Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 03:22 PM
Cdwb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)

I would appreciate any configuration input/advice on my first build. I don't have previous experience with these vehicles and this is my first sports car/new vehicle. If it's as good as expected, I plan to keep it long term (is this a mistake?).https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR3AVDS3
Old 02-14-2024, 03:41 PM
AlterZgo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,946 Likes on 789 Posts

For more specific advice, please let us know that you intend to do with the car. Is it a weekend toy? Daily driver? Track weapon? Cruise and show at car shows car? Will this be your only car or od you have access to other cars? Where do you live? Do you deal with snow or bad weather conditions? And what's important to you? Are you into certain customization options like bespoke interiors? Are you into Porsche heritage stuff?

One thing I can say though is, regardless of what type of build you are going for, always spec the option if you are considering it. Most things are super expensive to add after the fact or are simply impractical or impossible to add. Something like rear view camera or FAL are likely super complicated and cost prohibitive to add. There are things I regret not adding like the tachometer in guards red that is a major PITA to add now but I could've added it for $540. I also talked myself out of Burmester after reading all the posts about people saying how good Bose was. Now I wish I had Burmester and I ended up spending $7K more for an afermarket stereo system when I should've just ordered the Burmester.
The following 3 users liked this post by AlterZgo:
detansinn (02-14-2024), TheDrivenGarage (02-14-2024), txpackers (02-15-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 03:50 PM
adrianp89
Pro

Received 419 Likes on 192 Posts

I'd drop the LKA and ACC - a 911 is meant to be driven. If you want easy driving buy a Tesla.

Not sure ionizer is worth $350.

I am happy with the Bose but I am not an audio snob (thought I professionally installed car audio for a very long time). I prefer to keep the music down and hear the exhaust.

Drop the premium headlights, just stick with the ones in the premium package.

RAS - hugely debatably. I have it but not sure if I would know if it stopped working. I'd prob drop.

I'd equip the sport and premium package, you'd prob save some money.

Old 02-14-2024, 04:38 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

looks like a great all-rounder daily driver spec.

with that in mind, get the premium pack and sport package.

if you want LKA and ACC then get Innodrive. saves a few bucks. a lot here like to rag on it but if you drive the car on the interstate, boring roads, or traffic its nice. when i'm just blasting down an interstate at legal limits i want something to make it more enjoyable - and nudge me if i get mesmorized. take the fun roads when you can. i've only needed traffic jam assist a couple times but it made that so much more bearable because i wasn't doing the start / stop myself. the system can be fully off when you don't want it. but it's there for when you need it.

LED matrix lights aren't functional in the US (if that is where you are.)
Old 02-14-2024, 05:08 PM
remington
Burning Brakes

Received 1,448 Likes on 517 Posts

I'd opt for full leather instead of club leather, cheaper and get the same effect, club leather is a rarely chosen option.
I'd lose LCA.
I'd lose the matrix headlights, they are crippled in NA
personally not a fan of RAS
I'd get rid of the fire extinguisher
Old 02-14-2024, 05:17 PM
Nidal
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 28 Posts

I you won’t be able to get your money back if you exceeded 160 in the buildup
you are in the GTS zone or 2018 low mileage GT3 zone
The following users liked this post:
detansinn (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 05:19 PM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdwb
I would appreciate any configuration input/advice on my first build. I don't have previous experience with these vehicles and this is my first sports car/new vehicle. If it's as good as expected, I plan to keep it long term (is this a mistake?).https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR3AVDS3
excellent setup…. you will have a lot of fun
Old 02-14-2024, 05:28 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

So many things are personal taste.... and also so many things depend on where you live - that is the key.

I live in Chicago and...
I got
1. The premium package because I wanted Power Folding Exterior Mirrors, Surround View, Ventilated Seats and heck, everything it offered. The ventilated seats are wonderful on hot days and no, they are not too firm.
2. The Rear Wiper. I love mine in the weather.

I did NOT get
1. The sports suspension - the roads are brutal here and others in Chicago have said they hate the ride with it (some will tell you it is fine, but I will tell you that FOR ME, the regular PASM is just PERFECT)
2. The LED Matrix Design headlights. Even though that type of headlight is approved for the US, rumor has it the 992 requires a design change - so from what I read, they will never be enabled here in the US. You can pay a 3rd party to do it, but damn, that's a lot of money for something you can't use without help.
3. The Front Axle Lift - It is simply NOT needed here. But I just was in Palm Springs California where my minivan rental was scraping the front end. I would not get a 992 if you live in an area where the streets/gutters/driveways are designed for those "occasional massive rains" - reminds me of San Diego too (My point here is if someone tells you that you MUST get it or that you don't need it - remember, it is location dependent).

