Replace with Lucid Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2024, 11:32 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche992
. There are more Tesla superchargers than gas stations in many parts of the world already and only growning.
Originally Posted by adrianp89
Source?
https://changediscussion.com/more-ch...-gas-stations/

SOURCE: https://changediscussion.com/more-ch...-gas-stations/
Old 07-29-2024, 11:35 AM
992gts
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
"In many parts of the world", indeed. Call BS on that one.
I wonder what % of EVs on a daily basis need a charger outside of home charging. I have charged twice away from home and that was really to just test out options for when I need to. Not that many people drive 200+ miles a day and if they do a Hybrid is a better option anyway
Old 07-29-2024, 11:38 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

There ultimately will have to be many more "charging points" for EVs as it takes profoundly longer to recharge than to refuel.
The following users liked this post:
Butzi (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 11:42 AM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by 992gts
I wonder what % of EVs on a daily basis need a charger outside of home charging. I have charged twice away from home and that was really to just test out options for when I need to. Not that many people drive 200+ miles a day and if they do a Hybrid is a better option anyway
What % of the world has a secure garage with all the required electrical gear to "recahrge" at home.
A great deal of the smoke and mirrors surrounding EV ownership makes the assumption that everyone has this home charging. That misconception is wildly deviant from reality.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:43 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,776 Likes on 5,141 Posts

There ultimately will have to be many more "charging points" for EVs as it takes profoundly longer to recharge than to refuel.
Please feel free to stop moving the goal post.
Old 07-29-2024, 11:56 AM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 435 Likes on 199 Posts

This is an absurd comparison... Comparing gas stations with 4-12+ pumps vs a single charge station.

My fault for not reading the details on original post.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:03 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

See, you miss the point entirely on this topic. You're using the ICE fueling paradigm, totally different to the EV world. In a pure ICE vehicle you run the tank down low then fill up to the top, because the reality is to fill it up you need to visit one of those purpose built facilities we call gas stations. Which I grant you currently exist in large numbers, built over 100+ years, but they and the supporting network of refining, distributing, and retailing gasoline only exist for that one purpose (and to be clear, I am am not talking about non-gasoline use of oils here although 45% of all oil extracted from the ground is used for gasoline so a large part of the total oil industry exists for this sole purpose).

By contrast with an EV you top up as necessary, basically anywhere that has electricity and a suitable connection. Electricity in the form needed for EV's is everywhere, you don't need a dedicated facility other than in a minority of cases, and you don't wait till the 'tank is empty'. Nor do you fill up each time, you only top up to 80% or so. With regard to when you do need to use public stations, Tesla has proven that this indeed works and is commercially viable, regardless of subsidies or incentives.

Last edited by aggie57; 07-29-2024 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 12:17 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 592 Posts

but with no gas stations around , where are we going to buy our snacks so we can keep ozempicZepbound sales going
need to start building convenient stores with EV stations , then EV car sales will soar
we can snack while waiting
The following 2 users liked this post by pitt911:
Gary12000 (07-29-2024), Hunky (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 12:18 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Agree

My fill-ups are 3 minutes max and once every 3 weeks. Try that with your EV and please don't promote the notion that everyone has "home charging", far from it.
my wife and i were discussing an EV potential at some point in the future probably within retirement, we are in a condo in Florida, your point is exactly the conclusion we came too, take Florida as an example, lots of homes built within the early part of the last century, and or multi family dwellings with parking not inside a garage and not necessarily adjacent to their electric meter...you could just as easily pick any city with high rise or underground or detached parking.
one of our neighbors happens to have a Tesla, he paid for his own separate meter, but he fortunately had the spot under cover and closest to his own supply meter there are only 3 spots like that at our condo building.

In our small town many people have street parking as the homes are older and have at best a single tiny garage or just a driveway, or it is a duplex or 4 plex where a house has been split into 4 apartments... of course everything is possible all it takes is "Time, Effort and Money" ... this is an aside from the lack of actual supply from the grid,

so what that means is none of those types of buyers can charge at home, so they have to pay "Retail" for their charging.. that changes the use case and the cost of ownership... many of these folks who live in multi family dwellings are not wealthy snowbirds as the rest of the USA thinks of as Florida natives but are working folks who value every dollar they have to earn... this is all part of the fallacy of the conversion to EV's and mandates for such..

