Need help with Bremen SQR 46 install

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2022, 06:28 AM
decgraham
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Need help with Bremen SQR 46 install

Hi All,

I have read almost everything I can find on here regarding installing a new Bremen SQR 46 Dab radio, but am totally stuck. My car is a 1995 C2 cab tip with the 490 hifi option with a Nokia amp under the passenger seat and the 3 speakers in each door with 2 more speakers in the rear side panels. The car originally came with a Bremen RCM 43 with a 6 CD player unit in the frunk. About 11 years ago I had a Blaupunkt Milano MP26 fitted as the RCM 43 had given up the ghost. The installer made up a small connector cable (see pic) that was just plugged into the upper section of the connectors on the Milano with the original connector for the power plugging into the lower connector block. (see pic) So the power supply block is as it came from the factory, 4 wires, 2 red, one brown and one white for the Ariel booster. The block that runs the AMP/ Speakers has been modified as shown in the pictures, however, it connects to the original block which 6 wires, on the top row, a thin Red wire a thick Grey wire and a thick Red wire. On the bottom row a thin Black, Red and Blue wire. When I bought the new SQR 46 I was hoping is would be plug and play but unfortunately it is not. I have plugged in the power block and the radio powers up, both with the ignition being switched on and by pressing the "ON" button without the ignition which is how the Milano worked, so I think I am ok on the power front, it's just getting the AMP and speakers to work now. Therefore I would like to ask if anyone can point me in the right direction to connect up the cables that fire up the amp/speakers. Any advice, help greatly appreciated.

Thanks and all the best. :-)

Current connections for the Milano MP26 radio

Made up connector to power the AMP/Speakers

Power block connected to A and adaptor cable connected to C for the AMP/Speakers
Old 04-27-2022, 10:53 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,027 Posts

Hi Decgraham.
The first issue is does the replacement radio use the same pin-outs as supplied on the original unmolested 993 wiring harness?
If so the second action is to verify all the wires to the harness are present and if necessary have them rerouted to the plugs as originally done on the car from the factory.
If it turns out the harness to the radio is different an appropriate adapter can then be purchased. Tore has these items at

https://www.bergvillfx.com/categories/wiring-harnesses

Below is a page that has all the information needed to do the above items. It looks like the Bremen head does not support an external power amp through a block connector,, it uses RCA style sockets instead. I added a section at the bottom of this page on how to work around this issue when installing your new radio head in a Premium Sound equipped car.

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html

If you want to upgrade the overall sound quality in your car here is a page that discusses this:

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...or-993-in.html

Please update us on your progress,
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 04-27-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 04-27-2022, 12:50 PM
decgraham
Track Day

Originally Posted by pp000830
Hi Decgraham.
The first issue is does the replacement radio use the same pin-outs as supplied on the original unmolested 993 wiring harness?
If so the second action is to verify all the wires to the harness are present and if necessary have them rerouted to the plugs as originally done on the car from the factory.
If it turns out the harness to the radio is different an appropriate adapter can then be purchased. Tore has these items at

https://www.bergvillfx.com/categories/wiring-harnesses

Below is a page that has all the information needed to do the above items. It looks like the Bremen head does not support an external power amp. I added a section at the bottom of this page on how to work around this issue when installing your new radio head in a Premium Sound equipped car.

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...ire-color.html

If you want to upgrade the overall sound quality in your car here is a page that discusses this:

https://993servicerepair.blogspot.co...or-993-in.html

Please update us on your progress,
Andy
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your feed back much appreciated. I will try and answer your question as follows. On the A Block I believe the pin outs are correct as it powers up both my current radio and the new Bremen. I am attaching a picture of the A Block in the wiring harness with it pin position and wire colours. There is no B Block in my harness. I have a C block plug, having looked at Andy's Porsche 993 service and repair page that you provided the link to. As he says the block is behind the dash as part of my wiring harness. Although the pins are not numbered as they are on the A Block I have assumed they follow the same sequence. I am not sure if the Bremen supports an external power amp, how could I find this out? As my older Blaupunkt Milano did support the amp I assumed, yes dangerous to do, the Bremen would too. I am attaching a picture of the rear of the Bremen where you can see the connections available along with the connector which goes to the amp. Basically I was hoping to keep the car audio as close to standard as when it came for the factory but with the new Bremen bringing the radio into the 21st Century.

I have been in touch with Tore over the past week after buying a Continental TR7412 UB-OR, he told me that the Continental does not have any line signals inputs and I would need to buy one of his special harness's. By the time we had added in the courier charges, the handling charges and the local Spanish VAT the Bremen was only €80 more so I thought I go for the Bremen which I hoped would be plug and play, unfortunately not the case.
Any further advice input greatly appreciated.

All the best, David

Back of the Bremen showing connections

Bremen connections from the manual

C Block showing brown ground wire which is wrapped in the harness

C Block showing only 6 pins connected

Drawing showing sockets and pin positions along with wire colours.
Old 04-27-2022, 04:28 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 241 Posts

You need an adapter from the phono line outputs of your new radio to the Porsche CR-1 / CR-2-specific 10-pin ISO line audio connector. You will also need to route the power-on signal to the external amplifier and connect the illumination input. CR-1 pinout is shown here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-pinouts.html
I have made an adapter harness for use in cars originally fitted with Becker radios using the yellow Mini-ISO connector, but haven't done so for the more seldom seen CR-1 setup.

Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-27-2022, 05:48 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

After looking at your picture I went back to the Bremen manual and saw the below. The unit has RCA line outs for a power amp 2 front 2 rear and a subwoofer>
A cord with the 4 RCA plugs on one end and a switched hot (+) wire and a round DIN plug on the other to plug into the Nokia amp will work. If not available as a complete cord one can be easily made by buying 4 RCA cords and cutting the ends of of one side and soldering a din plug in their place. The hot wire can just be a length of primary wire run along with the other shielded RCA cords soldered at the DIN end and attached to the switched wire from the radio head. Easy Peasy:
Andy
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2022, 06:45 PM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ToreB
You need an adapter from the phono line outputs of your new radio to the Porsche CR-1 / CR-2-specific 10-pin ISO line audio connector. You will also need to route the power-on signal to the external amplifier and connect the illumination input. CR-1 pinout is shown here: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...s-pinouts.html
I have made an adapter harness for use in cars originally fitted with Becker radios using the yellow Mini-ISO connector, but haven't done so for the more seldom seen CR-1 setup.

Cheers,
Tore
Something like this?
Amazon Amazon
Andy

Last edited by pp000830; 04-27-2022 at 06:52 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 03:39 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

That seems to be the opposite gender than necessary of the connectors in both ends.
Cheers,
T
The following users liked this post:
pp000830 (04-28-2022)
Old 04-28-2022, 03:56 AM
decgraham
Track Day

After looking at your picture I went back to the Bremen manual and saw the below. The unit has RCA line outs for a power amp 2 front 2 rear and a subwoofer>
A cord with the 4 RCA plugs on one end and a switched hot (+) wire and a round DIN plug on the other to plug into the Nokia amp will work. If not available as a complete cord one can be easily made by buying 4 RCA cords and cutting the ends of of one side and soldering a din plug in their place. The hot wire can just be a length of primary wire run along with the other shielded RCA cords soldered at the DIN end and attached to the switched wire from the radio head. Easy Peasy:
Andy
Hi Andy,

Thanks again for your input. Not so easy peasy for me :-) I've just gone back to the original radio that was installed in the car, the Bremen RCM 43 and have attached a picture of the connections. The radio came with an A block, a B Block and a C block as you can see from the picture and only required the 2 connector blocks that are in the wiring harness to make everything work. Having read your above post could I not simply connect the RCA connectors directly to my "C" block as it shows they go down to a DIN connector on the Amp. I assume that would be 4 of the wires with the balance 2 requiring a 12V+ and a ground? Could you draw a line diagram of what you have suggested above for me if not too much trouble. The old adage "A picture paints a thousand words" comes to mind :-) For clarity I have attached a picture of the RCA connectors I believe I should use.

All the best, David

These are the RCA connectors I should use?

Last edited by decgraham; 04-28-2022 at 04:09 AM. Reason: need to add more information
Old 04-28-2022, 04:58 AM
decgraham
Track Day

Originally Posted by ToreB
That seems to be the opposite gender than necessary of the connectors in both ends.
Cheers,
T
Hi Tore, more than happy to buy your connector but as before by the time I add the courier, handling charges, import duty and VAT the harness is up to €140.00. It would probably be as cheap to fly to Norway and pick it up in person, plus have a nice holiday there. :-)

All the best David
Old 04-28-2022, 08:05 AM
decgraham
Track Day

Hi,
Well I followed my own advice and with pictures of the harness from Tore and the advice from Andy I got there. Thank you both. I have attached pictures of what I did, very Heath Robinson but I will be tidying up the wires and soldering the connections to the RCA connectors and splicing into the Ariel wire nicely. It was just to see if it would work. So what I did was : Connect fine wires to the RHS of the C Block having worked out with Andy's link to Andy's Porsche 993 service and repair what wires went to the AMP. I found the 12V red supply wire with the black ground underneath it. (However in my connection that was made by a previous installer the black ground was not used, empty pin) I then got 4 old RCA connectors, I think they were from an old TV/DVD and cut them off and opened up the wires. I noticed that they have a sheath around them. On my installer made cable he had joined all the outer sheath wires together and connected them to ground so I did the same. I connected the inner wires to a fine wire that I could push into the C Block connector. I connected each RCA wire via my fine wires into the 4 connectors available in the C Block. Switched the radio on and hey presto it works, all speakers front and back. Didn't think I'd get there but I think I did :-)

RCA Connectors

Temp wire from ariel connection for power to AMP without ignition ON

Temp wires with RCA connectors

Temp wires

Unit playing memory stick
Old 04-28-2022, 08:33 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by decgraham
Hi Tore, more than happy to buy your connector but as before by the time I add the courier, handling charges, import duty and VAT the harness is up to €140.00. It would probably be as cheap to fly to Norway and pick it up in person, plus have a nice holiday there. :-)

All the best David
I'll keep the kettle on for you David. :-)
Cheers,
Tore
Old 04-29-2022, 01:27 PM
decgraham
Track Day

Hi All,

Well I made up my homemade connector and it has worked well I'm pleased to say. All installed back in the car and the Radio is working fine. Just need to find a route for the microphone if I put it by the sun visor. However, to be honest I tried the phone using the built in mic and the call was clear at both ends. Not easy to find a way through the front of the car, they were built well. I've just spent over an hour configuring the radio and I still haven't finished,

All the best,

My made up connector, all soldered and heat shrink sleeves.

Radio in the car and working fine. Choose a red back ground.
David
The following users liked this post:
SpeedyC2 (04-04-2023)
Old 04-29-2022, 02:49 PM
ShdwFx
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 158 Posts

Looks good installed! Glad you were able to figure out the wiring. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Blaupunkt after you've used it for a while.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:33 AM
decgraham
Track Day

Originally Posted by ShdwFx
Looks good installed! Glad you were able to figure out the wiring. Would be interested in hearing your thoughts on the Blaupunkt after you've used it for a while.
Hi,

It's been a while but to reply to your request I'm very happy with the unit and it just looks right in the car.

ATB

Quick Reply: Need help with Bremen SQR 46 install