Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID GROUP BUY

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2003, 12:04 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And if you are interested in the foglight kit... I can have that arrive with my next shipment and ship both your headlight and fog at the same time to save on shipping. But for that, I would need to know the interest level almost right away so I can order them with the H1s that are on backorder now.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:06 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the quick response. I guess I didn’t make myself clear on a couple of points.

Regarding the igniter in the head light assembly. Why would that require additional holes? I would assume with the igniter in the assembly you would just need a wire from the igniter to the ballast as the igniter to the bulb would be inside the assembly, right? Also does the igniter produce any heat (maybe Eric is the one I should ask this too)? I am thinking the work around for you concern about it bouncing around would be to wrap in a dense foam wrap so that it really couldn’t move around. So if I wanted to attempt this would it actually fit? I am just trying to get a really clean almost OEM looking install.

As for the aiming. I understand how to aim the lights, I am just concerned that the spread pattern or location of hot spots as result of the bulb could be difficult to aim and whether the actual modifications hinders the movement an aiming.

When you get a chance I would really appreciate the lights shining on a flat wall. I understand that they are true HID lights I am just concerned about spread patterns, hot spots and not well lit areas.

Thanks for all the leg work you have done on this. I really appreciate your efforts.
Old 03-05-2003, 02:54 PM
Randy M
Drifting

Received 724 Likes on 334 Posts
96P993 Excellent DIY. Now I just have to convince my wife. Eric hopefully I'll be in touch. $320 delivered?
Old 03-05-2003, 03:37 PM
kary993
Drifting

Bet,

I assume you are currently using the stock head lights. Yes? If so, I doubt you really have to worry about dark spots or other lighting issues compared to stock. The stock lights suck IMHO.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:43 PM
96P993
Pro

bet my question for you and anyone else that wants to answer is this..what is the wattage of the high beam bulbs?? I ask this because if you put the igniter in the headlight it will have to be near the high beam..If you wrap in some sort of foam I would wonder about the safety of the foam and untimately the headlgight....I could be completely wrong, it is just a thought. I would pull a headlight and take a look inside.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:58 PM
Temple
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow -- great work on the DYI. I was just about to 'pull the trigger,' however, when a buddy of mine raised one final concern . . . he said I should be ready for a having a bunch of people yell at me to turn off my high beams. His impression is that the aftermarket HIDs are even brighter than the factory litronics/xenon that OEMs use, and you run into even more aggravated drivers being dazzled by your lights. Any thoughts on this?

Finally, Eric -- any chance for a discount on the halogen foglight upgrade as well (as an alternative to the HID foglight offer)?

Sorry for the additional questions.... I really do appreciate all the hard work y'all have put into this.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:02 PM
96P993
Pro

Temple I dont really think they are any brighter then OEM HID lights. I know they arent any brighter then my BMW was. I think the key is to make sure your headlights arent too high and shining in other peoples faces. The best way to know is to have someone drive your car past you and see just how bad they are. It you dont think they are annoying then so be it.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:12 PM
magnetic1
Racer

Randy, the $320 price is for the FOGLIGHT HID kit, not the headlight.

Lets try to answer some questions here. The igniter produces very little heat. It is mainly used when you turn your lights on. You could mount it inside the healamp housing is you so desire.

As far as people flashing you, because the 993 has projector based housings, the glare will not be as excessive as say a reflector unit. It should retain the correct beam cutoff. The way a projector based light works, is that it is basically a round mirror... inside, there is a plate which blocks off the emission of light at a certain horizontal plane.

Temple, as posted, the HID foglight kit would be $320.

Due to inventory and availability, I am moving the closing date of this GB to THIS SATURDAY. 3/8/2003.

I have 10 kits in stock and dedicated for you guys. These kits will ship FRIDAY. I have 9 more inbound due to arrive mid-late next week and the remaining orders will ship then (Probably Next Friday).

