Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed the new 2020 Porsche Classic Radio (single din version)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2020, 09:00 AM
pp000830
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,532 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Thanks for taking the time to post a thoughtful item on the subject.
Andy
Old 07-22-2020, 10:10 AM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

So I am Android, and refuse to change (refuse to be a sheep). Is there an adequate solution for Android users, or is this version of the PC radio with music streaming the best we will get?
Old 07-22-2020, 12:52 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Outstanding write up and insights. Thanks for posting!

Originally Posted by Domer911
So I am Android, and refuse to change (refuse to be a sheep).
I agree. But, after years of refusing Apple I got an Apple Phone and Apple watch as a birthday gift. They are outstanding. I still dislike Apple as a company and some of their policies but like their products.
Old 07-22-2020, 02:10 PM
Sh55
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Domer911
So I am Android, and refuse to change (refuse to be a sheep). Is there an adequate solution for Android users, or is this version of the PC radio with music streaming the best we will get?
Porsche Classic also announced a 2 din version that hasn't been released yet, but does support Android Auto. You could always buy a 996 instead of an iPhone if you really feel that passionate about it.

Information is here for those interested: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/2020...ars-20622.html
Old 07-22-2020, 08:06 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

OP,

Have you tested the blue tooth at speed yet with your mic mounting location? I have the PCR on order (hopefully be in this week) and I do use my bluetooth calling all the time and on the highway a lot. Would rather mount where you did but clear sounding calls are important to me.

thanks,

Old 07-23-2020, 11:17 AM
Jdubs
Track Day

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

OP great post, I also had the new PCCM recently installed in my 993, replacing the old aftermarket Alpine unit. However I’m not as familiar with the car so had the guys at Avis Autosport here in LA do it, they hooked the mic up in the exact same way, and the usb connection is in the glove box. I did not have the gps antenna installed as I didn’t get the Porsche nav. CarPlay is fine for me.

For the audio quality I think it’s excellent considering the age of the car, the pccm hooked up to the aftermarket Alpine 7 speaker system easily I’m told.

I’ve made a couple calls, via Bluetooth and using CarPlay. Both times the other side of the call said it was obvious I was in a car but didn’t have any issues hearing me.

Total cost with install (3hrs) was expensive, $1800, but I’m very happy with the unit, It’s my daily and I love being able to use Siri to control the phone and everything else CarPlay gives you. But If it was just a weekend car I probably wouldn’t have pulled the trigger, due to the cost. I do think it’s a shame the 1Din unit doesn’t work with android.
Old 07-23-2020, 05:10 PM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts

Thanks for the post. Just to confirm wireless CarPlay does not work with this right ?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:50 AM
Sh55
Track Day

Originally Posted by M Fig
OP,

Have you tested the blue tooth at speed yet with your mic mounting location? I have the PCR on order (hopefully be in this week) and I do use my bluetooth calling all the time and on the highway a lot. Would rather mount where you did but clear sounding calls are important to me.

thanks,
No, I haven't yet and I only talk on the phone when I'm driving if it's absolutely necessary, so phone call quality wasn't a big consideration for me. Looks like Jdubs above answers your question though. I will also note that the PCR has a built in mic in the head unit as well and I believe it uses both mics when on the phone (or you have the option of only using the mic on the head unit if you don't install the remote mic)

Originally Posted by LionelB
Thanks for the post. Just to confirm wireless CarPlay does not work with this right ?
Right, the PCR is unfortunately wired CarPlay only.
Old 10-05-2020, 11:31 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

I finally got mine today. Took only 5 months The car currently has an aftermarket JVC radio that also had some sort of CD charger in the frunk that is not here any more. My basic question is how much tinkering am I getting myself into if I try to install this on my own ? I am not planning to use the GPS antenna. From the PCA video the install seems fairly straightforward if you are coming from the stock radio but given that I am not ....
Old 10-05-2020, 11:43 AM
GTA6T7
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you are mechanically inclines you should not have any issues with the install. I did mine including the GPS antenna (under the dash) and the phone mike between the sun shades. I thought it was a fun project.
The following users liked this post:
Blue TTop (03-29-2021)
Old 10-05-2020, 04:58 PM
Sh55
Track Day

@LionelB The install is pretty easy, and I would recommend taking your time and routing everything before sticking/zip-tieing to make sure it all fits as you would like. Only issue that could make it difficult in your case is if the stock wiring was modified for the aftermarket stereo. Ideally you just have a clip in harness adapting the Porsche wiring to JVC, and you can easily unclip it. Otherwise you may have to rebuild the stock connections.

Last edited by Sh55; 10-05-2020 at 04:58 PM. Reason: forgot to tag response
Old 10-06-2020, 05:50 AM
LionelB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sh55
@LionelB The install is pretty easy, and I would recommend taking your time and routing everything before sticking/zip-tieing to make sure it all fits as you would like. Only issue that could make it difficult in your case is if the stock wiring was modified for the aftermarket stereo. Ideally you just have a clip in harness adapting the Porsche wiring to JVC, and you can easily unclip it. Otherwise you may have to rebuild the stock connections.
Right, this is the part that is unclear and won't be until the old one is removed. I think I will probably take this opportunity to change the speakers as well as the original ones in there do not really sound great.

The first challenge is actually to remove that old thing in there with no tools.
Old 10-11-2020, 04:23 AM
Cpack
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

I put the mic right in the middle of the dash.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cpack:
JAM2 (05-04-2021), Sh55 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-29-2021, 03:46 PM
Blue TTop
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 38 Posts

FWIW the Mediabox (USB/AUX) fits perfectly in the center console and the Ashtray is not blocked at all.

Ashtray opens fully and barely touches the carpet:

Last edited by Blue TTop; 03-29-2021 at 03:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Blue TTop:
LionelB (03-30-2021), Sh55 (03-29-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 04:16 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 129 Likes on 68 Posts

How is the bluetooth in these units? My current Alpine radio has bluetooth for phone but can't stream music.
I want to cut all the cords. Will the single din do that well?

Also, I have a subwoofer that can be controlled from the head unit separately from the bass. Will this head unit allow me to have that same functionality?

Quick Reply: Installed the new 2020 Porsche Classic Radio (single din version)