Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID GROUP BUY

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 11:57 PM
dwe8922
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 15 Posts
Does the HID low beam put out more light than the standard high beam?

Thanks,
David
Old 03-06-2003, 01:03 AM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, but your high beam has a different pattern. The low beam HID upgrade is not meant to replace your high beams.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hhey Eric,
This is a stupid question, but I have not seen a picture of the install with the lights actually turned off. From a cosmetic standpoint, does the low beam round glass light cover in a 993 headlight stay in or does that come out??

I do not know if that is a part of the actual light itself or if that is the lens for projection. I want more light , but I like the clean look that the car has now.

Thanks
Robert Collins
Old 03-06-2003, 01:42 AM
96P993
Pro

Robert when the headlight is off it looks exactly the same as it does now....there is no change at all.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:08 AM
96P993
Pro

Ok I thought I would give you guys a look at what Brian has been talking about..this option will work (hopefully) but will take a little more work...Here are some pictures of the install. <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/96p993/igniter" target="_blank">igniter</a> <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/96p993/DSCF0031.JPG" target="_blank">connected</a> <a href="http://members.rennlist.com/96p993/DSCF0032.JPG" target="_blank">done</a>

The hole that is cut will have to be a little larger because the connector from the igniter is to big to fit through the 1 inch hole. I decided to seal the grommet cover with electrical tape and weatherstripping silicone. I think this will work, Im just not convinced the heat inside wont do anyting to the igniter. Just another option for those who want to do something different. I personally see no advantage to this install, it is a little cleaner but by no means will it do anything better for the headlight..
Old 03-06-2003, 11:06 AM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris,

Thanks for investigating the igniter in the housing issue. It appears that you can get a really clean OEM looking install with this set up. I think I am going to pull the trigger on this, I am just going to email Eric a couple of questions.

Brian
Old 03-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Stuart Ross UK 1996 C4
Advanced

I have 2 questions, apologies if I have missed the answer which may have already been posted in a somewhat extensive thread !!

(1) Liteswap - Are you willing to ship to the UK, and if so what is the cost

(2) 96P993 - What about the ground wire (I assume its the read one coming out of the headlamp from the pictures) ?, if this is connected to the body does this effect the quick removal system of the headlamps, ie: no cables to disconnect

Many thanks in advance

Stuart
Old 03-06-2003, 01:26 PM
bet
Drifting

Stuart,

With Chris' install you are not going to have a quick removal of the headlights as you will still have the ballast going through the back of the head light assembly, even if you ground inside the head light.

That being said, I plan on trying to tap into the headlight assemblies OEM pin connectors to attach the igniter inside and hope to achieve an OEM like installation with the ease of quickly removing the headlights without disconnecting wires.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:24 PM
96P993
Pro

The ground wire is not the one coming from the headlight. It connects to the ballast and then connects to the car. There is another wire coming from the ballast that is the power wire. If you do it the way that is shown in the DIY you will still have all the quick disconnect capabilites but you will have to disconnect a couple wires before you pull the headlight out. I still havent decided which way is best for me. I think the decision is up to the individual. Putting the igniter in the headlight frees up a littel room but makes the interior of the headlight very cramped and Im just not sure I like that. Brian you have to realize the install that is on the DIY is going to be easier to take the headlight out then putting the igniter in the headlight. If the igniter is in the headlight you will have two wires coming out of the back. One goes to the power wire that comes from the ballast (easy to disconnect) the other is a little more difficult. That wire connects directly to the ballast. Depending on where the ballast is connected you will have to disconnect this wire from the ballast every time you wnat the headlight to come out. If the ballast is inside the front hood this is not the easiest thing to do. In fact it is a pain in the A$$. Stuart to answer your question I would stick with the DIY if you want an easier way to get the headlight out. The only way to get a true easy disconnect is to have the ballast connected to the headlight itself...Im not sure that is going to happen with the space in there.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:19 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by bet:
<strong>I plan on trying to tap into the headlight assemblies OEM pin connectors to attach the igniter inside and hope to achieve an OEM like installation with the ease of quickly removing the headlights without disconnecting wires.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Brian
Now that's the way to do it ... IMHO. From what I've seen, it is feasible, although it will a bit more effort than Chris' install. However, the benefit will be a very clean "factory" job. I'll be happy to assist you if you'd like.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:27 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by 96P993:
<strong>If the igniter is in the headlight you will have two wires coming out of the back.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Chris, if I understand the installation Brian is planning, and I think I do since it's the same suggestion I made much earlier in this long thread, there will be NO holes in the headlight and NO wires coming out. The wiring from the trunk mounted ballast will be through the headlight's multi-pin connector - all EXACTLY like Porsche/Bosch designed it for the factory Litronics. It'll be very cool.
Old 03-06-2003, 03:47 PM
bet
Drifting

Dan,

That is exactly what I plan to attempt. I will have the ballast installed in the trunk area like the OEM Litronics and splice into the power going to the headlights outside of the assembly so that I can then splice the igniter into the wiring inside the headlight assembly and ground it inside the assembly. Thereby continuing to use the pin connector for all the power and connections and doing away with any holes being made the back cover.

Chris, don't get me wrong your diy is great and makes for a quick and easy installation. Thank you very much for being the first to experiment. Your install is what has convinced me to give these HID's a try.

On a related note, I can't seem to find the order section of Eric's website. I follow the link under his signature but end up at forum page of some sort. So Eric if you are still reading this thread please email at the link for my email. Thanks Brian
Old 03-06-2003, 04:03 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Unforutnately shipping to the UK would cost over $100 according to UPS/FedEx in addition to whatever customs/duties you need to pay.

BET, I am going to start a new thread becaus I have been getting a LOT of emails of people not wanting to go through 13 pages Please look for the new thread
Old 03-06-2003, 04:19 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Brian and Dan,

I'm not sure which way I plan on doing the DIY, but would be very interested in the details of trying to use the factory headlight's pin connector.

Brian - if this is going to be your approach, could you please take pics as you do it and then post them with a short write up? Where are you in Indiana - maybe I can come over and we could take on this project together???

-Skip
Old 03-06-2003, 04:37 PM
bet
Drifting

Skip

Sure I will take pictures. Now realize I didn't jump on the bandwagon real quick (wanted to see how things were going to work) and will have to wait to get my kit. However you are more than welcome to come and join me for installations. However, I live in Evansville (Southern Indiana) which is quite a drive from Chicago (probably the furthest place from Chicago in Indiana other than the area by Louisville).

Quick Reply: HID GROUP BUY