Sponsored by:

MEngineering vs. Softronic Tune

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2024, 09:07 PM
Arione
Instructor

Received 73 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CM991
With what intend did you post this though? Your ego got hurt and you want to bad mouth a company. You can share your experiences, which is fair, and this was obviously a negative one and we can all learn from it.

But I like to encourage people to try to be kind. I don’t think there was an ill intent from their side. Share your frustrations but I see an intention to hurt their reputation which I don’t see the good in trying to do that.
Just say you are a shill bro, OP has good info, and clearly the tune was an issue.
The following users liked this post:
Crusje (06-12-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:22 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Delete

Last edited by Fullyield; 06-12-2024 at 09:23 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:28 PM
CM991
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
Just say you are a shill bro, OP has good info, and clearly the tune was an issue.
He is not trying to resolve anything. Just discredit. Don't see the point of threads like this and what the aim is if is not to harm and discredit a vendor? What's the angle?
Old 06-12-2024, 09:33 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,054 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
The 992 does have known injector issues in some cars which has been discussed repeatedly here on multiple threads involving multiple cars, some modded- some not. OP states that his car threw faults for misfires. If the fault code was P020X00, then OP could use the TSB to get all new injectors and wiring harness under warranty. But,…..since OP has both upgraded his turbos and installed a tune, Porsche may not honor the warranty. I understand OP’s reluctance to change out his turbos, again, to just get warranty coverage on the new injector replacement. I get it. So, it is the “Catch 22” that goes with modding your engine before the warranty expires. Jimmy D hit it on the head. But I do appreciate OP sharing his experience with us so we can all learn from it. Thank you BarryC. Best wishes.

I agree that it’s a catch-22. Modding definitely comes with its share of pros and cons.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-12-2024 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2024, 09:38 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 262 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Arione
Yeah lmao. I leave bad reviews if I'm not happy either. It's good to have other viewpoints and see other's experiences with a product as not everything is perfect. Guy expects this to be a safe space of circle jerky responses. Pretty useful thread for me if I ever wanted to tune and choose a company.
​​​​​

Last edited by Crusje; 06-12-2024 at 09:40 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Crusje:
Chalk992911S (09-06-2024), Schwarz992C4S (06-12-2024), silverscooby27 (06-12-2024), ZacapaXO (06-14-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:48 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,552 Likes on 964 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusje
Yeah lmao. I leave bad reviews if I'm not happy either. It's good to have other viewpoints and see other's experiences with a product as not everything is perfect. Guy expects this to be a safe space of circle jerky responses. Pretty useful thread for me if I ever wanted to tune and choose a company.
​​​​​
+ 1. I learned a hell of a lot about fuel injectors and tunes thanks to this thread.
The following 7 users liked this post by Fullyield:
2thHappy (06-13-2024), cavemanmoore (06-12-2024), Chalk992911S (09-06-2024), evosaurusx (06-13-2024), M3Inline6 (06-12-2024), silverscooby27 (06-12-2024), ZacapaXO (06-14-2024) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 06-12-2024, 09:51 PM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Fullyield
+ 1. I learned a hell of a lot about fuel injectors and tunes thanks to this thread.

….and received the downloadable TSB in the process.

The following 2 users liked this post by M3Inline6:
2thHappy (06-13-2024), Fullyield (06-13-2024)
Old 06-12-2024, 10:05 PM
Schwarz992C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 119 Posts

I don't think he's trying to harm anyone. OP is stating the facts from his experience and viewpoint. No Malice or intent to harm. Personally, I think this is an exceptional post and very informative. Having been a business owner, COO, Engineer and VP of BD, I believe the seller should have been more open and understanding and in the end if the customer was not satisfied then refund the product. Their decision otherwise is Negative exposure that will cost them business. Why do I state this? I was actually looking to do a tune from them but have concluded to skip and go elsewhere.
The following 5 users liked this post by Schwarz992C4S:
Chalk992911S (09-06-2024), dmia (06-13-2024), Honinspire02 (06-17-2024), vern1 (06-12-2024), ZacapaXO (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 12:03 AM
Harbortime
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

How much does it cost out of pocket to replace and reprogram the injectors? Seems like it would be $$....
Old 06-13-2024, 12:34 AM
M3Inline6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Harbortime
How much does it cost out of pocket to replace and reprogram the injectors? Seems like it would be $$....
The cost of the plugs aren’t too cost prohibitive and could be done by the mechanically inclined. Reprogramming would likely be $250-500 based on other programming quotes sourced from various dealerships.

https://rennlist.com/forums/diy-992/1367833-diy-guide-992-spark-plug-replacement.html

Last edited by M3Inline6; 06-13-2024 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2024, 12:37 AM
freesole
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 71 Posts

Those of you who tuned, did you get your car fully inspected or serviced in any way prior to doing the business? I absolutely intend to tune but was wondering if I should get it in for a full checkup before doing so.
Old 06-13-2024, 01:29 AM
aquanaut
Racer

Received 143 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by CM991
He is not trying to resolve anything. Just discredit. Don't see the point of threads like this and what the aim is if is not to harm and discredit a vendor? What's the angle?
What? He's providing plenty of detail. I'm happy with my M Engineering tune but he should be able to voice his issues, if he has them. Stop reading this thread if you don't like it.
The following 5 users liked this post by aquanaut:
cavemanmoore (06-13-2024), Chalk992911S (09-06-2024), Fullyield (06-13-2024), Schwarz992C4S (06-13-2024), ZacapaXO (06-14-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:48 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

I appreciate OP sharing his experience. There are a couple of things that I question though. First if the car was having some misfires with stock turbos and a tune I think it’s insane to install bigger turbos and expect the stock injectors would magically work fine with a revised tune on larger turbos that call for an even greater injector duty cycle. I would have 100% sorted out the misfire/injector issue first before installing GTS turbos that would obviously make the issue worse… which it did.

