Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 09:33 PM
js1ngh13
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you select the premium and sport packages, instead of selecting the individual options that you selected, you save yourself $1400. Beyond that, you haven't provided much information as how you intend to use the car.

IMHO, you've over spec'd it, which is common for a newbie 911 build. After you've owned a couple, you'll know what's actually important to you

You've mentioned that this is your "first sports car/new vehicle". I wouldn't do this spend presuming that you're going to "keep it long term", because in reality, you're going discover pretty quickly what you like and don't like. You're dropping $200k on something that you really haven't experienced before. I'd almost encourage you to get something simpler to see if this is what you really want to be doing.
This isn't my first sports car but this is my build: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRZHAVC1

What are your thoughts/recommendations? Was thinking about the GT Sport wheel but not sure. I see you have some good history so any advice is appreciated and I won't be butt hurt
Old 02-15-2024, 10:30 AM
scottmesenbrink
Advanced

Received 106 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by js1ngh13
This isn't my first sports car but this is my build: https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PRZHAVC1

What are your thoughts/recommendations? Was thinking about the GT Sport wheel but not sure. I see you have some good history so any advice is appreciated and I won't be butt hurt
Great build. I ordered a C4S and just took delivery so this whole process is fresh on my mind. The only thing I would advise you on is the Racetex steering wheel. I have that in my GT4 and I like it, but with your interior I think it’s going to stick out. I would stick to the heated GT steering wheel in leather for consistency and easier maintenance. I love the color choice. My GT4 is chalk and it is money with your chosen interior. Of course my GT4 is black leather and Racetex but I’ve seen the interior you are choosing with chalk and it is perfect.

Well done!
The following users liked this post:
js1ngh13 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:36 AM
Staffie Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,390 Likes on 671 Posts

Consider adding the Porsche design sub second clock instead of having that mindless second hand going around the dial. The clock looks really cool and it is located in a very visible area of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by Staffie Guy:
Go Bruins (02-15-2024), js1ngh13 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 10:49 AM
js1ngh13
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by scottmesenbrink
Great build. I ordered a C4S and just took delivery so this whole process is fresh on my mind. The only thing I would advise you on is the Racetex steering wheel. I have that in my GT4 and I like it, but with your interior I think it’s going to stick out. I would stick to the heated GT steering wheel in leather for consistency and easier maintenance. I love the color choice. My GT4 is chalk and it is money with your chosen interior. Of course my GT4 is black leather and Racetex but I’ve seen the interior you are choosing with chalk and it is perfect.

Well done!
Thank you for the advice!

I'll certain look into adding the heated GT steering wheel. Does it really block the HUD like others say?
Old 02-15-2024, 10:52 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
1. Those wheels are not hard to clean at all. Takes about 1 minute per wheel.
Wow. I'm impressed. I couldn't clean any wheel I've ever had in a minute.

As a rule I refuse to pay extra for OEM wheels that aren't forged. I broke that rule with this order because I like the look of the Classic wheels so much. Didn't order the colored center caps, but not to save the money.
Old 02-15-2024, 10:54 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

Thank you for the advice!

I'll certain look into adding the heated GT steering wheel. Does it really block the HUD like others say?
HUD not available on 911s. But it does make some of the dials a little hard to see.
js1ngh13 (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024, 07:42 PM
Crusje
Racer

Received 217 Likes on 117 Posts

Get the GT. I liked it much better at the dealer.
1. Those wheels are not hard to clean at all. Takes about 1 minute per wheel.
2. I tried that - did not order the colored center caps - big mistake. Suncoast has this thing called a shipping charge - so my out of pocket was MORE than had i just spec'd them from Porsche. And yes, while i have two sets now, they only work on the wheels they are ordered* for and seriously, what am I going to do with my 2nd set? So I HIGHLY recommend just getting them with the car if you are going to want them.

*So you have to go through and make sure you find the exact correct ones.
There's no way those take less than a minute. It takes me more than that to clean my Alfa wheels which have fewer and bigger spokes. Also, it's funny Porsche has people paying for colored center caps. At Alfa, the monochrome ones were the special caps that came with a black package that cost extra.

Last edited by Crusje; 02-15-2024 at 07:43 PM.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:02 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't follow your build...

No premium package, no sports package but you've selected sports chrono and sports exhaust? Please help me understand.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:08 PM
itrocks4u
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

You should start a separate thread. You'll get good feedback rather than confusing OP thread.

You should select sports package instead of individual options. Also your steering wheel is the only item in Race-Tex. Just go with heated gt steering wheel.
js1ngh13 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 01:53 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AlterZgo
For more specific advice, please let us know that you intend to do with the car. Is it a weekend toy? Daily driver? Track weapon? Cruise and show at car shows car? Will this be your only car or od you have access to other cars? Where do you live? Do you deal with snow or bad weather conditions? And what's important to you? Are you into certain customization options like bespoke interiors? Are you into Porsche heritage stuff?

One thing I can say though is, regardless of what type of build you are going for, always spec the option if you are considering it. Most things are super expensive to add after the fact or are simply impractical or impossible to add. Something like rear view camera or FAL are likely super complicated and cost prohibitive to add. There are things I regret not adding like the tachometer in guards red that is a major PITA to add now but I could've added it for $540. I also talked myself out of Burmester after reading all the posts about people saying how good Bose was. Now I wish I had Burmester and I ended up spending $7K more for an afermarket stereo system when I should've just ordered the Burmester.
Thank you all for the great insights, I appreciate the feedback.
  1. The plan is to build a weekend toy with great handling for backroads/corners yet is comfortable for road trips. I don’t plan to track it.
  2. I live in central Ohio—not much snow and flat so my initial thought is winter tires aren’t needed. I understand that a different tire is needed for cold weather. I run PS4 all seasons on my daily and love them. I’d like to install these all seasons on the 992 for colder months but they aren’t N-spec and I’ve only seen the rears available in 315, not the stock 305 size.
  3. I appreciate quality interiors. I was considering the Heritage Design Package in Cognac with gentian blue exterior but thought the cognac would stain too easily. I was thinking this package might overkill for a C4S. As was mentioned, and I agree with, I’m not trying to go too crazy on my first build but I know this tends to happen.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:00 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by adrianp89
I'd drop the LKA and ACC - a 911 is meant to be driven. If you want easy driving buy a Tesla.

