Sponsored by:

MEngineering vs. Softronic Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2024, 02:07 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by freesole
Those of you who tuned, did you get your car fully inspected or serviced in any way prior to doing the business? I absolutely intend to tune but was wondering if I should get it in for a full checkup before doing so.
No but my car was 8 mos old and had less than 5k miles on it so it drove like new. If your car is several years old and has over 10k miles it wouldn’t hurt to have it checked out but find a reputable mechanic who tunes Porsches and let them know what you intend to do. You want to make sure the car has no leaks in the charge pipes, intercoolers, turbos, exhaust, cooling system, etc. and spark plugs are healthy. If you haven’t changed spark plugs get a new set and gap them down to the recommended amount. If your tires and brakes are worn out, take care of those issues b/c adding 100 hp with worn tires and brakes is not a good idea. Change the oil while you’re at it.
The following 2 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
2thHappy (06-13-2024), freesole (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 02:27 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

Originally Posted by Tobeit
did you not read the thread? OP never said he had issues with stock turbos. Also, did you actually read the TSB what it says? It seems you just regurgitate ME’s explanation about other tuners solution (total speculation) and their conclusion injectors are faulty because it can’t be their tune. C’mon.
No need to get upset about this. Yes I did. Apparently you didn’t read it very closely b/c OP actually said he had some slight stutter or misfires on the stock turbos that he could live with. But yeah, I read the whole thread. I find it odd that you would completely discount M Engineering’s explanation when they have tuned thousands of cars without issue and have dealt with and solved this issue for other customers who replaced their injectors.

Just sharing some info and pointing out misconceptions. For example, a car running fast does not mean it’s tuned properly. The leaner you run the A/F ratios the more power it will make but the greater the chance of detonation and blowing up the motor. I’m making no judgement about any tune. Just stating a basic fact about tuning and something that I think people should be aware of if they want to tune their cars.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:51 AM
dmia
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
I don't think he's trying to harm anyone. OP is stating the facts from his experience and viewpoint. No Malice or intent to harm. Personally, I think this is an exceptional post and very informative. Having been a business owner, COO, Engineer and VP of BD, I believe the seller should have been more open and understanding and in the end if the customer was not satisfied then refund the product. Their decision otherwise is Negative exposure that will cost them business. Why do I state this? I was actually looking to do a tune from them but have concluded to skip and go elsewhere.
Should have just refund the customer money. Having this type of bad publicity is not worth it to any business. I’m very hesitant to add a tune now. Might just get the M Coder for the exhaust mods. I’m hearing some people are starting to have problems w the PSE valve controller routes.
Old 06-13-2024, 05:03 AM
BarryC
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 43 Posts

Ok here’s my last post on this topic.

I was told by the dealer the TSB does not apply to my car and it did not show the injector fault addressed by the TSB.

On previous cars, I’ve used Cobb, Softronic and APR without issues.

I’ve been on this board for 20 years and my posts show I’ve owned and modified most of my cars without issues. Basically I’m experienced in this effort and can tell a good vendor from a bad one.

Scott at Softronic has been way more forthcoming, better customer support and more thorough than MEng.

Caveat emptor.
The following 6 users liked this post by BarryC:
cavemanmoore (06-13-2024), dg108 (06-13-2024), Icegrill (06-13-2024), rr_gts (06-13-2024), Scott P (06-13-2024), ZacapaXO (06-14-2024) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-13-2024, 08:57 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,442 Likes on 911 Posts

