Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace with Lucid Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2024, 09:32 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,842 Likes on 1,494 Posts

If you're road tripping then study and be sure you're comfortable with doing that in a non-Tesla. Plenty of people do, and with no concerns, but just be aware charging stations aren't (yet) on every 2nd street corner and often they aren't maintained as well as they should be.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:00 PM
Fishah
Burning Brakes

Received 1,319 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I'm lucky I suppose, in that I have my C2S and I have a BMW i4 as my daily. No leasing as I don't have a business to write it off against, but if I did, that's probably the route I'd take for an EV given the credits available at the moment. FWIW, I really like this BMW i4. I've driven Tesla's extensively and we had a KIA EV6 for a bit over a year. I'd not go back to either of them on a purchase or a lease. The KIA is very well engineered and technically it performed flawlessly for us. But while KIA spent a lot of money (it shows) on the EV system and its Drive Train, the interior is clearly where they saved money. So what you're always looking at looks like the interior of the absolutely cheapest car, pick your brand, that ever was. The Lucid intrigues me, but while most of the reviews are extremely positive, there have been a few that seem like, when there's a problem, YOU now have a problem and getting resolution may be problematical.
My wife drives a BMW X5 Hybrid. It legitimately goes 30+ miles on a charge. Since almost all of her driving is less than 30 miles in a day, it's very rare that it needs to see a gas station. It recharges at home on a Level 2 Charger after midnight and it's good to go every morning. It's very comfortable and it's been 100% reliable. The few times we've needed to go on a long trip, it's the car we take. If we had to survive, on just one of our cars, that'd probably be what we'd keep.
​​​​​​Yea we've got an i4 too. Solid car!
The following users liked this post:
Bluehighways (06-19-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 10:18 PM
Harbortime
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
Currently have had my C2 for a few years now and thinking of making the switch to EV. Drove the Lucid, Taycan, and Tesla Model S. Currently leaning towards the Lucid or the Model S Plaid and wanted to get everyone’s thoughts. Is this the right choice or should I hold onto the 992 C2?
I was an actual owner of two Plaids. I bought my first in 21 brand new. I sold it for a 992 C2S that had 2k miles on it. A year later I traded the C2S in for another Plaid. I sold THAT Plaid for a 2nd Gen Audi R8. I ended up selling the R8 after almost two years of ownership for my current 992 C4S. The lesson I learned through all this is to keep the C2 and buy the EV as a daily. You probably won't be happy with either as an only car. You need both. I was unhappy with just an EV and no sports car. I want to buy another Plaid and trade my C4S in for a 720S in a couple years.

Also, NEVER listen to people that haven't actually owned an EV.
Never listen to anyone that hasn't owned the exact car you are looking at.
Bunch or haters and know it all's out there. Especially on this group lately.

Last edited by Harbortime; 06-17-2024 at 10:20 PM.
The following 6 users liked this post by Harbortime:
adrianp89 (06-18-2024), aggie57 (06-17-2024), HOTCHKIS (06-18-2024), hrpfg2 (06-18-2024), russdc (06-19-2024), TurboJake (06-18-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-17-2024, 10:33 PM
Just J
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 174 Posts

Taycan if you don't care about range and will never road trip it. Lucid if range matters but road trips will be rare. If road trips are a regular thing, then Tesla is the only brand that's tolerable at the moment.
Old 06-17-2024, 10:49 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

Buy an inexpensive used EV and keep the 911. You'll have a great daily driver and you can keep the 911 for special outings and fun.
People need to stop trying to have one car do it all. It's more fun to have choices.

There's not nearly as much differentiation between EV experiences as there are with gas powered cars. The cheap one rides just as smoothly and luxuriously as an expensive one.

I would not, under any circumstance, buy a Tesla, because they are smoking hot garbage. With the supercharger network opened up in the US, there's no reason to put up with automatic wipers that don't work, automatic high beams that don't work, and cheap *** interior bits. Tesla's are very poorly built with indefensible quality issues. There are much better options out there.

I also would not consider a Lucid. I've encountered so many Lucid owners with charging frustrations. I have witnessed Lucid cars just not being able to charge at stations working for other cars. The real world charging speed performance is nowhere near the "ringers" that they give the press. There's some brilliant engineering in the cars, but they're clearly newbies when it comes to manufacturing at scale. Pass.

I've owned a Taycan and loved it, but I actually prefer my F150 Lightning over the Taycan. I know, it sounds insane until you actually live with these things. A pickup truck and a 911 are a nice combination.