I currently have only ONE H3 Foglight kit available arriving with above shipment. And more coming in on my next order. So I guess if some one wants the H3 Foglight kit now, let me know and I will set it aside for you and ship along with your H1 Headlamp HID kit.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:18 PM
96P993
Pro

Eric I think Temple is talking about a HID look alike halogen bulb instead of the real HID kit
Old 03-05-2003, 04:31 PM
magnetic1
Racer

96P993/Temple, we can get you those bulbs if you choose. It would generate less output, but you would have the "color". They are on our site under Halogen. The Catza4100K would give you a blue look.

-Eric
Old 03-05-2003, 04:36 PM
bet
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Kary I don't deny that this upgrade is better than the my current standard 993 lights. I agree that the standard lights suck. However, what I am trying to determine is whether the money I would be spending on this product is worth it, or whether I would be better off spending a little more to get a different product. Along this same line of reasoning I don’t want to spend extra money on something else if I can get a comparable or even better product for a more attractive price. See what I am after here? It is sort of like owning a 13” TV and looking at bigger TVs. A 32” will give a bigger picture, but for a few dollars more you can get the 55”. However if you are looking at a 32” and 33” why spend more on a 33” where the gains in picture size may not be noticeable. If these lights are like the 32” and the litronics (or a product offering comparable quality light output) are like the 33”…no question I am in. If these are like the 32” and that Litronics (et. el.) are like the 55”, I have some personal $$ vs. quality light output issues to decide. Of course the best situation is that these are equal to or better than the litronics

Good question on the heat of the bulbs (also the new HID bulb) and the foam. I don’t know the answer to that. Maybe Dan or Eric or Robin if he is reading can shed some light (no pun intended) on this issue.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:45 PM
96P993
Pro

The HID bulbs put out less power then the Halogens so I dont think that would be an issue. The reason I brought this up is because I have heard of people putting in 100watt bulbs in their high beam location..There is no question in my mind that those put off some serious heat (more then enough to burn wiring). I didnt considered the headlight as a location for this reason and the research to find out the heat (ie temp gauge inside headlight) just isnt worth the trouble...Get them and be the first to do it...its fun to be a pioneer
Old 03-05-2003, 04:47 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As an alternative to the foglight upgrade above, you may want to consider getting Turbo S vents and replacing the dim positioning lights with 35 or 55 watt PIAA driving lights - this is what I am getting on my car.

Perhaps Eric also has an alternative for this positioning light as well.
Old 03-05-2003, 04:52 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
bet,

From all the posts here and on the internet I believe that the difference between HIDs, Litronics, Xenon, are just in the name. They use the same technology - see the following previous post.

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006395#000001" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=006395#000001</a>

The efforts that Chris went through with the help of Eric during the last few weeks has been to research, identify, and test install what we believe to be one of the better HID conversion kits available.

To take your example, I would say that this HID conversion kit and the Porsche Litronics are either both 32" or 32"/33" respectively. The catch is that the Porsche Litronics will cost you $2,500 not including install where as the Catz conversion kit will cost you $400 including proven DIY installation instructions.

Good luck with your decision...With the 150+ posts to this thread and the $400 price tag, my decision was easy...

-Skip
Old 03-05-2003, 05:07 PM
magnetic1
Racer

150+ posts and 11 pages later (no one has confirmed if this was a record yet )

The Litronics in MY opinion would give better light and a more defined beam pattern, but the cost is just prohibitive (for most people anyhow).

Now, if the Porsche had factory reflectors, and you had a choice to goto projectors.. I might have to consider that seriously.

And yes, the HID capsule puts out less heat than a halogen. As far as fog goes, I do not know what the factory wattage is (35?) but you woul dhave to be careful in going too high on the wattage there as I do not know how much heat the housings or harnesses can take. For high beams, you could goto a higher wattage bulb, but the same concerns exist.

Quick Reply: HID GROUP BUY