Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I've written mine off...(pics on page 2!)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 08:08 PM
willisit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I think I've written mine off...(pics on page 2!)

Coming off a roundabout, about 30mph, I hit something wet or greasy and my 993 decided her time was up. 7k rpm from 2k and 180 degrees later and I'm in a ditch wondering what just happened.

I'm no stranger to RWD but this just points out what can happen, and though no fault of my own write a 993 off.

She's now with a garage (happened tonight) so I'll hear soon enough if she'll be repaired (I hope) or written off.

It's only sinking in now that I may not see it again - and I'm gutted. But it's the not the end of the world (I'm very lucky).

I'll try to post pics soon (a friend took some before she was dug out of the ditch) - but don't rush me, I'm not sure I want to see them.

Last edited by willisit; 03-11-2005 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:10 PM
Marc in AK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Glad your ok dude....sorry about the car.....
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
williet1342
Pro

Arrow Wow...that's not good..

Glad you're OK, that is a bad deal on the car. When one door closes another door opens. I know. Been there. Health and family first.

Stu
Old 03-10-2005, 08:35 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 365 Likes on 217 Posts

Hang in there...cars will come and go.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:42 PM
willisit
Racer

Indeed they do.

Hopefully this isn't the last you'll see of my 993 - if it is, I'm pretty certain I'll be in the market for a C2 or C4 soon. I love my 911s too much to let go (even though I was intending to sell up for personal reasons, I rethought).

Thanks for the comments.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:14 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 134 Posts

Glad you are okay. Don't be to hard on yourself- it can happen to anyone. There are plenty more nice cars out there for you to find a suitable replacement. Take care.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:01 PM
paradisenb
Rennlist Member

So sorry to hear this Dan. Thank god you were not hurt. I know you will miss this car, but it might be better if it is a total lost that way you don't get back a car that is not perfectly straight and true. Anyway I hope you are driving a this 993 or that 993 very soon.

Best regards
Old 03-10-2005, 10:31 PM
JohnJL
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dan,
Glad you were OK.

But did you just blame the car for crashing?

John

Last edited by JohnJL; 03-10-2005 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:49 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by willisit
Coming off a roundabout, about 30mph, I hit something wet or greasy and my 993 decided her time was up. 7k rpm from 2k and 180 degrees later and I'm in a ditch wondering what just happened.

I'm no stranger to RWD but this just points out what can happen, and though no fault of my own write a 993 off.

She's now with a garage (happened tonight) so I'll hear soon enough if she'll be repaired (I hope) or written off.

It's only sinking in now that I may not see it again - and I'm gutted. But it's the not the end of the world (I'm very lucky).

I'll try to post pics soon (a friend took some before she was dug out of the ditch) - but don't rush me, I'm not sure I want to see them.
Just curious, but how is this "no fault of your own?" If you're driving at 30mph and suddenly you're at 7000rpm from 2k, and the next thing you know you're in a ditch, it seems to me your reactions may be a little slow. I don't think it's the car's fault.

Regardless, main point is you're ok, so that's good.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
Just curious, but how is this "no fault of your own?" If you're driving at 30mph and suddenly you're at 7000rpm from 2k, and the next thing you know you're in a ditch, it seems to me your reactions may be a little slow. I don't think it's the car's fault.

Regardless, main point is you're ok, so that's good.
Hey dude, dont be so critical of a situation you dont really know much off... It seems to me that you have not driven 911's for too long, things can happen really fast in no time... I droped the front right wheel off a right hander and I did so many 360's that I could not count. It happened in a split second and that is the nature of a 911 with all that weight back there.

Will, our cars are really resiliant to crashes, as I came to find out recently, maybe its not a write off... Keep your chin and spirits up, at least you are ok and you still love 911's
Old 03-11-2005, 03:06 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 102 Likes on 52 Posts

Like Danny says, these cars can be spooky at times, usually after you ask yourself, 'what just happened'.

Very sorry to hear this. Glad to hear your ok.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:48 AM
willisit
Racer

Thanks guys.

Sorry, not blaming the car. I think - and so do others that have seen the road - that I hit something greasy (oil/diesel) and that sent me spinning. I had no time to react (you have to see British roads to appreciate out tiny they are!) and didn't do anything silly like slam the brakes on - I hoped to gain traction and her snap back but it didn't happen.
I've had the rear break away a few times before (wet mornings, ice, snow) but this was different.

Of course, I was hardly perfect here - I was driving but there really wasn't anything I could have done differently. Had I been in a FWD car or a 4x4 I would probably have been okay. Just have to respect the rear bias.

I'm hoping to hear something today - really don't know either way about the damage but I hope to get some pics up here from a friend sooner or later.

Please don't flame me for my driving - you had to be there to understand what happened

But thanks for all the comments; it's great to know the community cares about me and the 993!
Old 03-11-2005, 05:17 AM
j09333
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Good to hear you are OK.

Things like that happened to me once too in my boxster. It's not 911 but I still think to myself that nothing could have helped me out of that situation when right front and rear wheel was locked on black ice and i lost control of half side of the car. After 20-30 secs later, I found myself in someone's front yard wondering what just happened. I was intact but from that point on, I really respected weather and road condition as well as how poor driver I can be in any moment. I was only doing 40 some miles per hour and pushing gas while exiting curve under dark moon light without knowing what is underneath tire. Next thing I notice was my rpm hited over 6k as you while trying to apply more gas to recover with counter steer. Of course I saw my whole life went be in front of my eye.

It might take some time to recover from that image of accident but sooner or later you will be enjoying once again one of the greatest creature mankind ever made.

Wish good luck on your future.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:00 AM
Toga
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dan do blame yourself too much! I faced the same with my bike a few years ago. I was sitting on the ground, and the bike partially destroyed in just a split of a second. Diesel, oil? I think that our lorry drivers have pleasure for turning in those roundabout as fast as they can. But the cap's seal of their fuel tanks is too often not doing its job anymore allowing diesel to drip all around the roundabout.

You're ok that's the main thing!

And if some "honorable registered user" don't understand what it is and think you were slow in your reaction...just be patient
Old 03-11-2005, 07:20 AM
willisit
Racer

j09333 - that pretty much sounds exactly what happened to me! I'm sure I remember reading of a Boxster owner doing that on a wet road - posted pics of the rebuild...

I'm not defending my driving - I have no professional experience or track work. The environment and me just weren't working together last night. Simple as. Could have happened to anyone... I was unlucky.

Toga - thanks for the comments

Quick Reply: I think I've written mine off...(pics on page 2!)