Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Need advice on a new helmet SA2000

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2004, 11:29 PM
nman413
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like my Bell. It's well worth the money. A HANS device is next.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:26 AM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to chime in. I have a Bell M3 and love, repeat love the helmet. I bought it at Bell Motorsports in Oakland. Went to their store and tried on for size. The guy there talked me into a tighter fit than I intially would have bought...which was good. Once it breaks in you get some room back...
If you mailorder, measure your head and they'll get you into the right size...
PK
Old 10-09-2004, 12:28 AM
Patrick Krause
Advanced

Oh...and on the full face vs. open. If you're only going to use the helmet in a car, open should be fine. Remember, the guys in NASCAR all use open face.
I have the full face 'cause I drive karts...
PK
Old 10-09-2004, 04:17 AM
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by K964
How often does Snell update their ratings? I was told it was every 5 years and they are good for 10 years (provided the helmet is not damaged). Can anyone comment on this?
K964,

I'm pretty sure they update their ratings every 5 years. The last one was in 2000, and before that it was 1995, I believe.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:12 AM
PedroNole
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

mnm-

www.kbchelmet.com
Old 10-09-2004, 11:46 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks PK, got me thinking again about open face.

Rich, hmmm, wonder if I should wait for SA2005. I wonder when they will be available.

Peter, thanks for the link my friend.
Old 10-09-2004, 11:50 AM
mnmblu
Drifting

Peter, I went to your link and it seems they only carry motorcycle helmets.
Old 10-09-2004, 12:05 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Thanks PK, got me thinking again about open face.

Rich, hmmm, wonder if I should wait for SA2005. I wonder when they will be available.

Peter, thanks for the link my friend.
Open vs. Closed - Take a look at a NASCAR broadcast and you will see that few still hang on to open faced helmets or even full face without a visor. Now go find the video of Jr.'s fire this year and think about whether you want to have YOUR face exposed. Open faced or full without visor are for those who know they will never have a crash. In that case, why bother latching those seat belts either - you won't need them.

As far as SA2005 - Normally you can expect to see these available in ~October '05. There is no good reason to wait. 5 year lifespan is plenty for club racers. If you are only going to do DE, most do not expire helmets so you can continue to use this.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:02 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Thanks Mark.
Oh boy, back to vascillating. I feel like Kerry trying to make a decision. I voted for open face before I voted against it.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:17 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Alan - Personally, I would never have anything but a closed helmet. I have seen cars damaged on the track, and all kinds of stuff starts flying around the interior. It is cheap insurance. I am also getting a HANS device. I wil also be distributing them soon.. Hopefully more people will start to use them.

Mark - I thought the Snell 2005s were coming out this month, not next October. Are you sure?
Old 10-09-2004, 01:36 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

I went with the Bell M3 a couple of years ago when I started track events. I, too, went through the open vs full faced helmet debate. I ended up with a full face. The M3 does have a larger eye opening.

I cant stress enough how important it is to verify fit before purchase. Too tight and you'll get headaches, too lose and it will frustrate and distract you. If you up your budget to $300, this is what the Bell M3 costs (about). I really like my helmet, I think the quality is pretty good.

Also, get a full faced helmet in case Michael Schumacher gets sick and calls to ask you if you can drive for him
Old 10-09-2004, 02:22 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

HTML Code:
Oh boy, back to vacillating. I feel like Kerry trying to make a decision.
Alan,

Don't feel bad you're not vacillating. You are doing your homework; compiling and analyzing information so you can make an informed decision. You're educating yourself which in some circles is looked upon with favor.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:12 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Hi Bob, I think you and the rest who have stressed the extra insurance are right. I am going to go with the closed face. And... I would love to have more info on the SA2005. If anyone knows for sure if they are coming out this month... then I should wait.

Chris, Good advice for the fit. As far as Mike calling me up to cover for him: From your mouth to god's ear. I would love to be "schu"horned into that Ferrari so I could really screw up his point standings while making waste of that purdy little red wagon.

Ron, you are correct sir. Usually, I am pretty decisive but not when I am unsure of the subject. And making an informed decision when I comes to your life, is a pretty important decision to make. Thanks for you input.

Have I mentioned that I love this place? You guys are great, thanks very much.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:21 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by viperbob
Alan - Personally, I would never have anything but a closed helmet. I have seen cars damaged on the track, and all kinds of stuff starts flying around the interior. It is cheap insurance. I am also getting a HANS device. I wil also be distributing them soon.. Hopefully more people will start to use them.

Mark - I thought the Snell 2005s were coming out this month, not next October. Are you sure?
I could be wrong but I think that historicly the helmets are available late in the 'sticker' year. The Snell website shows the 2005 as a draft so I don't see how helmets could be out this month.

I too have seen people get hit in the face in an enclosed car.
Old 10-09-2004, 03:26 PM
SundayDriver
Lifetime Rennlist Member

Here is the offical word on SA2005 helmets from the Snell website (pretty clear that you can not get SA2005 helmets until October 2005):

The following time line is the projected release schedule for these 2005 standards.
Final Draft Completion - May 31, 2004
Manufacturers may submit helmets for certification to the new standards any time after this date. Helmets meeting requirements for certification will be granted certification to the current M2000, SA2000 or K-98 standards as appropriate and will be granted certification to the 2005 standard as of the release date.
Release Date - October 1, 2005
The M2005 and SA/K2005 standards will be officially released on this date barring any unforseen complications. M2005, SA2005 and K2005 decals will be offered to certified manufacturers after June 30, 2005 but units bearing the new decals may not be distributed until the release date.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a new helmet SA2000