Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about this one that I found at your recommended site. Bell

They have it for $179
Old 10-08-2004, 04:40 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Arwin, I think in the event of a bad crash you would save your chin and face. Odds of that happening are pretty slim though so I think I prefer the open face for coolness. I am the type of personal that will leave this world through spontanious combustion. I find it hard to even wear socks and shoes anymore unless it's really cool. I love sandles and Tommy Bahama shirts ya know. I usually look just like a Berkley, sandle wearing anarchist who just came back from a resort.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mnmblu
Arwin, I think in the event of a bad crash you would save your chin and face. Odds of that happening are pretty slim though so I think I prefer the open face for coolness. I am the type of personal that will leave this world through spontanious combustion. I find it hard to even wear socks and shoes anymore unless it's really cool. I love sandles and Tommy Bahama shirts ya know. I usually look just like a Berkley, sandle wearing anarchist who just came back from a resort.
Sorry....it's Friday and I don't know what i'm talking about. I'm thinking a motorcycle helmet and racing helmet are one in the same.

Oh...of course....the chin and face. I was thinking of the wrong thing. I was actually thinking of the advantages of a visor, but I guess most (all?) closed face ones don't have one?

Two more hrs. and then i'm off to my 1st DE!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!
Old 10-08-2004, 04:58 PM
s2racer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

go with the full face protection. it's cheap insurance. there are models (some pictured here) that have a wider eye opening, and in an enclosed car that would be fine. my race car is open, so i have to have the smaller opening, but i never notice it. visibility is fine. i currently have the bieffe f1gp, but you don't need the chin spoiler in an enclosed car. i agree with the others, the best way to find a helmet is to go to a shop(s) and try on many different models. make sure it's a snug fit. the best helmet i've seen is a sparco model that is super light (can't remember the model number, and it ain't cheap)
Old 10-08-2004, 05:18 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

s2racer, Thanks, you are right about the insurance. Still torn between the two inasmuch as I need the cooooooool. This should be an easy decision, I wonder why I am vascillating back and forth. Hmmmm, maybe watchining too many Presidential debates if ya know what I mean.

Arwin, have a blast and be careful cause we will want a full update after the weekend!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 05:38 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have a "closed face" Bell M2 as it allows me to put on my glasses easily. My wife has an open face helmet but she's almost never on the track, she prefers autox. Both work. I think the closed face is safer. I have no issue with it being "hot" or any issue with cooling. When I'm on the track I hardly notice how hot it is wearing a nomex suit in 100+ temps.

The only group I've ever had check my helmet is PCA. Our region does not allow "M" helmets for time trials (but may allow them in DE). Many DE groups allow "M" helmets which are cheaper. Check the rules for the groups you may run with.

One issue for open vs closed - you'll never be able to take a ride in a radical (or any other open cockpit car) with an open faced helmet.
Old 10-08-2004, 05:51 PM
hawk993
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a Bieffe, great helmet, enclosed helmet(closed face) though.

Re" What's the benefit of having a closed face when there's already a windshield?"

I think the closed face is safer, in case you ever hit the steering wheel or dash, you will still have your teeth, nose and jaw. You can leave the closed face open if you are worried about being hot and wear sunglasses. I guess you can go with the open face helmet and if you do hit the dash, you wont have to floss anymore.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:21 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

You fellas are right. Closed face is probably better in the long run. It is true that when you are on the track, you are not even aware of the heat with having to concentrate so much on the driving. However, waiting in the grid to start can get pretty hot, especially in the desert known as Roseamond (Willow Springs). I won't even go there until at least Nov otherwise, pooof, I'm a-flame.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:05 PM
poorb0yw
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mnmblu
It is true that when you are on the track, you are not even aware of the heat with having to concentrate so much on the driving.
Yup. I'd get a full face helmet with a visor. Never know when something will get kicked up by a car that is off to your left. Heard of things coming in through the side window and my eyes are more important to me than sweating a little more.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:07 PM
hawk993
Racer

Hey, here's a guy who saved money on the open face helmet too...then he hit the steering wheel. I do have good news. He saved a lot of money on his insurance changing to Geico.

Old 10-08-2004, 07:14 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk993
Hey, here's a guy who saved money on the open face helmet too...then he hit the steering wheel. I do have good news. He saved a lot of money on his insurance changing to Geico.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:30 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Hawk... you are a crack up. That's funny. I have decided to go with the closed helmet, I am used to that anyway. I tried my friends open face and it did seem cooler and more open but saftey is an issue and being a narcissist and all... I was thinkin of the dual style, like the one I pictured on page one, with the visor. I found em for about 2 bills. Everyone seems pretty close in price so I don't think it's worth spending too much time trying to save an extra couple of bucks.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:14 PM
Ron
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Simpson Super Voyager is a nice helmet that allows a lot of vision for people who wear eyeglass. If it were to fit you properly and you wear glasses it's worth considering.

Last edited by Ron; 12-08-2014 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-08-2004, 09:02 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

How often does Snell update their ratings? I was told it was every 5 years and they are good for 10 years (provided the helmet is not damaged). Can anyone comment on this?
Old 10-08-2004, 10:10 PM
mnmblu
Drifting

Thanks Ron. I will look at that one too.

Quick Reply: Need advice on a new helmet SA2000