992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do You Do For A Living?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2024 | 06:37 PM
Vinscap
Intermediate

I sell building materials in the Caribbean. I have been a Porsche fan since I saw my first one at 11 (small town). Finally bought one (991.2 TTS) and now 2nd (992.1 GTS) in my early 50's. It's OK to want something for long enough that you can afford it!
Old 07-16-2024 | 06:37 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nyca
I would caution people reading this thread - don't retire too early, don't give up your career/salary too early. I retired at 58. With inflation and the cost of living being what it is now, I wonder sometimes if I will be driving my 911 to a fast food job a few years from now.

My only saving grace was that I took my pension as a lump sum (rollover) and have been able to invest it and have done OK with those investments. But friends of mine who retired with a defined benefit are kicking themselves now, because at the rate things are going, 5-7 years from now their monthly pension will just about cover a new car payment. Don't underestimate the amount of money you will need in retirement, given these inflationary times.
I agree with this, I also think that retirement kills people as well. ( If you're only sitting home all day or only going out once a week) People need a purpose.
The following 3 users liked this post by Shuga:
Nein Eleven (07-17-2024), Schwarz992C4S (07-17-2024), Vinscap (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:00 PM
jstap808
Racer

Originally Posted by Vinscap
I sell building materials in the Caribbean. I have been a Porsche fan since I saw my first one at 11 (small town). Finally bought one (991.2 TTS) and now 2nd (992.1 GTS) in my early 50's. It's OK to want something for long enough that you can afford it!
Very interesting, this is certainly a job that is always in need given the resort/weather implications. Being in Florida do you take a boat or puddle jumper to your sites in the Caribbean?
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:05 PM
jstap808
Racer

Originally Posted by nyca
I would caution people reading this thread - don't retire too early, don't give up your career/salary too early. I retired at 58. With inflation and the cost of living being what it is now, I wonder sometimes if I will be driving my 911 to a fast food job a few years from now.

My only saving grace was that I took my pension as a lump sum (rollover) and have been able to invest it and have done OK with those investments. But friends of mine who retired with a defined benefit are kicking themselves now, because at the rate things are going, 5-7 years from now their monthly pension will just about cover a new car payment. Don't underestimate the amount of money you will need in retirement, given these inflationary times.
this is a good point to call out. its truly a shame that retirement continues to become a more impossible task for many. i always put money away (401k, personal investments, savings) before I even think about hobbies and the unnecessaries. its not a political party that has caused this but rather greedy corporations that continue to limit wage growth while pocketing most of the earnings, leaving nothing for your average worker. im all for capitalism but theres gotta be a better balance because having a significant portion of the population working paycheck to paycheck or not able to afford basic necessities at all wont bode well for those at the top when they are hungry...
The following 2 users liked this post by jstap808:
division (07-17-2024), Schwarz992C4S (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:07 PM
jstap808
Racer

Originally Posted by Shuga
I agree with this, I also think that retirement kills people as well. ( If you're only sitting home all day or only going out once a week) People need a purpose.
agree 100% which is why people need to take up reasonable and financially responsible hobbies during their life and not dedicate 100% of it towards the job. I know too many folks who were all work and no play and dont know what to do with themselves now that they are retired. we need a better balance, you can be successful and enjoy your life too, if only more workers would force that change at your average corporation
The following users liked this post:
Master Deep (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:13 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jstap808
this is a good point to call out. its truly a shame that retirement continues to become a more impossible task for many. i always put money away (401k, personal investments, savings) before I even think about hobbies and the unnecessaries. its not a political party that has caused this but rather greedy corporations that continue to limit wage growth while pocketing most of the earnings, leaving nothing for your average worker. im all for capitalism but theres gotta be a better balance because having a significant portion of the population working paycheck to paycheck or not able to afford basic necessities at all wont bode well for those at the top when they are hungry...
It's truly sad how some people work all their lives doing a job serving the people who work in the schools for an example. Not just the teachers that are tenured that scam the system.( Not all teachers do but there is vast majority that do) But the Para's, teacher aids, office workers, lunch staff etc. They get paid almost/ below the poverty line. They can barley make it working. How is it fair that when they retire they need to get a part time job and restart at the bottom just to make ends meet? It's not right. These are people who serve our country and help the next gen, but what do they get in return? Nothing... It's wrong.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shuga:
jstap808 (07-16-2024), ldamelio (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:14 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Opposite circumstance here. Enjoying every minute of retirement after 40 years of a soul and body crushing career.

Porsche ( on track and off), a bunch of health and fitness activities, travel, learning languages, reading a good book on the beach or by the campfire, plus just plain hanging out with family and friends and smelling the roses. Still not enough hours in the day but now it's all for me and my loved ones. And I had a meaningful career (trauma surgeon then C suite health care exec).

Too many people spend too much time in some career for some self- imagined 'purpose' and are forgotten the moment they reluctantly retire to just sit on the couch and wait to die. The kids are right - YOLO.

