Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

How supportive is your wife/girlfriend/significant other?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 12:18 PM
Rob Kwate
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Post How supportive is your wife/girlfriend/significant other?

I just posted a reply about my wife suggesting we interrupt our vacation at Lake Tahoe to drive two hours to a Porsche dealership to test drive a 993, and it brought to mind how tolerant, supportive, and even encouraging she has been of my Porsche obsession over the last 10 years. She frequently reminds me how lucky I am to have such a tolerant, supportive, and encouraging wife. Are your wives, girlfriends, signifigant others, families, whatever you call them supportive of Porsches or do they just tolerate it all? And if they are supportive, how? I may want to suggest other ways my wife could support my obsession. Just curious? And I apologize if I struck a nerve with anyone.

Regards, Rob.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:25 PM
914und993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife is game to try just about anything once, and if its something I cajoled her into, she usually concedes she's glad I did. The 911 falls into that category. After pushing her into her first DEW, she went back for more, and it made her very comfortable with the car.

It also made her more comfortable with the recent expensive suspension upgrades .
Old 03-16-2003, 12:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts
Hmmmm, I would say my wife tolerates is very well. I would suspect less well if she knew what these cars REALLY cost! But she does understand the obsession...a while ago I was playing with the idea of selling the 993 due to a number of reasons. She told me to forget it, I would not be happy with any other car, and stick with the 993! We are also going through a financial crisis (had to lay off all my staff at the company that I help found, including myself, and am now shutting it down) and she still sticks with keeping the car although there is the occasional "gee, we would live for a whole year off that car if you sold it" comments!
Old 03-16-2003, 12:38 PM
Gee993
Intermediate

You can't really enjoy a P-car without SO/wife/gf support. Owning a p-car is really an obsession and all you'll get is "you love that car more than you love me". My wife was and is very supportive of my p-car is really happy that I'm enjoying it and fulfilling a longtime dream to own one. She doesn't really go to events, etc., but doesn't mind my frequent stops and trip to auto stores and Porsche dealers.
Old 03-16-2003, 12:52 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 341 Likes on 152 Posts
Thumbs up

My wife is such a fanatic, I have to ask her to CALM DOWN from time to time!!! I owned Porsches before we got married and bought one for her so she could discover what it's all about. It wasn't long before she became a board member in our local PCA region. She won enthusiat of the year several times as well as competition awards. Then the concours bug bit.........yes the walls are filled with awards. In 1998 she changed jobs and went to work as the office manager for an independent Porsche repair/race shop! The next year she was Team Operations Manager for the Reiser Callas Rennsport team running two 993s in the American LeMans series. Check out <a href="http://www.reiser-callas.com." target="_blank">www.reiser-callas.com.</a> They came in 3rd overall for the year in ALMS and 1st in USRRC which is now Grand Am. She is now retired from racing but is active in PCA and the 356 registry and loves driving our 97 Carrera S. Most guys ask me if I know how lucky I am? I've always known that!
Robert
Old 03-16-2003, 12:56 PM
adsc4s
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife is the best! She supported me with my purchase of my 964 cab a year ago and adding a 993 C4S a month ago. I have assured her I would sell the 964 cab as soon as possible but she doesn't want me to get taken to the cleaners and sell at a huge loss so I am waiting for the right opportunity. Meanwhile, I have 2 p-cars in the garage!

Additionally, she doesn't even have a desire to drive either!
Old 03-16-2003, 01:37 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check out this thread...

<a href="http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000521;p=1" target="_blank">http://forums.rennlist.com/forums/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000521;p=1</a>

I think that it should give you another view point.
Old 03-16-2003, 03:21 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thumbs up

