Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replace with Lucid Grand Touring

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 07:37 PM
Brad Stinson
Instructor

Received 150 Likes on 65 Posts

M3’s start at $75K. A good bargain indeed. If Porsche made an M3 competitor it would be 2x and the price, and no longer a competitor :-)
Old 07-27-2024, 12:48 AM
r4mi5awi
Advanced

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by fluid15
I remember seeing a rendering of a 'Concept GT Porsche' about 15 yrs ago in Car & Driver or Road & Track and really wishing they'd build it. It was a 4-door that looked sort of like better style/interpretation of a Panamera and may have been somewhat or a precursor to it. I wish Porsche made an M3-competitor at relatively the same size - something slightly smaller than a Taycan/M5 with true luxury/performance.
That car already exists in the VAG. It's the RS5 coupe/sport-back. Uses the 2.9 litre V6 in the Macan GTS/turbo and Cayenne models. ​​​​​Porsche's version would likely be just a re-skin ala Audi GT vs Taycan or Q5 vs Macan. I suppose the business case wasn't sound enough to pursue.

Last edited by r4mi5awi; 07-27-2024 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-27-2024, 01:34 AM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Received 589 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by voyagez.fr
Thanks everyone for all your inputs. After much consideration I have decided to keep the C2.
I'd suggest getting a cheap used EV as the daily beater. You can get a Nissan Leaf for like $14k. It's nearly free in Porsche options cost terms. Or if you want something more fun, a Mini Cooper E which is like an oversized kart. That thing is fun to toss around. Then save your 911 for real drives where it can be unleashed instead of stuck in the cage of everyday driving.
Old 07-27-2024, 08:20 AM
txpackers
Racer

Received 302 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I'd suggest getting a cheap used EV as the daily beater. You can get a Nissan Leaf for like $14k. It's nearly free in Porsche options cost terms. Or if you want something more fun, a Mini Cooper E which is like an oversized kart. That thing is fun to toss around. Then save your 911 for real drives where it can be unleashed instead of stuck in the cage of everyday driving.
So true. We have a Mini Cooper SE and it’s a blast to drive. Range is only 114 miles, but we use it just for errands and going places in the San Diego area. It’s perfect for how we use it. Plus we charge at home off solar. Service on it is every 2 years. Just had the first complimentary service completed. Other than annual registration, it hasn’t cost us anything.

I don’t see ever owning another EV though. This one is perfect for how we use it, but no way I want all EVs. A perfect garage is a small EV like this, the 911 (manual), Tacoma (manual), and of course motorcycle for my wife.
Old 07-27-2024, 08:30 AM
dg108
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I daily a Ford Lightning ER. We use it a lot for local trips and really enjoy it. Very quick and great range but if we are traveling any real distance we have a few other vehicle options. I think EV's have their place but would never have a stable of only EV's.
The following 2 users liked this post by dg108:
Hunky (07-27-2024), txpackers (07-27-2024)
Old 07-27-2024, 12:42 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dg108
I daily a Ford Lightning ER. We use it a lot for local trips and really enjoy it. Very quick and great range but if we are traveling any real distance we have a few other vehicle options. I think EV's have their place but would never have a stable of only EV's.
I would add two caveats to your 'never' statement. 1. I'm always keeping a gas manual car for my fun/track car 2. All EV garage for everyday/road trip cars will become viable in the future as charging infrastructure improves. But it's not there yet for the vast majority of people including me. But I love my Polestar2 as the DD. My wife and I do about 1000 miles a month on it. The gas cars see about... maybe 100 miles a month on average, not counting track days.
Old 07-28-2024, 09:47 AM
Hunky
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 133 Posts

EVs would likely work well for us as we don't put many miles on our vehicles at all. Unfortunately we have no charging accomodations in our high rise condo building. I would be willing to guess that near half this country would have a similar lack of reasonable charging capability living in apartments, urban row houses, older homes with no garages etc.
I'll stick with my 4 minute fill-ups once every 3-4 weeks for now and will likely continue on that path of least resistance for many years if not my duration.
EV recharging seems to work for some folks who can pull into a secure garage where they have a 220 line along with the various charging contraptions installed and are certain they will not need to drive more than the battery limits without searching for a plug while in unfamiliar territory or running out of "charge" altogether.