Last edited by ldamelio; 07-17-2024 at 07:50 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ldamelio:
jstap808 (07-16-2024), Master Deep (07-17-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:14 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Not the average 911 owner here. I came out of retirement about 12 years ago to help my son open his business. Always self-employed in a host of industries except for the Vietnam USMC days. I have enjoyed great success & endured many failures along the way, and give thanks each morning I open the eyes. Still active, mostly in tax consultation and prep.
Long story, short version, I live in a portion of the office with SS fixed income. Always managed a P-car along the way until the home stretch. My son completely understands the passion & with his assistance, the black 991 4S will take me to the finish line. Health permitting, try do a solo, summer road trip, usually 8K + miles. Just returned, with a few VA ER visits along the way, it was one of the best!
I am one blessed 911 jockey.
The following 7 users liked this post by rwbern:
CoastalCasual (07-17-2024), Dezeinstein (07-17-2024), FC356 (07-21-2024), jstap808 (07-16-2024), ldamelio (07-16-2024), Nein Eleven (07-17-2024), Old Ranger (07-16-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:34 PM
Hunky
Pro

^^^^^^^Great stuff, good for you Man, ENJOY!
Old 07-16-2024 | 09:13 PM
jstap808
Racer

It's truly sad how some people work all their lives doing a job serving the people who work in the schools for an example. Not just the teachers that are tenured that scam the system.( Not all teachers do but there is vast majority that do) But the Para's, teacher aids, office workers, lunch staff etc. They get paid almost/ below the poverty line. They can barely make it working. How is it fair that when they retire they need to get a part time job and restart at the bottom just to make ends meet? It's not right. These are people who serve our country and help the next gen, but what do they get in return? Nothing... It's wrong.
Selfishness will be our downfall. If you can help a fellow man without significant detriment to your own lifestyle then do it. Instead we’ve got clowns spending 50B on a useless social media platform instead of helping make a meaningful difference to thousands in need. Guess we gotta enjoy the Porsche while we can before we wake up from this dream. Vroom vroom
Old 07-16-2024 | 11:20 PM
samsnc
Advanced

Video game development
CoastalCasual (07-17-2024)
Old 07-17-2024 | 12:44 AM
jstap808
Racer

Originally Posted by samsnc
Video game development
please tell me you are working on a new ghost recon/splinter cell/socom us navy seal series
Old 07-17-2024 | 01:10 AM
Vinscap
Intermediate

Very interesting, this is certainly a job that is always in need given the resort/weather implications. Being in Florida do you take a boat or puddle jumper to your sites in the Caribbean?
Most of my business travel is between Miami and St Thomas, US Virgin Islands. American has multiple 2-1/2 hour direct flights daily.
Old 07-17-2024 | 03:08 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ldamelio
Opposite circumstance here. Enjoying every minute of retirement after 40 years of a soul and body crushing career.

Porsche ( on track and off), a bunch of health and fitness activities, travel, learning languages, reading a good book on the beach or by the campfire, plus just plain hanging out with family and friends and smelling the roses. Still not enough hours in the day but now it's all for me and my loved ones. And I had a meaningful career (trauma surgeon then C suite health care exec).

Too many people spend too much time in some career for some self- imagined 'purpose' and are forgotten the moment they reluctantly retire to just sit on the couch and wait to die. The kids are right - YOLO.
But I think that's the difference though, I'm assuming you have the means to live freely and live like "yolo". For the average person, they may not be able to live as "freely".

Life is weird some die at 25 but don't pass away until they're 70. Others die young but live a 90 sometime years of experience is such a short time. What's the lesson here? Live every day like it's your last, take every shot you can, don't look back.
ldamelio (07-18-2024)
Old 07-17-2024 | 03:13 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Selfishness will be our downfall. If you can help a fellow man without significant detriment to your own lifestyle then do it. Instead we’ve got clowns spending 50B on a useless social media platform instead of helping make a meaningful difference to thousands in need. Guess we gotta enjoy the Porsche while we can before we wake up from this dream. Vroom vroom
Social media is a downfall of the world, it gives people a false sense of others reality. Even Drake once said in his songs
"I know a girl whose one goal was to visit Rome
Then she finally got to Rome
And all she did was post pictures for people at home
‘Cause all that mattered was impressin’ everybody she’s known
I know another girl that’s cryin’ out for help
But her latest caption is “Leave me alone”
I know a girl happily married ’til she puts down her phone
I know a girl that saves pictures from places she’s flown
To post later and make it look like she still on the go
Look at the way we live"

I do know a girl who posts photos on her story of places she's been meanwhile she's at home. It's a weird world we're living in. But I agree, help others if you can, do good and maybe we'll get to enjoy our Porsche's a little extra.
The following 2 users liked this post by Shuga:
DrKarlB (07-17-2024), ldamelio (07-18-2024)

Quick Reply: What Do You Do For A Living?