993 Forum 1995-1998

993 cabrio wind deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2001, 12:53 PM
topless
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 993 cabrio wind deflector question

does anyone know whether it is possible to keep the wind deflector securely fastened whilst operating the cabrio top, or does it have to be removed whenever opening or closing the roof?
Old 08-01-2001, 01:24 PM
Bill Z
Advanced

It is designed to stay installed to the top whether up or down. Bill Z
Old 08-01-2001, 02:52 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Kept mine fastened for about 3 years without any problems. It is designed stay fastened, unless you need to remove for additional space in rear seat area.
Old 08-01-2001, 03:21 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

As a new cabriolet owner, I'm also interested in the wind deflector. For those of you with one, how much do you think it helps? Are there any aftermarket options that are better?
Old 08-01-2001, 04:34 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

I bought a Porsche wind deflector for my 993 cab from Porsche Paddock (aka Sportique Porsche) in New York. I think it was close to $400. Best $400 I spent. It completely eliminates the back draft and you can actually cruise around for hours with the top down without feeling beat up and so dirty you want to take a shower.
Old 08-01-2001, 05:01 PM
amfp
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Agree with ZCAT3. It is probably the best add on Porsche accesssory I purchased for my Cab. It allows you to have a conversation with your passenger without shouting because of all the wind noise. As importantly to me where top down weather is only about 6-7 months a year, it allow me to extend about 2 months because it isolates cold wind blowing your face during below 55 degree days. Just crank up the heater and use the windstop and it very comfortable. Same for hot days with A/C on.

Of course if you want the wind blowing you your face, which I sometime do, you just put the windstop down. Don't know much about non-Porsche windscreens, but what I read advertised, they look cheap, and probably not a custom fit, nor as effective as the Porsche windscreen.
Old 08-02-2001, 02:32 AM
DoubleNutz
USMarine
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 38 Posts
It completely eliminates the back draft and you can actually cruise around for hours with the top down without feeling beat up

Totally agree, I have the windstop and it has been great on the cool mornings that I don't want to put the top up while cruising down the freeway. My only complaint is... I wish it were made lexan or some sort of plexiglass (kind of difficult to see the cops creep'n up behind ya).

Trending Topics

Old 08-22-2001, 12:16 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by topless:
<STRONG>does anyone know whether it is possible to keep the wind deflector securely fastened whilst operating the cabrio top, or does it have to be removed whenever opening or closing the roof?</STRONG>
Old 08-22-2001, 12:18 AM
okindao
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sorry bout last post ( rookie error)
Does anyone know if the windstop can still be used if a roll bar was installed , bar has been secured to the frame.

anyone have any experience in this area, i have a 97 993 Triple black Cab ,19000 miles

Thanks
Old 08-22-2001, 02:00 AM
Eric in Chicago
Three Wheelin'

Received 51 Likes on 12 Posts
If it is a DAS rollbar then you should have no problem. Any other (saftey system ect.) you may have a problem
Old 08-22-2001, 01:45 PM
D.G..
Instructor

The windscreen must be removed when a Techart roll bar is installed.

Dave
Old 08-23-2001, 10:17 AM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

High,
Tom: Don't do it!!!, I'm a 964 owner but thats not the question here, I am however a cabriolet owner, that makes me qualified to give an opinion. I wouldn't install one of these things if it was given to me for free.
They cut down the wind, the engine noise, the feeling of being in a open car; This is what true convertable drivers thrive on....
The quote on feeling beat up and dirty after driving a couple of hours is the most idiotic thing I've heard in months, I've done many a morning cruise w/ the top down(at speed too) for hours and never reached my destination feeling "beat up and so dirty that you want to take a shower", in fact I always feel the exact oppisite; revived, alive, refreshed!,and have gone the rest of the day without the shower(I'd hate to wash that "I just did 200 miles in my convertable Porsche" feeling off)!.... It sounds like some people should have taken a closer look at the Targa! **********964's rule*******
The following users liked this post:
1998Porsche (04-22-2023)
Old 08-25-2001, 04:52 PM
Rex
AutoX

I have an Autopower roll bar in my 993 Cab. I bought a piece of 3/8" clear plexiglass, cut it to shape, drilled 6 holes in it, and used cable ties to fasten it to the roll bar. I have pads on the roll bar which cushions it. Works great and I can still see the cops comming. Total cost $45 and about 1 hour of my labor.
Old 08-27-2001, 04:07 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Geo -

Thanks for calling me (and everyone else who agrees with me) an idiot. Learning to temper one's language is always a good idea when using written communication. As for getting dirty while driving with the top down, I guess you drive on pristine city roads (or enjoy being grimy). Right after I got my cab, I took a nice long drive down the Pacific Coast Highway and then through some back counrty roads. Plenty of dust and dirt to kick up. Not only does this get on your face and in your hair, it also gets in the car. Open air driving is great, and there are definitely times when having the windstop up is not the way to go - but it certainly is a nice option. In case you didn't know (which I presume you did not), raising or lowering the windscreen takes about 1 second.
Old 08-27-2001, 05:33 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Bill,
I never called you or anyone here an idiot,
I just felt what u had to say was a little idotic, c'mon now we all say some stupid s**t
every now and then(i myself maybe a little more often;according to my wife,lol). I'm a convertable driver for 10 yrs., the top ALWAYS goes down, regardless of temp. On the contrary, most of my(if not all of my driving is done through the backroads, forests, and farms(man that cow **** stinks) of the northeast, either you,ve got some really dirty roads, or I really am just a scumbag(or both), what do you think?(not that I care),LOL, I am aware of the operation of these unneccesary options!
I guess your right, after 10 years of cabriolet driving what could I possibbly know about this subject? sorry all.....
Peace, Geo
The following users liked this post:
1998Porsche (04-22-2023)

Quick Reply: 993 cabrio wind deflector question