Gotta tell you this one too....
She comes home from work, pulls in the garage, comes in the house and asks me to please bring in the groceries that are in the trunk. I moan a little bit, but I go out and open the trunk and there's no groceries. Instead there is a 917/10 12 cylinder engine case that George Follmer ran in the L&M car at LeMans!!! She had gone over to Vasek Polak's warehouse with her boss that day to see what they were selling off. This was not too long after his death, and they were getting rid of "porsche stuff" that had been forgotten about for years. She thought this would be a nice addition to our collection of Porsche models (2051 and counting) posters, books, tapes etc. etc. It was also Valentines Day!! What a wife!!
Robert
97 C2S
65 356 euro C
Previous P cars:
01 Boxster
74 911
85.5 944
70 914 6
66 911
NO PREVIUOS WIVES!!
Old 03-16-2003, 04:16 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RJT 993:
<strong>Instead there is a 917/10 12 cylinder engine case that George Follmer ran in the L&M car at LeMans!!! She had gone over to Vasek Polak's warehouse with her boss that day to see what they were selling off... It was also Valentines Day!! What a wife!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Damn.

Does she have a sister?
Old 03-16-2003, 04:23 PM
Renato
Instructor

My wife is very supportive....when I when to buy my current Porsche, I was actually going to buy a Boxster S...I ended up with a Carrera Cab because she helped me justify it. I'm a very lucky chap.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:21 PM
Robert Henriksen
Addict
Rennlist Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by RJT 993:
<strong>Gotta tell you this one too....
She comes home from work, pulls in the garage, comes in the house and asks me to please bring in the groceries that are in the trunk. I moan a little bit, but I go out and open the trunk and there's no groceries. Instead there is a 917/10 12 cylinder engine case that George Follmer ran in the L&M car at LeMans!!! She had gone over to Vasek Polak's warehouse with her boss that day to see what they were selling off. This was not too long after his death, and they were getting rid of "porsche stuff" that had been forgotten about for years. She thought this would be a nice addition to our collection of Porsche models (2051 and counting) posters, books, tapes etc. etc. It was also Valentines Day!! What a wife!!
Robert
97 C2S
65 356 euro C
Previous P cars:
01 Boxster
74 911
85.5 944
70 914 6
66 911
NO PREVIUOS WIVES!!</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">That's a really cool story; I do know people who vintage race 908, 906, 917 racecars... and sometimes they could really use an engine case like that. I hope you'll consider passing it along (for $$, of course) at some point to someone who'll inevitably need it to keep one of those classics out there on the track!
Old 03-16-2003, 08:06 PM
RJT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

When my wife and her boss went to Vasek's warehouse to see what was for sale, there were actually two 917/10 engine cases. A brand "new" case that had never been built or ran and the one my wife bought. She wanted the one that had some history to it, and her boss got the other one. This one definately has more history since it threw a rod during qualifying. I started to clean it up one day and she suggested I leave it the way it is, with all the original LeMans oil, grease, dirt on it. It's been quite a conversation piece, since our house has become some sort of Porsche mini museum, Porsche people from all over have stopped by to see the collection. If you didn't check it in my previous post, look at <a href="http://www.reiser-callas.com" target="_blank">www.reiser-callas.com</a> and click on "team". JoAnne is definately my better half!
Cheers!!
Robert
Old 03-16-2003, 11:54 PM
Jeff96-993
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You're all so lucky... my wife can't stand the #$%& car, which is what she calls it. She doesn't like the car because since I've gotten it the ride has gotten more harsh (thank you ROW M030), it's gotten noisier (thank you RSR and GT2 airbox cover), and I continue to spend money on it to further improve it to my liking. My definition of "improve" is not the same as hers.

She does like the heated seats... though I'm getting ready to replace them with some Recaro track seats. I'm sure she'll never get over it.
Old 03-17-2003, 10:49 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Originally posted by Silver Bullet:
<strong>...When I'm done playing, I try the other... </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana,Tahoma,Helvetica">Kim, isn't it time for you to stop playing with yourself?!
Old 03-17-2003, 11:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts
I will say that my wife is pretty tolerant to this sickness we all have. Doesn't matter what kind of car, just enthusiastic sickness.

She likes to attend the PCA events often. She is also wanting to do some autoX etc. She cant drive a manual trans, so she wants a Tip Boxster. I believe she understands the racing heritage behind Porsche and how important it is to a particular marque.

She loves to attend the CART races and hates watching F1. She says its boring. Gee, I cant imagine why she would think that????

Quick Reply: How supportive is your wife/girlfriend/significant other?