Sponsored by:

Remote not working

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 12:32 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 139 Posts
Default Remote not working

Car was working yesterday, parked in the driveway several hours. Go to start and dash lights up but no cranking. Tried the remote and nothing happens. So walk to the grocery store a block away and get a new remote battery. Install and also replaced battery on IMMO block , again nothing, Remote battery has 12.59 v when checked. Remote light illuminates when pressed. Tried locking and then unlocking with key in door, open door, alarm sounds. Nothing again with remote fob. Quickly remove the ground off the battery. Today put the ground back on the battery , immediately goes into alarm mode, remote does nothing.
Old 04-11-2023, 12:58 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,509 Likes on 1,065 Posts

Hi Half German,
Before digging deep and spending good money try:
Check the car battery and see if it is over 12.5 volts. If not it needs a charge.
If the starter turns over the engine but it won't start and run replace the Motronic DME relay, sometimes called the fuel pump relay. The relay can also be pride open to inspect an resolder any broken connections internal to it.
If it simply won't engage the starter and rotate the engine clean the battery connections and inspect the ones at the starter.
Andy
Old 04-11-2023, 01:26 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Car was working yesterday, parked in the driveway several hours. Go to start and dash lights up but no cranking. Tried the remote and nothing happens. So walk to the grocery store a block away and get a new remote battery. Install and also replaced battery on IMMO block , again nothing, Remote battery has 12.59 v when checked. Remote light illuminates when pressed. Tried locking and then unlocking with key in door, open door, alarm sounds. Nothing again with remote fob. Quickly remove the ground off the battery. Today put the ground back on the battery , immediately goes into alarm mode, remote does nothing.
Remotes (FOBs) do fail, as does the RF sensitivity of the immobilizer, both can be repaired.

Read here; https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ing-issue.html

And here; https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...arm-issue.html
http://www.systemsc.com/

Last edited by systemsc; 04-11-2023 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-11-2023, 05:21 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 250 Posts

I agree with Loren. I have fixed many of the Porsche 993 key fobs. The switch fails, as well as component solderings. Some even develop internal corrosion due to moisture or battery leaks.
Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-11-2023, 09:57 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ToreB
I agree with Loren. I have fixed many of the Porsche 993 key fobs. The switch fails, as well as component solderings. Some even develop internal corrosion due to moisture or battery leaks.
Cheers,
Tore
Yes, that's a common problem. I see more of that lately.
Old 04-12-2023, 09:48 AM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Looks like I have to pull the seat to get at the immobilizer. Ordered the proper hex tools for the seat bolts, found in this thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...eat-bolts.html

Hopefully I have them by this weekend so I can work on the car. Will keep everyone updated.

Harold
Old 04-15-2023, 03:07 PM
HalfGerman
Rennlist Member

Got the seat out, someone's definitely been in there before me. One bolt was a regular allen head the other 5 stock. Some worse than others, enough that I do not want to reuse. Ordered a replacement set ( replica's) from Sierra Madre. Will see what head they use, could not tell from their stock pic. No security cover over the CPU , module.

Will send remote / module to a fellow Rennlister to check out for me. At the very least getting the caps replaced on the immobilizer.
The following users liked this post:
jay@EZimmoblock.com (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 04:24 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by HalfGerman
Got the seat out, someone's definitely been in there before me. One bolt was a regular allen head the other 5 stock. Some worse than others, enough that I do not want to reuse. Ordered a replacement set ( replica's) from Sierra Madre. Will see what head they use, could not tell from their stock pic. No security cover over the CPU , module.

Will send remote / module to a fellow Rennlister to check out for me. At the very least getting the caps replaced on the immobilizer.
Make sure the remote (FOB) gets updated too! It may be your only problem.
Old 04-17-2023, 11:34 PM
TheBen
Drifting

Received 127 Likes on 95 Posts

Isn't there an aftermarket version that looks stock but offers better range/components? I think I read about it but now can't find the info...
Old 04-18-2023, 01:37 AM
dacatz
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a problem too, i have a 95 c2 cab, i cannot program the remote since the immbo light didn;t turn on the clock at all. I put the new leds on the clock, still not working. Clean the contacts to the clock and still unable to program it. I saw the ecu doctors about programming remote video, but when i close the door wait couple seconds (see the alarm led light flashing slowly), lock and unlock, i didn't hear the horn beep. But I am sure i have immobilizer, since i got the code from dealer. 2nd i have led flashing when i use the key to lock the door at the driver side. 3rd, when i lock the door waited for 5mins and unlock the vehicle from inside, alarms will goes off. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Old 04-18-2023, 04:36 AM
orangecurry
Three Wheelin'

Received 418 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBen
Isn't there an aftermarket version that looks stock but offers better range/components? I think I read about it but now can't find the info...
Do you mean BergvillFX T-lock?

https://www.bergvillfx.com/categorie...-keyless-entry
Old 04-18-2023, 10:59 AM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

See here.
Old 04-18-2023, 01:25 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by dacatz
I have a problem too, i have a 95 c2 cab, i cannot program the remote since the immbo light didn;t turn on the clock at all. I put the new leds on the clock, still not working. Clean the contacts to the clock and still unable to program it. I saw the ecu doctors about programming remote video, but when i close the door wait couple seconds (see the alarm led light flashing slowly), lock and unlock, i didn't hear the horn beep. But I am sure i have immobilizer, since i got the code from dealer. 2nd i have led flashing when i use the key to lock the door at the driver side. 3rd, when i lock the door waited for 5mins and unlock the vehicle from inside, alarms will goes off. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks
Try using incandescent bulbs. If the alarm light still fails to illuminate, you may have a problem with the ignition switch contacts. This would require programming the immobilizer FOBs externally,
or replacing the ignition switch. We have provided the external programming service to many Porsche independents and dealers.
Old 04-18-2023, 03:16 PM
jay@EZimmoblock.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 411 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by dacatz
You need to get the immobilizer warning light working before attempting to program FOBs. Without the feedback it provides you won't be able to do the procedure. The lamp is driven directly by the immobilizer. A quick test to see if the immo is driving the bulb and that the bulb is good is to just turn the ignition ON. The immobilizer always tests the lamp for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on, longer if the immobilizer is armed. If the LED doesn't work, switch back to an incandesant bulb. Once you get that working you can think about doing the procedure.

2) If the door LED double flashes when you lock the door, one or more of the following is open: either door, the frunk, the engine lid, or the glovebox. Or the radio is out. The cab may have other switches that are monitored. (If the door LED single flashes. that's normal),
3) Once you lock the door, the only way to open it without sounding the alarm is with the FOB. Even the inside door handle will trip the alarm.

Last edited by jay@EZimmoblock.com; 04-18-2023 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-18-2023, 05:03 PM
systemsc
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Once the immobilizer is functioning properly AND you have fully functional original (20+ yrs) OEM FOBs, the range is typically 20+ feet.

Quick Reply: Remote not working