There is one caveat with EV ownership and it's not the roadtripping stuff (btw, you most certainly can roadtrip in an EV and in 2024, it's not even novel). The caveat? An EV only makes sense if you are able to charge at home. If you can't have a Level 2 charger at home, you lose much of your running cost advantages and it suddenly becomes a whole lot less convenient.
The following 3 users liked this post by detansinn:
dg108 (06-18-2024), russdc (06-19-2024), txpackers (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 12:04 PM
Racer

Received 207 Likes on 94 Posts

My 2 cents worth: between the 3 cars:-
- I would buy the Tesla,
-lease the Lucid. They have great lease rates, the last time I checked it was $650/month for 24 months
-The best driving car of the three is the Taycan. They did a really nice job

If this is your only car stick with the C2. If it is second daily go with the electric. I love my Model Y for a daily. All I need is a good radio, autopilot, and moderate comfort since I am stuck going 30-40mph in Atlanta traffic. Weekends are for pure driving fun- RS, 458 or motorcycle
Old 06-18-2024, 12:09 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,542 Likes on 5,065 Posts

Originally Posted by 2020
My 2 cents worth: between the 3 cars:-
- I would buy the Tesla,
-lease the Lucid. They have great lease rates, the last time I checked it was $650/month for 24 months
-The best driving car of the three is the Taycan. They did a really nice job

If this is your only car stick with the C2. If it is second daily go with the electric. I love my Model Y for a daily. All I need is a good radio, autopilot, and moderate comfort since I am stuck going 30-40mph in Atlanta traffic. Weekends are for pure driving fun- RS, 458 or motorcycle
To me, the Lucid drives better than the Taycan.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:12 PM
fanboy
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 22 Posts

The comment about replacing a 2-door coupe with a 4-door sedan is insightful. Visualize yourself in a couple of years: Is a sedan what you want? Resale is horrible on EVs, but if you lease, that's less of an issue (although it drives down the residual value). If I had to choose, I'd pick the Taycan. Tesla fit and finish are all over the place, and I have no direct experience with the Lucid outside of MKBHD's recommendation of the Sapphire.

I can understand wanting a change from what you've been driving; I do that all the time.
Old 06-18-2024, 12:39 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,070 Likes on 444 Posts

Plot twist: OP is Peter Rawlinson
Old 06-18-2024, 12:41 PM
js1ngh13
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbortime
I was an actual owner of two Plaids. I bought my first in 21 brand new. I sold it for a 992 C2S that had 2k miles on it. A year later I traded the C2S in for another Plaid. I sold THAT Plaid for a 2nd Gen Audi R8. I ended up selling the R8 after almost two years of ownership for my current 992 C4S. The lesson I learned through all this is to keep the C2 and buy the EV as a daily. You probably won't be happy with either as an only car. You need both. I was unhappy with just an EV and no sports car. I want to buy another Plaid and trade my C4S in for a 720S in a couple years.

Also, NEVER listen to people that haven't actually owned an EV.
Never listen to anyone that hasn't owned the exact car you are looking at.
Bunch or haters and know it all's out there. Especially on this group lately.

off topic but how do you compare the R8 to the C4S, before I pulled the trigger my options were either a 2018 R8 V10 or a 992 C4S - went with the 992 C4S that should be here soon.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:21 PM
asuresh8
Intermediate

Received 27 Likes on 11 Posts

I daily a Model S long range and keep the 911 as a weekend car. I would not go for the plaid unless you are a regular at the drag strip. The long range will spin all 4 tires if you floor it.
dg108 (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:06 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 150 Posts

You get bored too easily.
M3Inline6 (06-30-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 11:35 AM
RatherJaded
Rennlist Member

Received 1,585 Likes on 897 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
You get bored too easily.

Speaking of… I have noticed for the past three plus years that seems to be a very common theme amongst Porsche owners. Excluding most Porsche Classic owners.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:39 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

EVs are the larger version of smart phones. Expensive new, depreciate like rocks.
Old 06-19-2024, 11:57 AM
bluelines1974
Rennlist Member

Received 402 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by TUD
Speaking of… I have noticed for the past three plus years that seems to be a very common theme amongst Porsche owners. Excluding most Porsche Classic owners.
That is a feature not a bug of Porsche ownership. So many abilities to customize, so many nuances within each model, that you are guaranteed never to be quite satisfied with what you have, and always thinking about the hunt for the next one.

Quick Reply: Replace with Lucid Grand Touring