Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the new 2020 Porsche Classic Radio (single din version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2020, 06:44 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool Installed the new 2020 Porsche Classic Radio (single din version)

Hello! I don't usually post much since everything is usually well covered in this forum but I noticed there weren't any posts about the latest Porsche Classic Radio or PCR (with Apple CarPlay). I installed it this weekend in my C2S, replacing the original stock CR210.

I don't think much has changed since the last version besides the screen and CarPlay support but here are a few things to note:
  • The piece of metal that came with the last PCR for magnetically mounting the GPS antenna is not included in this new version. It instead comes with a small amount of velcro which can be used for mounting the USB/AUX box and/or the GPS antenna. I ended up using 3M double sided tape for the antenna and I mounted it in the rear center of the shelf behind the seats (right under the text at the bottom center of the rear window). I believe the rear mounting location is much cleaner as you don't see it while driving and easier to install than the passenger side dash mounting I've seen where you have to go into engine bay and back through firewall.
  • You do not need any adapter for the Hifi (Nokia) system, it is plug and play. The instructions did however state that an adapter is needed for Blaupunkt systems.
  • If you have a CD changer, it (still) does not work with the PCR
  • I found the wires for the USB/AUX box to be too short for the location where I wanted to mount it (on the passenger side of the tunnel where there is a little door in the carpeting). I was not able to connect the wires behind the radio with the box in that location, so instead chose to sneak it up under the dash out of sight which I ended up preferring in the end as it looks more stock but YMMV. I've seen a lot of people mount the box under the ash tray on top of the center console and the wires will reach from that location, I just don't like the look and that it obstructs the ash tray (for storage not smoking )
  • The USB/AUX box is now shaped differently. It is now a square metal box, where as before it was plastic and had a more computer mouse like shape. Out in the open I think it looks better than the old version but I still chose to hide it.
  • CarPlay is awesome, but as you already know the screen is small. Apple CarPlay works flawlessly but it is not modified in any way for the tiny screen, it is a directly shrunk down version from what you would see on any other CarPlay vehicle (speaking from experience on my '18 Macan S)
  • I'm not sure if the previous version had this, but the new PCR has a way to adjust the depth of the faceplate via 3 screws on each side so you can get a perfectly flush installation in the dash
  • I ran all the wires without permanently mounting the mic/antenna/usb box and installed the radio before I stuck and zip tied everything down. As mentioned above, if I had mounted the usb box before trying to plug it into the back of the radio it would have been a pain
  • A trim tool or spudger is very useful for stuffing the small microphone and GPS antenna wires into various trim and carpeting areas
  • Don't forget to go into the settings to change the color of the backlighting on the buttons (so satisfying). You can choose between green/white/orange depending on your car

I've only taken one drive with the new kit but so far I'm very happy with the results, especially since I can use Spotify and Google Maps with CarPlay. I chose the cheaper PCR model that does not come with the maps SD card as Google Maps is free, always up to date and has the best traffic around (or Waze if that's your thing).

I hope this post will help someone out, feel free to ask me any questions you may have!

PCR in dash

Google Maps CarPlay

Spotify CarPlay

Carplay Home Screen

GPS antenna mounting location

Microphone mounting location (same as PCA video)

Last edited by Sh55; 07-21-2020 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Adding photos
Old 07-20-2020, 06:54 PM
nodnarb204
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

This is cool --> - I'm not sure if the previous version had this, but the new PCR has a way to adjust the depth of the faceplate via 3 screws on each side so you can get a perfectly flush installation in the dash

Very impressive. Can we put you on the road to go around and install everyone else's? That's the biggest hurdle I have to pulling the trigger. No way I can install, but finding someone who knows what they are doing for all the bits and pieces.

Old 07-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Originally Posted by nodnarb204
This is cool --> - I'm not sure if the previous version had this, but the new PCR has a way to adjust the depth of the faceplate via 3 screws on each side so you can get a perfectly flush installation in the dash

Very impressive. Can we put you on the road to go around and install everyone else's? That's the biggest hurdle I have to pulling the trigger. No way I can install, but finding someone who knows what they are doing for all the bits and pieces.
Honestly it's a really easy install, the bottom of the dash is wide open so it's super easy to get all the wires back there. The hardest part is probably getting the old radio out since it's been stuck in there so long. You have to really pull on the keys but be careful not to yank it out and hit the pull switches above it (it will rub). That said, if you're in the NYC area I can help.