I am also curious why the OP didn’t replace the injectors as recommended. There are TSBs and ample evidence that some 992s have injector issues. To never do that then blame M Engineering for not sending another revision is unreasonable IMO.

Also M Engineering’s explanation is reasonable. I used to drive a lot of Nissans. The pre-eminent tuner was Jim Wolf Racing. Their tunes were very well developed and ran perfectly in every car I had. They were also conservative, I.e. they were tuned slightly rich for some safety margin and they left all safety systems in place and as a result they did not make the most power but the cars ran correctly with proper A/F ratios, timing, etc. M Engineering’s tune likely causes issues b/c it is designed to push injectors harder as they need to be to run safe A/F ratios to make the desired power safely. There are tuners who will definitely run leaner tunes, primarily to make more power, and they may work fine now and even 100k miles later but, make no mistake, running a car leaner runs it closer to the edge of detonation. A bad tank of gas is more likely to cause engine failure if your tune is running leaner than it should be. It will feel very fast… right up until it blows up.

But this is all speculation. Best thing to do would be to datalog both tunes to get a true sense of what’s going on and also replace the injectors and datalog again. In fact even if OP decides to stay with the current tune I’d still recommend replacing the injectors because they are definitely not functioning properly. Regardless of what he thinks about M Engineering I would not risk blowing up a $50K motor when there’s evidence the injectors may not be fully healthy and I’m running larger turbos. Let’s say M Engineering is full of crap and the soft tropic tune is perfect, still, why take the risk? The warranty is out the window and you are self insuring the motor. An ounce of prevention would seem prudent here.
The following users liked this post:
rr_gts (06-13-2024)
Old 06-13-2024, 01:59 AM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,995 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Schwarz992C4S
I don't think he's trying to harm anyone. OP is stating the facts from his experience and viewpoint. No Malice or intent to harm. Personally, I think this is an exceptional post and very informative. Having been a business owner, COO, Engineer and VP of BD, I believe the seller should have been more open and understanding and in the end if the customer was not satisfied then refund the product. Their decision otherwise is Negative exposure that will cost them business. Why do I state this? I was actually looking to do a tune from them but have concluded to skip and go elsewhere.
the tune on stock turbos was running fine. The issue started when he upgraded turbos. So he paid for a tune for stock turbos and he got what he paid for. M engineering offers free tune revisions. I don’t know if they keep giving you free revisions even after you upgrade turbos though. However after that, M Engineering felt that the injectors needed replacing based on data logs and ongoing misfires and the OP didn’t want to go that route. Had the OP replaced the injectors and still had misfires with the M engineering tune then, yeah, at that point we could all grab the pitchforks and torches.

Old 06-13-2024, 01:59 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,516 Likes on 744 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I appreciate OP sharing his experience. There are a couple of things that I question though. First if the car was having some misfires with stock turbos and a tune I think it’s insane to install bigger turbos and expect the stock injectors would magically work fine with a revised tune on larger turbos that call for an even greater injector duty cycle. I would have 100% sorted out the misfire/injector issue first before installing GTS turbos that would obviously make the issue worse… which it did.

I am also curious why the OP didn’t replace the injectors as recommended. There are TSBs and ample evidence that some 992s have injector issues. To never do that then blame M Engineering for not sending another revision is unreasonable IMO.

Also M Engineering’s explanation is reasonable. I used to drive a lot of Nissans. The pre-eminent tuner was Jim Wolf Racing. Their tunes were very well developed and ran perfectly in every car I had. They were also conservative, I.e. they were tuned slightly rich for some safety margin and they left all safety systems in place and as a result they did not make the most power but the cars ran correctly with proper A/F ratios, timing, etc. M Engineering’s tune likely causes issues b/c it is designed to push injectors harder as they need to be to run safe A/F ratios to make the desired power safely. There are tuners who will definitely run leaner tunes, primarily to make more power, and they may work fine now and even 100k miles later but, make no mistake, running a car leaner runs it closer to the edge of detonation. A bad tank of gas is more likely to cause engine failure if your tune is running leaner than it should be. It will feel very fast… right up until it blows up.

But this is all speculation. Best thing to do would be to datalog both tunes to get a true sense of what’s going on and also replace the injectors and datalog again. In fact even if OP decides to stay with the current tune I’d still recommend replacing the injectors because they are definitely not functioning properly. Regardless of what he thinks about M Engineering I would not risk blowing up a $50K motor when there’s evidence the injectors may not be fully healthy and I’m running larger turbos. Let’s say M Engineering is full of crap and the soft tropic tune is perfect, still, why take the risk? The warranty is out the window and you are self insuring the motor. An ounce of prevention would seem prudent here.
did you not read the thread? OP never said he had issues with stock turbos. Also, did you actually read the TSB what it says? It seems you just regurgitate ME’s explanation about other tuners solution (total speculation) and their conclusion injectors are faulty because it can’t be their tune. C’mon.

Quick Reply: MEngineering vs. Softronic Tune