Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

993 cabrio wind deflector question

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2001, 06:16 PM
ZCAT3
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Geo - no problem - no real offense taken. I do have a question for you though - if you drive withe the top down almost all the time, how do you keep the inside of the car clean? I notice a fair amount of dust and grime inside the car after prolonged top down driving.
Old 08-28-2001, 01:13 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

High Bill,
I am a neat freak,so I keep my cockpit looking it's best at all times, it just takes a little time and a few tricks, i'll share them w/u: first I got this little dustcloth made by 3M in the housekkeeping section of my supermarket,it works amazing, it picks up dust off all surfaces and is washable and it's so soft its uncapable of scratching, I use it when the dust factor gets too high for me to handle(after every ride),you gotta get 1 of these babys(use it on every surface of your interior). For my seats I clean and condition them every 1000 miles or so(depending on condition),Lexol or Blue magic leather care works good. I wash the dash,doors,wheel with light soap and water mix on a damp cloth and dry them imediately,then I apply a protectant(something w/uv protection) also every 1000 miles or so. In between vacumes,I use a soft short bristle brush on the carpet when the top is down(so dust can escape),and tap the mats off regularly. For the windshield I use those p21s windshield wipes when i can see any build-up.
Tricks for keeping the top in great shape:
If your window has scratches try useing 3M
imperial hand glaze,the plastic window cleaner found in the Porsche cabriolet care kit,or meguire's plastic cleaner(#17)don't get any of these on the top itself,after that I apply meguires plastic polish(#10),for daily cleaning I use meguire's plastic detailer(#18)which works really well.
Do both sides, it's a good idea to use your brush on the top(w/the direction of the fabric)and clean your rear window before you put the top down,(dust is a major cause of fogging and scratching of the plastic).Using these techniqes I've been able to keep my cockpit in top shape despite driving with the top down all the time!!Good luck.....
Geo.

How'd ya do that???!!
Old 08-29-2001, 06:03 PM
Carmen
Advanced

Originally posted by ZCAT3:
<STRONG>I do have a question for you though - if you drive withe the top down almost all the time, how do you keep the inside of the car clean? </STRONG>
Bill,
FWIW -
I had the pleasure of meeting Geo the other day, and let me say 'his car is immaculate'. I was very VERY impressed of how clean his car is for a '91 964. I have a 95 Cab and use it as my daily driver when weather permits and love the 'open air' feeling, but with that come the obviuos dust. If you wipe down int. after each ride, the interior should pretty much stay rather clean. People say my car is always clean, Geo's is BEYOND - - - &gt;
He has given me a few tips which I greatly appreciated and gained a new P car friend.
Old 08-29-2001, 09:26 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

High,
Thanx for the compliments Carmen,It was also a pleasure meeting u and ur car,
Here's to new freinds, "CHEERS",
talk to ya soon, Geo.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:38 AM
kelvyn
2nd Gear

Hi there, I am new to this forum and have a question. I live in New Zealand and am looking at buying a wind deflector in from the States for my 1995 993. There seems to be some confusion as to which is the right part number for that year/model. Vehicle chassis no is: WPOZZZ99ZSS331034. It has lap belts (two point)in the back seat, whereas some 95 models and later have diagonal (3 point ) belts. The car was manufactured in March 95, so would probably fit in to the 93 - 94 bracket. Is there any way I can confirm the correct part number for the deflector? Any help much appreciated.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:45 AM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been debating for a long time if I should go ahead and purchase a deflector. I just came back from a 1000 mile trip through the Dolomites within Southern Tyrol and I never had the feeling it would have been a benefit. I owned my cor some 5 years now and if it get's too cold, I have a nice leather jacket with a tall collar I can fold up, baseball cap on top and I'm set.
I stick with the stock set up. That's just my opinion.
Ed
Old 08-23-2012, 09:45 AM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I am one who loves open air driving and the top on my car is nearly always down. I think the deflector is a great option. I usually have it down, but do use it if I want to have a bit less of that "bugs-in-the-teeth" feel. Hadn't considered that it would help keep the interior cleaner. I just clean it when it gets dirty. Thanks for the cleaning tips Geo!
Old 09-15-2019, 02:38 AM
sogasd
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind deflector fail

I recently purchased a new wind deflector for my 1998 993 from the dealer, who brought it from Germany. I didn't have one and decided i better get one before i cant. So this is a new old stock (or factory repro?)..

There is a short "follower arm" that goes from the deflector to the cab frame, and causes the screen to stay vertical, and also to "follow" the top as it goes up and down and fold the deflector up against the top when it is up. This arm is press fit onto a pivot pin on the fixed frame of the deflector (I hope this image is coming thru). There is no fastener. to keep the follower arm attached - just the deformation of the tip. As the top goes up and down, it appears that the geometry changes and at some point there is enough torque between the follower and the frame to cause this follower arm to pop off the pivot pin. This allows the deflector to just fall over and hit me in the head if the top is up. I have studied the roof frame and i do not see any way that the geometry can be adjusted. Has anyone seen this and if so what was the solution.

I contacted the dealer about problem and they ordered a replacement, which has the same problem. Either it is a tooling problem at the factory or a strange issue on my car. Ideas?
Old 09-17-2019, 04:11 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

I had the exact same problem on my deflector this past June. Mine is the original deflector purchased with the car in 1996. I couldn’t find any information on the problem. It seemed to me that Porsche will sell you the whole deflector assembly but not the control arm for it.
I tried a number of hacks (including plumbers tape) but the deflector control arm kept popping out and the screen would fall over. I took mine to Pfaff Porsche and the technician fixed it with crazy glue! He just put it in the receiver where the pin goes. It had been working like a charm all summer - and It’s my daily driver in the summer months.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:30 PM
territory145
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

BE CAREFUL IF YOU ZIP THE DEFLECTOR INTO THE HEADLINER, IF THE FRAME OF THE TOP BENDS AT ALL, THE DEFLECTOR WILL BREAK. IT JUST HAPPENED TO ME AND I'VE PURCHASED A NEW DEFLECTOR AND BAG. NO MORE ZIPPING INTO THE HEADLINER FOR ME.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:10 PM
sogasd
8th Gear

Default Deflector follower arm

Super glue? Maybe minot visualizing correctly because that little arm has to pivot. I am tempted to drill out the pin and put in a tiny screw/washer combo (probably pretty fragile?) or maybe drill it all out and make a bolt stud? Any better ideas out there?
Old 09-19-2019, 02:16 PM
ethannnn
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get one of these wind deflectors? I've been looking for one and cant find one in stock.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:11 PM
Anakin Skywalker
Drifting

Received 478 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ethannnn
Does anyone know where I can get one of these wind deflectors? I've been looking for one and cant find one in stock.
Suncoast lists them for $809 US.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:20 PM
ethannnn
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a bunch of ads for them but from what I've gathered, there's none in the US. A dealer told me they may arrive in November but I cant be sure.
Old 09-19-2019, 05:25 PM
sogasd
8th Gear

I bought mine from the local dealer 3 years ago. Still available but shipped out of Germany so it took a few weeks.

Quick Reply: 993 cabrio wind deflector question