Not sure ionizer is worth $350.

I am happy with the Bose but I am not an audio snob (thought I professionally installed car audio for a very long time). I prefer to keep the music down and hear the exhaust.

Drop the premium headlights, just stick with the ones in the premium package.

RAS - hugely debatably. I have it but not sure if I would know if it stopped working. I'd prob drop.

I'd equip the sport and premium package, you'd prob save some money.
  1. LKA/ ACC only added for road trips. I despise active LKA but the minimal LKA in my A7 is appreciated for longer trips.
  2. Wasn’t sure about the ionizer either.
  3. I plan to get the Matrix headlights programmed. Is the tech not worth it?
  4. Wasn’t sure about RAS. I'm concerned it would upset weight transfer in corners and feel unnatural. I also saw some threads discuss that without RAS the 992 handles “like a boat” while others say most people can’t tell the difference. I’d prefer to not to mess with the LiFePo4 battery but if the RAS is worth it then no problem.
  5. Understood there are savings in choosing the sport/premium packages. I’ve read SPASM (lowered 10mm) makes for a harsher ride and the extra layer in ventilated seats aren't as comfortable (not ideal for road trips?)
Old 02-16-2024, 02:01 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
looks like a great all-rounder daily driver spec.

with that in mind, get the premium pack and sport package.

if you want LKA and ACC then get Innodrive. saves a few bucks. a lot here like to rag on it but if you drive the car on the interstate, boring roads, or traffic its nice. when i'm just blasting down an interstate at legal limits i want something to make it more enjoyable - and nudge me if i get mesmorized. take the fun roads when you can. i've only needed traffic jam assist a couple times but it made that so much more bearable because i wasn't doing the start / stop myself. the system can be fully off when you don't want it. but it's there for when you need it.

LED matrix lights aren't functional in the US (if that is where you are.)
  1. I didn’t select Innodrive because I don’t want active LKA, is there a way to turn off the active portion and only use standard LKA that acts as “bumpers” between the edges of the lane?
  2. I plan to have the matrix programmed. Are the fully functional matrix headlights not worth it?
Old 02-16-2024, 02:03 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by remington
I'd opt for full leather instead of club leather, cheaper and get the same effect, club leather is a rarely chosen option.
I'd lose LCA.
I'd lose the matrix headlights, they are crippled in NA
personally not a fan of RAS
I'd get rid of the fire extinguisher
I liked the placement and idea of having a factory fire extinguisher mount. Do you know if the bracket is removable?
Old 02-16-2024, 02:06 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by Nidal
I you won’t be able to get your money back if you exceeded 160 in the buildup
you are in the GTS zone or 2018 low mileage GT3 zone
The plan is to keep the car medium to long term. Not too concerned with depreciation. I wanted to spec an ICE model before they are offered as hybrid only. Understood that it's a lot for a C4S. Is the general consensus to keep it under 160? I appreciate the reality check if that’s too much for a C4S.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:10 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

So many things are personal taste.... and also so many things depend on where you live - that is the key.

I live in Chicago and...
I got
1. The premium package because I wanted Power Folding Exterior Mirrors, Surround View, Ventilated Seats and heck, everything it offered. The ventilated seats are wonderful on hot days and no, they are not too firm.
2. The Rear Wiper. I love mine in the weather.

I did NOT get
1. The sports suspension - the roads are brutal here and others in Chicago have said they hate the ride with it (some will tell you it is fine, but I will tell you that FOR ME, the regular PASM is just PERFECT)
2. The LED Matrix Design headlights. Even though that type of headlight is approved for the US, rumor has it the 992 requires a design change - so from what I read, they will never be enabled here in the US. You can pay a 3rd party to do it, but damn, that's a lot of money for something you can't use without help.
3. The Front Axle Lift - It is simply NOT needed here. But I just was in Palm Springs California where my minivan rental was scraping the front end. I would not get a 992 if you live in an area where the streets/gutters/driveways are designed for those "occasional massive rains" - reminds me of San Diego too (My point here is if someone tells you that you MUST get it or that you don't need it - remember, it is location dependent).

Now the rest is personal taste...
1. Love my Burmester
2. I got the RWS (Rear Wheel Steering) - It is fun to do parking lot tricks with it (watch how tight my turning radius is!). But I'm not sure I would get it again.
3. I'm not really sure why people get the fire extinguisher - nobody told me these cars catch fire....
  1. Glad to hear the ventilated seats aren’t too firm. They are not a must have for me, but wouldn’t mind getting the package for some savings.
  2. I’m a huge fan of rear wipers for practicality, but it kind of kills the look of the rear end for me. I’m torn on this one.
  3. I plan to road trip and don’t have the best roads either so I’m hesitant on the lowered suspension. Is the normal PASM enough for a good handling backroad build?
  4. Are the fully functional Matrix headlights worth it? If they are a step up for night drives, I don’t mind getting them activated
  5. I don’t want the complexity of FAL and think it’s unnecessary 99% of the time. There’s a possibility of moving to a more rural area so I don’t know what those driveways will look like.
  6. What makes you unsure of speccing RAS again?

Quick Reply: First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)