don't know about mixing fluids, though.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:00 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by graham_mitchell
Only use Pentosin CHF-11S to refill.
Why ? Manual states ATF DEXTRON II (phased out...now III) for the NA Carrera and PENTOSIN for the TT.

I had the same "whining/groaning" while turning....only on left hand turns though...(strange?). Topped off with ATF Dextron and everything appears to be fine.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:04 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally Posted by mborkow
"Only use Pentosin CHF-11S to refill. "
it is cool to mix the fluids? i ask because my car was built in 95 (though it is MY 96) and i read that my car was going to have "ATF" instead of "Pentosin" (or something like that). also, is it safe to drive the car in this condition...this is my only car...though i guess i could catch a ride with a friend to kragen to pick up the steering fluid.
Yes, it is safe to mix the fluids. If your power steering system has ever been flushed then you may already have CHF-11S in there.

It's not a bad idea to flush your system to be sure, but I'd wait and see how bad the leak is first. It might be a waste to do it and then have to fix the steering rack.

I don't know whether there is any harm in driving the car as is. I'd play it safe. Get a friend to drop some over.

That was good advice from Dave about getting a funnel or a srew-on cap with an attached tube. Getting to this reservoir is tricky.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:05 PM
993Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kdurg
Why ? Manual states ATF DEXTRON II (phased out...now III) for the NA Carrera and PENTOSIN for the TT.

I had the same "whining/groaning" while turning....only on left hand turns though...(strange?). Topped off with ATF Dextron and everything appears to be fine.
For the record, your manual says ATF Dextron II. My '97 manual is rather emphatic about only using Pentosin CHF 11 S, although I have no idea what the differences might be.

The left-turn-only symptom seems to the the hallmark of the low power steering fluid problem. Mine and others I've read about with this issue were the same.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:07 PM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Originally Posted by kdurg

As posted by Ron in a previous thread: "Porsche started to fill the brake systems with Pentosin CHF 11 S (green) in March of 1996. ATF was used before then. Pentosin and ATF are miscible. This means that Pentosin can be used to top up the fluid level in 993 vehicles before the aforementioned introduction date. On vehicle with Pentosin filling, always fill or top up the brake system with Pentison."

I believe the previous fluid lead to premature corrosion, but perhaps someone else can confirm.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:10 PM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 993Dave
For the record, your manual says ATF Dextron II. My '97 manual is rather emphatic about only using Pentosin CHF 11 S, although I have no idea what the differences might be.
Right, and Matthew drives a '96 NA Carrera, and I would assume has the same manual as I.

Interesting how the manual recommendations would change from year to year.
Old 03-19-2005, 03:14 PM
mborkow
Drifting

"Interesting how the manual recommendations would change from year to year"
from other threads here it seems that P changed their mind somewhere in the middle of MY96 production as to which steering fluid was best. it also seems that it is safe to mix the fluids. if that is the case then it makes sense to top of with their most recent recomendation (i think, but correct me if i am wrong, please!)

Quick Reply: help: loud whine coming from rear when turning corners