Hunky (07-29-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 04:34 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pitt911
we can snack while waiting
80% of EV owners already do that. It's called dinner. At home.

Last edited by aggie57; 07-29-2024 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2024, 04:42 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary12000
my wife and i were discussing an EV potential at some point in the future probably within retirement, we are in a condo in Florida, your point is exactly the conclusion we came too, take Florida as an example, lots of homes built within the early part of the last century, and or multi family dwellings with parking not inside a garage and not necessarily adjacent to their electric meter...you could just as easily pick any city with high rise or underground or detached parking.
one of our neighbors happens to have a Tesla, he paid for his own separate meter, but he fortunately had the spot under cover and closest to his own supply meter there are only 3 spots like that at our condo building.

In our small town many people have street parking as the homes are older and have at best a single tiny garage or just a driveway, or it is a duplex or 4 plex where a house has been split into 4 apartments... of course everything is possible all it takes is "Time, Effort and Money" ... this is an aside from the lack of actual supply from the grid,

so what that means is none of those types of buyers can charge at home, so they have to pay "Retail" for their charging.. that changes the use case and the cost of ownership... many of these folks who live in multi family dwellings are not wealthy snowbirds as the rest of the USA thinks of as Florida natives but are working folks who value every dollar they have to earn... this is all part of the fallacy of the conversion to EV's and mandates for such..
I rented an EV in Orlando this June and from what I saw absolutely agree that the non-Tesla public charging infrastructure in Florida, at least around Orlando, sucks. I tried to find a charger on the east side of the city, just out of interest not because I absolutely needed it, and the only one I tried had a couple of stalls that were u/s and a line of 3-4 people waiting. Right next to it was a row of 10+ Tesla superchargers with nobody using any of them. Go figure.

But again, nobody is mandating EV's. Even post 2035 the most aggressive EV adoption legislation allows PHEV's to be sold new, and no requirement for existing ICE or non-PHEV hybrids to be retired.
Gary12000 (07-30-2024)
Old 07-29-2024, 07:39 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
I rented an EV in Orlando this June and from what I saw absolutely agree that the non-Tesla public charging infrastructure in Florida, at least around Orlando, sucks. I tried to find a charger on the east side of the city, just out of interest not because I absolutely needed it, and the only one I tried had a couple of stalls that were u/s and a line of 3-4 people waiting. Right next to it was a row of 10+ Tesla superchargers with nobody using any of them. Go figure.

But again, nobody is mandating EV's. Even post 2035 the most aggressive EV adoption legislation allows PHEV's to be sold new, and no requirement for existing ICE or non-PHEV hybrids to be retired.
Wow, really? No forced retirement of existing ICE vehicles. That sure is good to know. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Could you imagine the EPA pencil necks sending storm troopers on a mission in a place like Texas to collect and retire privately 0wned F-250s, Suburbans, Escalades, etc that cost over 6 figures? How do you think that would go? Probably not well.
Old 07-29-2024, 07:59 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Wow, really? No forced retirement of existing ICE vehicles. That sure is good to know. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. Could you imagine the EPA pencil necks sending storm troopers on a mission in a place like Texas to collect and retire privately 0wned F-250s, Suburbans, Escalades, etc that cost over 6 figures? How do you think that would go? Probably not well.
Why did you laugh out loud?
Old 07-29-2024, 08:11 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 74 Posts

**** Breaking News *****
Florida Man struggles with comprehending the following sentence.... "no requirement for existing ICE or non-PHEV hybrids to be retired"
Old 07-29-2024, 08:22 PM
Hunky
Racer

Pure entertainment Man. So pleased to know that our ICE vehicles are NOT going to be confiscated.

Last edited by Hunky; 07-29-2024 at 08:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Replace with Lucid Grand Touring