Originally Posted by M3Inline6
The cost of the plugs aren’t too cost prohibitive and could be done by the mechanically inclined. Reprogramming would likely be $250-500 based on other programming quotes sourced from various dealerships.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-992/...placement.html
I think you might be confusing spark plugs and fuel injectors. Spark plugs a doable DIY project as long as you have patience with two of them that are very hard to access because of the turbos. No programming necessary except maybe regapping them if running a tune. But I would not recommend replacing fuel injectors DIY for several reasons. The entire intake manifold must be removed. The high pressure fuel lines must be disconnected and reconnected. If you get this wrong, you are spraying 93 octane all over your you, your car and engine at 200psi. Hope you are not a smoker or nothing is sparking. Then the new piezo injectors need a new wiring harness and they must be programmed with a PIWIS. I am a big DIY guy but I would not replace my injectors…..hopefully have the dealer do it under warranty. If your car is under warranty and you get the P020X00 fault, take the TSB and drive immediately to the dealer.
Old 06-13-2024, 08:59 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,797 Likes on 971 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
I think you might be confusing spark plugs and fuel injectors. Spark plugs a doable DIY project as long as you have patience with two of them that are very hard to access because of the turbos. No programming necessary except maybe regapping them if running a tune. But I would not recommend replacing fuel injectors DIY for several reasons. The entire intake manifold must be removed. The high pressure fuel lines must be disconnected and reconnected. If you get this wrong, you are spraying 93 octane all over your you, your car and engine at 200psi. Hope you are not a smoker or nothing is sparking. Then the new piezo injectors need a new wiring harness and they must be programmed with a PIWIS. I am a big DIY guy but I would not replace my injectors…..hopefully have the dealer do it under warranty. If your car is under warranty and you get the P020X00 fault, take the TSB and drive immediately to the dealer.
My bad. I meant to link the fuel injector info I found. You make a good point about the fuel under pressure though.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-13-2024 at 09:00 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 10:23 AM
Jimmy-D
Race Director

Received 1,451 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Should have just refund the customer money. Having this type of bad publicity is not worth it to any business. I’m very hesitant to add a tune now. .
You think!!!
Schwarz992C4S (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:08 PM
division
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Harbortime
How much does it cost out of pocket to replace and reprogram the injectors? Seems like it would be $$....
There's a thread about a 2020 who needs injectors replaced and his dealer quoted $5k for it.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:17 PM
C21ban
Instructor

Received 250 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy-D
You think!!!
Exactly!

If that had been the case, than OP may have come out and posted that although the tune didn’t work out in his particular case, the companies involved were stand up folks and refunded his $$. The costs would have been minimal in the overall scheme of things.
Schwarz992C4S (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:16 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Should have just refund the customer money. Having this type of bad publicity is not worth it to any business. I’m very hesitant to add a tune now. Might just get the M Coder for the exhaust mods. I’m hearing some people are starting to have problems w the PSE valve controller routes.
Are you referring to the cargraphic controller?
Old 06-13-2024, 01:20 PM
freesole
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
No but my car was 8 mos old and had less than 5k miles on it so it drove like new. If your car is several years old and has over 10k miles it wouldn’t hurt to have it checked out but find a reputable mechanic who tunes Porsches and let them know what you intend to do. You want to make sure the car has no leaks in the charge pipes, intercoolers, turbos, exhaust, cooling system, etc. and spark plugs are healthy. If you haven’t changed spark plugs get a new set and gap them down to the recommended amount. If your tires and brakes are worn out, take care of those issues b/c adding 100 hp with worn tires and brakes is not a good idea. Change the oil while you’re at it.
Mine is only a few months old as well. Still in break in period so I'm not tuning just yet but was planning for the late summer. Getting a little down low grumble and rattle that sounds like the new engine mount issue being referenced in this forum so that leaves me wondering if I should get it checked out before tuning.
Old 06-13-2024, 02:19 PM
dg108
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
Are you referring to the cargraphic controller?
ME offers an option for contolling the exhaust and some other options like cold start without actually tuning the car. APR also offers an exhaust only tune with their Ultralink, just different options.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:27 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

My hypothesis: The OP has marginal or failing injectors, and the more aggressive ME 'high lambda' map is merely exacerbating that condition causing misfires. If I were a gambling man I'd bet the injectors may begin to 'act up' over time as they age, and even the Softronic tune might not be safe. YMMV.
Old 06-13-2024, 04:53 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 264 Likes on 116 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by C21ban
Exactly!

If that had been the case, than OP may have come out and posted that although the tune didn’t work out in his particular case, the companies involved were stand up folks and refunded his $$. The costs would have been minimal in the overall scheme of things.
Exactly!
Old 06-13-2024, 06:07 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

Why would he get a refund when he ran the tune for several months and didn't mention any issues to them until doing the turbos? You expect them to have a Walmart return policy?
BrianShaw23 (06-13-2024)

Quick Reply: MEngineering vs. Softronic Tune