993 Forum 1995-1998

Need advice on a new helmet SA2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 02:58 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need advice on a new helmet SA2000

I am in the market for a new helmet and would like some advice and opinions on what to get.

I don't want to spend a fortune on a helmet and am only going to do DE's and STS. So... I am not sure I need a fully enclosed helmet or do I? I think an open face would provide me with better visibility and should be cooler too.

I have been looking around and there are so many designs and mfgrs that my head is swimming. Obviously, Bell is a great helmet but what about RCI? They seem a bit cheaper and how bad can they be?

I am not sure which way to go so how bout a few opinions and some recommendations as to where I can get one and which one to get. I looked on Ebay and like to shop there because of the obvious bargain one can reap.

Also, does anyone have a new helmet that they don't need/want that they are willing to sell? I think I am a large in size. Also... I think black is super neat looking but white would probably be cooler, yes?

Thanks,
mnm blu
Old 10-08-2004, 03:29 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

don't skimp on a helmet. Buy a new one. Cheap suppliers are OK IMO but don't buy an ebay helmet. They are designed to be tossed after a wreck and a repainted helmet on ebay may llok the same but it may have problems.

Go to racerwholesale.com I bought their Gforce SA2000 helmet, I think i paid 179.00 3 years ago. It is a chinese made knock off of a Bell Helmet, it is racerwholesales brand. Since it has been certified by snell (smf.org) I am confident that it is a safe good helmet.

Jon
Old 10-08-2004, 03:36 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

I was thinking of this one I saw on ebay. Its a brand new Bell. Thoughts?

ebay bell helmet

or:

ebay rci helmet
Old 10-08-2004, 03:36 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 936 Likes on 567 Posts

The lighter, the more comfortable, but the Kevlar ones do cost more. Try some on as each brand fits people's heads differently. I've always used Bell and have their Kevlar one now because it's lighter, but Simpson, etc are also good. Even with the Snell rating, I'm a little nervous using a cheap knockoff brand. Remember, what are you protecting????????? If you have harnesses, I'd also consider the Hans device. Cheap insurance in the long run...
Old 10-08-2004, 03:43 PM
Greg H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Make sure you try on the brand, if not exact model, helmet you are going to buy. They don't all fit the same.

One place to check out is Helmet City. They have that Mag 4 helmet cheaper than ebay after shipping.
http://www.helmetcity.com/page/HC/PROD/bell/bellmag4

The second place I'd try is calling Bell Motorsports itself. They often have cosmetic seconds at an attractive price. I think they ship, but if not, PM me. I work about 2 miles away.

Bell Motorsports: 510-536-2355

Greg H.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:44 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Not to hi-jack or anything... but what is everyone's opinion on open-face vs. full chin protection helmet as well?

Mnm, I've recently been looking at helmets and I would caution you agains buying online unless you have tried that particular model/size/manufacturer on. Sizes are NOT uniform across manufacturers. My .02
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

A great helmet for the money is the Bieffe F1GP. It's a full faced helmet and the fit is very snug. Many F1 & CART drivers used to wear this design a few years ago. I bought mine from Helmet City a few years ago for under $500.
Old 10-08-2004, 03:48 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Well, I would like to keep it around $200. I know kevlar is great but probably out of the range for what I have budgeted for a helmet. I would love the best of everything but reality sets in. Freakin banks want their money every month or they gonna kick me to the curb, ya know.
Also, for DE and STS, the runs are not that long so the weight thing probably isn't as crucial as in club racing or whatever. Damn, I want the best, the most shinny and best looking helmet at the track but.....
Old 10-08-2004, 03:56 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

I was thinking of narrowing down my choices then going and trying some on. After calculating what size I will need, I was thinking of trying to save a buck or two by getting it on-line or Ebay. Hey, I still have to buy some suspension. If the darn thing is new from a long standing Ebayer with good rating, I would feel pretty comfortable but you guys have me a bit worried. Is there a specific incident that you can mention that will further soldify your statement about ebay?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:01 PM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I only meant that after going to a couple of stores, trying on different sizes and styles....I wouldn't buy something on eBay like that without knowing EXACTLY what model/style/size was best for me.

I gotta lotta love for eBay!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:03 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Okay thanks Pedro.
If I could find one of these, I would pop for the extra dough

Hmmm. I sense a new avatar in the future.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:08 PM
Jon 'Bama
Pro

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

no, just a healthy distrust of Ebay. Its too easy and too tempting for someone to cheat. 99% of the time you are safe going that route. But that 1% could be deadly in this case.

this is a newer model of the same helmet I bought three years ago.

http://www.racerwholesale.com/Mercha...Racing+Helmets

they also have one with bads graphics on it, on sale for 179.
http://www.racerwholesale.com/Mercha...Racing+Helmets

I like the helmet I bought. It's pretty light, and fits my big mishapped head well.

best bet is to go to a local store, try on everything and then buy onlne from a reputable dealer IMO

Jon
Old 10-08-2004, 04:11 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Oh, thanks Greg for the offer, I will let you know if I can use your help And Rich, $500 is just too much money for a helmet. I don't race that much, only two or three times a year just for fun so I really can't justify spending loads of cash. That extra $300 would go nicely in my suspension fund, ya know.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:16 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Thanks Jon,
I went to the site and saw this for $199. Looks pretty good but still not too sure about open face or closed face.

Any thouhgts on closed or open faced?
Old 10-08-2004, 04:19 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Any thouhgts on closed or open faced?
I'm curious about that too. I would think you'd be a lot hotter with a closed face and a good chance of potentially fogging up. What's the benefit of having a closed face when there's already a windshield?

Quick Reply: Need advice on a new helmet SA2000