Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Past 992T freeze point but tempted by 2022 PTS 992S in Canada--what would you do??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 10:25 AM
STENTDR
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Past 992T freeze point but tempted by 2022 PTS 992S in Canada--what would you do??

I know there's a lot on here comparing the 992T to the S and I mostly get the similarities and difference but I feel like this is a bit of a unique situation so I thought I'd ask opinions.

I'm currently past the freeze date for a 992T with delivery on 7/7/24 that is mostly a stripper build IGM which I'm very excited about and thankful to get the allocation. But then, I see this gorgeous 992S pops up on a PTS social media account which caught my eye. It's a 2022 with ~4K miles, olive green with aurum wheels, agave interior, MT with sport chrono, sport exhaust PASM in beautiful condition---really a mouth watering build. I am sucker for green (python green not available when I ordered my T but also a little loud for me). I expect it to be way out of my price range but then I do the conversion from CAD to USD and I'm shocked. So I'm now engaged with the Canadian dealer and trying to figure out the hold import process which I think will be doable but far from easy. All in after the taxes, shipping fees etc I did the math and the olive green 992S will cost about the same as the new 992T. What would you do?

What I've got it down to is the T has advantage of being new, I specced it, no import uncertainties, somewhat more raw feeling without insulation and sometimes I think less power is an advantage cause I'll be able to rev it out more. I feel like the weight savings isn't enough to truly notice since both have a MT and back seats. Both have the same PASM, PTV, LSD etc. The S obviously has more power (again I can see as both good and maybe too much?) and really one of my favorite PTS colors that I never thought I'd be able to get. I'm sure both will be awesome but can't make up my mind.

Appreciate any and all input!

Representative pic I found online

Old 05-01-2024, 10:46 AM
TangoUniform
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts

Just my opinion, but anything PTS makes it a much more special car and will definitely hold it's value more if you ever decide to sell. I've been a 991.2 T owner for 2 years now, and I've come to realize that it's the non-standard colors that make a car stand out at your local Cars and Coffee, not necessarily the car. So that has made me appreciate special colors even more.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:08 AM
Tobeit
Rennlist Member

Received 1,462 Likes on 728 Posts

sounds your heart says S...go for what makes you the most happy and not what others may think or what you may be able to sell it for. No idea how complicated the import though (doesn't it mean the S in Canada has km/h odometer etc?)
The following users liked this post:
Tedster (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 11:41 AM
whatsshakin
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Your dealer will have no trouble selling your T build to someone else at or above MSRP, the only hiccup is getting your deposit back.

It sounds like you want the S, so I would go with the S if you can make the logistics and pricing work.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:51 AM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Don’t ever feel bad about abandoning a build to a dealer. They’d sell it from under you if someone offered them $30k over what you were about to pay.

Plus it’s not a Ronald McDonald spec.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:52 AM
suffer
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 96 Posts

What state are you in? Some states (such as TX) won't let dealers withhold your deposit if you don't take delivery.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:53 AM
BlitzedTT
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoUniform
Just my opinion, but anything PTS makes it a much more special car and will definitely hold it's value more if you ever decide to sell. I've been a 991.2 T owner for 2 years now, and I've come to realize that it's the non-standard colors that make a car stand out at your local Cars and Coffee, not necessarily the car. So that has made me appreciate special colors even more.
Getting validation from car guys drooling over my Pink 911 is exactly why I'm getting a rubystar next. Give me ALL the attention please!
Old 05-01-2024, 11:57 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 1,010 Likes on 575 Posts

word of caution , CA cars fetch less money at time of sale down the line
Old 05-01-2024, 12:22 PM
STENTDR
AutoX

Received 29 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in California. Deposit is fully refundable. I'm sure the dealer could sell it possibly and probably with an ADM. I got them to agree on MSRP when they gave me the allocation. Would still like to maintain a relationship with my local dealer however. I may need to jut fly out to Montreal to see the S and test it before committing. I think I'll have FOMO regardless of the car I choose. I currently have a malachite green 997.1 C4S so this would be a lot of green in the garage haha but not necessarily a bad thing.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:33 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 1,007 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoUniform
Just my opinion, but anything PTS makes it a much more special car and will definitely hold it's value more if you ever decide to sell.
Absolutely.
Old 05-01-2024, 04:09 PM
Gary12000
Rennlist Member

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

How special is the T spec? i spent some time on the configurator after a buddy showed me his newly delivered Carrera T , i specced it with sport design kit and i thought it looked mega, however wifey voted for a Cabriolet so that made the used market more attractive due to the high cost of a cab new.. we ended up finding a C2S cab with a desirable spec... red softtop GT silver bourdeaux and black interior , night vision camera anyone??? anyway either way you go youve got first world problems, you could be in a good spot either way...two green cars hmmmmm if you love green so much how come your new T isnt in green or is it?
Old 05-01-2024, 05:25 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 227 Posts

Get the S.

I specifically wanted a T and specifically wanted Ruby Star Neo and its a color that demands attention. I love the color and at this past weekends PCA event in Hershey folks were constantly taking pics of it. The importation process is easy from Canada to the US and I suggest using TFX International who can do the customs clearance, pick the car up from the dealer here in Canada and deliver it to your home. You just need your local Porsche dealership to program the speedo for the US market or make that a condition of the deal with the Canadian dealership.

My nephew just bought a Ruby Star Neo GT3 this morning too...

Always get the PTS.

Old 05-01-2024, 05:40 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Can they convert the speed from Km to miles yet? I thought that Canadian cars had that un-fixable issue along with a few others.
Old 05-01-2024, 05:47 PM
jlegelis
Burning Brakes

Received 742 Likes on 347 Posts

Conversion is simple… remember these are world cars - you can configure the dashboard to be in any unit or language via software.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:17 PM
Vicbastige
Burning Brakes

Received 737 Likes on 355 Posts

Originally Posted by jlegelis
Conversion is simple… remember these are world cars - you can configure the dashboard to be in any unit or language via software.
Some inconsistent experiences with this. Not sure what/which is correct:

https://rennlist.com/forums/992/1333...r-console.html

Quick Reply: Past 992T freeze point but tempted by 2022 PTS 992S in Canada--what would you do??