Last edited by Hunky; 07-28-2024 at 09:49 AM.
Old 07-28-2024, 12:22 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,876 Likes on 1,516 Posts

Originally Posted by Hunky
EVs would likely work well for us as we don't put many miles on our vehicles at all. Unfortunately we have no charging accomodations in our high rise condo building. I would be willing to guess that near half this country would have a similar lack of reasonable charging capability living in apartments, urban row houses, older homes with no garages etc.
I'll stick with my 4 minute fill-ups once every 3-4 weeks for now and will likely continue on that path of least resistance for many years if not my duration.
EV recharging seems to work for some folks who can pull into a secure garage where they have a 220 line along with the various charging contraptions installed and are certain they will not need to drive more than the battery limits without searching for a plug while in unfamiliar territory or running out of "charge" altogether.
You make a very good point, the pubic charging infrastructure in the US is a long way from being acceptable. It needs the same sort of investment that has been put into the public gasoline distribution network, which took many years to build.
Old 07-28-2024, 02:40 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,775 Likes on 5,140 Posts

Originally Posted by aggie57
You make a very good point, the pubic charging infrastructure in the US is a long way from being acceptable. It needs the same sort of investment that has been put into the public gasoline distribution network, which took many years to build.
According to estimates, in less than a decade there will be more charging stations than dinosaur juice depots.

https://insideevs.com/news/727547/mo...tions-us-2032/
Old 07-28-2024, 03:49 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by ipse dixit
According to estimates, in less than a decade there will be more charging stations than dinosaur juice depots.

https://insideevs.com/news/727547/mo...tions-us-2032/
Expected since it takes 10x-100x as long to "recharge" as it does to refuel a gas powered vehicle. We will need many more charging stations even when there are far fewer EVs.
Old 07-28-2024, 04:13 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Expected since it takes 10x-100x as long to "recharge" as it does to refuel a gas powered vehicle. We will need many more charging stations even when there are far fewer EVs.
Not at all; only 20% of EV charging depends on the public infrastructure, 80% of charging is at home. Try that with dinosaur juice. Plus EV charging rates are getting better all the time, a current Ionic 6 for example can go from 10-80% in less than 20 minutes.

Last edited by aggie57; 07-28-2024 at 04:15 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 06:13 PM
Hunky
Racer

Originally Posted by aggie57
Not at all; only 20% of EV charging depends on the public infrastructure, 80% of charging is at home. Try that with dinosaur juice. Plus EV charging rates are getting better all the time, a current Ionic 6 for example can go from 10-80% in less than 20 minutes.
My fill-ups are 3 minutes max and once every 3 weeks. Try that with your EV and please don't promote the notion that everyone has "home charging", far from it.

Last edited by Hunky; 07-28-2024 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-28-2024, 06:19 PM
spdracerut
Three Wheelin'

My fill-ups are 3 minutes max and once every 3 weeks. Try that with your EV and please don't promote the notion that everyone has "home charging", far from it.
I charge at home. Or better yet, free charging at work. Try that in your gas car.

Everyone has different use cases. You need to tow big loads long distances? Get a diesel dually truck. But don't try driving that in downtown LA or around Santa Monica as it won't fit in any parking anywhere.
Old 07-28-2024, 06:50 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Plus the time to travel to and from the gas station. My 'fill-ups' take 0 minutes and I never need to travel anywhere to do it.

Of course not everyone has 'home charging'. Over 80% of charging currently does take place at home, but it's fair to say that number will likely drop as adoption extends more into apartment owners and lower income groups.

Old 07-28-2024, 06:52 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spdracerut
I charge at home. Or better yet, free charging at work. Try that in your gas car.

Everyone has different use cases. You need to tow big loads long distances? Get a diesel dually truck. But don't try driving that in downtown LA or around Santa Monica as it won't fit in any parking anywhere.
I had a small SUV rental in Paris a couple of months ago - that was crazy difficult to get into public parking spaces!

Quick Reply: Replace with Lucid Grand Touring