On a related note, I forgot to mention that the new PCR still does not come with the radio keys required to remove the stock radio, you will need to source those separately.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:30 AM
4dRennwagen
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

Dash photos showing CarPlay in a 993? Then I’ll believe it ;-)
The following users liked this post:
Tarek307 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 02:49 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 324 Likes on 160 Posts

No photo, we don't believe you...haha
Old 07-21-2020, 04:58 AM
nk993
Racer

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Any issues with sound quality ? Several people including myself are having issues with hissing nosies from the speakers. The manufacturer (not Porsche) diagnosed a fault with the system itself and had to tell Porsche to replace it under warranty (Because Porsche initially said no, ****s).
Old 07-21-2020, 05:44 AM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Pic or it didn't happen!
Old 07-21-2020, 08:39 AM
stevensivak
Burning Brakes

Received 294 Likes on 181 Posts

GPS antennae in the back of the car? WTF?
I thought it would need an i-phone for GPS connectivity...

running wires to the back sounds miserable...
Old 07-21-2020, 12:53 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Originally Posted by nk993
Any issues with sound quality ? Several people including myself are having issues with hissing nosies from the speakers. The manufacturer (not Porsche) diagnosed a fault with the system itself and had to tell Porsche to replace it under warranty (Because Porsche initially said no, ****s).
No nothing yet, I tested out the radio and played Spotify for a while without issue. My car has the stock Hifi system, not sure if that matters. I'll update the thread if anything changes but so far so good.

Originally Posted by stevensivak
GPS antennae in the back of the car? WTF?
I thought it would need an i-phone for GPS connectivity...

running wires to the back sounds miserable...
Way easier than I thought it would be actually. The wire stuffs under the rear window gasket, then in between the seat back and wheel well trim, then under the door sill trim (skinny black pieces in my case as I have the steel trim with Carerra script) and then right up under the dash. You are correct on the GPS thing though, for CarPlay the iPhone is all that's needed but I wanted to install the antenna in case I ever want to buy the maps and use the Porsche GPS.

I'll take some installation pics today
Old 07-21-2020, 01:12 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Originally Posted by 4dRennwagen
Dash photos showing CarPlay in a 993? Then I’ll believe it ;-)
Originally Posted by Tarek307
No photo, we don't believe you...haha
Originally Posted by Railmaster.
Pic or it didn't happen!
Pictures added to initial post!
The following 2 users liked this post by Sh55:
4dRennwagen (10-07-2020), bhiscott (03-29-2021)
Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 PM
notabot
Pro

Received 147 Likes on 101 Posts

The mic placement is genius
Old 07-21-2020, 01:27 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Originally Posted by notabot
I wish I could say I thought of it. I stole the idea from this PCA video showing the install of the previous version of the PCR. Still a great video for reference if you're considering:
Old 07-21-2020, 04:37 PM
Railmaster.
Three Wheelin'

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Sh55
Pictures added to initial post!

Great! I bought the first version when it came in 2015, would like the new features but I stick with my old one!
Old 07-21-2020, 07:02 PM
ben5001
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by notabot
I have the older classic radio and ran my mic in this location. While it looks nice, the call quality on the other end at 65mph was atrocious and I always found myself yelling in order for the person on the end of the line to hear me.

I ended up relocating the mic close to the wheel clamshell between the tach and speedo, while it doesn't look as nice, the voice quality is noticeably better. Just my $.02 for anyone that frequently talks on the phone in the car.

Not sure if the updated radio has better noise cancellation or mic quality so that might affect it as well.
The following users liked this post:
Sh55 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 07:07 PM
993_540
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by ben5001
I have the older classic radio and ran my mic in this location. While it looks nice, the call quality on the other end at 65mph was atrocious and I always found myself yelling in order for the person on the end of the line to hear me.

I ended up relocating the mic close to the wheel clamshell between the tach and speedo, while it doesn't look as nice, the voice quality is noticeably better. Just my $.02 for anyone that frequently talks on the phone in the car.

Not sure if the updated radio has better noise cancellation or mic quality so that might affect it as well.
My Continental radio does just fine using built-in mike. I tested before I did final installation. Didn't use the provided wired mike. No issues talking while driving at speed on either end.
Would think the PCR will do even better!

dave
95 C2
03 540i6
84 380SL

Quick Reply: Installed the new 2020 Porsche Classic Radio (single din version)