Now the rest is personal taste...
1. Love my Burmester
2. I got the RWS (Rear Wheel Steering) - It is fun to do parking lot tricks with it (watch how tight my turning radius is!). But I'm not sure I would get it again.
3. I'm not really sure why people get the fire extinguisher - nobody told me these cars catch fire....
Old 02-14-2024, 05:34 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

If you select the premium and sport packages, instead of selecting the individual options that you selected, you save yourself $1400. Beyond that, you haven't provided much information as how you intend to use the car.

IMHO, you've over spec'd it, which is common for a newbie 911 build. After you've owned a couple, you'll know what's actually important to you

You've mentioned that this is your "first sports car/new vehicle". I wouldn't do this spend presuming that you're going to "keep it long term", because in reality, you're going discover pretty quickly what you like and don't like. You're dropping $200k on something that you really haven't experienced before. I'd almost encourage you to get something simpler to see if this is what you really want to be doing.
Old 02-14-2024, 05:47 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,062 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Hey Nick, I can meet up with Wednesday or Thursday if you want to listen to the Bose and check out the car.

I will say, you’re heavy on options for an S, but if you live on the other side of the reservoir, it’s pocket change for you 😂
The following 2 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Cdwb (02-16-2024), detansinn (02-14-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 06:01 PM
rwbern
Rennlist Member

Received 865 Likes on 387 Posts

Nice build. I would consider the Sport & Premium packages, full leather, heated & ventilated seats.
Enjoy
The following users liked this post:
Cdwb (02-16-2024)
Old 02-14-2024, 07:11 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Wheels will be hard to clean and they’re cast, not forged.
I wouldn’t pay extra for colored center caps - you can always order from Suncoast for the same $ or less and then you have 2 sets.
I just traded a C4S cab with Truffle/chalk stitching but I never liked the brown steering wheel and dash. Personal preference. Incoming Targa is Black/chalk Exclusive.
Since you’re ordering Paldao trim (which is really nice), I would add seat backs trimmed in leather/Paldao if you’re getting 18 way seats. Effect won’t be as dramatic as in a cab or Targa, but completes the look of the wood trim. Had that combo in that cab and it got tons of compliments.
For the build you have, I would paint the calipers black.
Same as above on premium package to save some $.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:17 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 838 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Wheels will be hard to clean and they’re cast, not forged.
I wouldn’t pay extra for colored center caps - you can always order from Suncoast for the same $ or less and then you have 2 sets.
1. Those wheels are not hard to clean at all. Takes about 1 minute per wheel.
2. I tried that - did not order the colored center caps - big mistake. Suncoast has this thing called a shipping charge - so my out of pocket was MORE than had i just spec'd them from Porsche. And yes, while i have two sets now, they only work on the wheels they are ordered* for and seriously, what am I going to do with my 2nd set? So I HIGHLY recommend just getting them with the car if you are going to want them.

*So you have to go through and make sure you find the exact correct ones.

Last edited by doug_999; 02-14-2024 at 07:50 PM.
Old 02-14-2024, 07:54 PM
Go Bruins
Rennlist Member

Received 572 Likes on 256 Posts

I would delete the following:
  • LED Matrix
  • Lane Keep and Adaptive CC
  • Rear axle steering
  • Burnmester
  • Ionizer
  • Spyder wheels
  • ambient lighting
  • fire extinguisher
Add:
  • Front axle lift (indispensable for daily driver)
  • Carrera exclusive design wheels
  • Remote park assist package (love it on my Targa)
  • Bose (and do a sound upgrade that will leave Burmester in the dust for the same money)
  • Carbon Ceramic Brakes (expensive, but will pay for themselves in 6 years)
I agree with others here that you might be well advised to get the premium package with remote park assist. It has lots of the goodies you selected, but it will save you 2k if you get the package.
Old 02-14-2024, 08:21 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

Received 3,199 Likes on 1,373 Posts

That Truffle Brown leather is the bomb along with the 930 package and Paldao wood, looks great. You don't need all the electronic-nannies (LCA, etc), locking wheel bolts, ionizer, def not Matrix headlights (useless in USA), or the fire extinguisher, get one of these instead

Quick Reply: First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)