Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 02:13 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by detansinn
If you select the premium and sport packages, instead of selecting the individual options that you selected, you save yourself $1400. Beyond that, you haven't provided much information as how you intend to use the car.

IMHO, you've over spec'd it, which is common for a newbie 911 build. After you've owned a couple, you'll know what's actually important to you

You've mentioned that this is your "first sports car/new vehicle". I wouldn't do this spend presuming that you're going to "keep it long term", because in reality, you're going discover pretty quickly what you like and don't like. You're dropping $200k on something that you really haven't experienced before. I'd almost encourage you to get something simpler to see if this is what you really want to be doing.
  1. I didn’t want SPASM (lowered) or ventilated seats so I didn’t get sport or premium package. I plan to use the vehicle as a weekend toy and for road trips.
  2. Understood that it’s overspec’d—looking for input on what isn’t needed.
  3. Should I not spec it with the intention of keeping the car for the medium to long term? I’m new to the brand and wanted to build something I’d be happy to keep long term if I did’t get the chance to build something else before everything goes hybrid.
  4. My SA suggested almost a year ago to go with a CPO for the first one, however, CPO prices were at or above MSRP so I just waited to spec my own, I couldn’t justify paying MSRP or above for something that wasn’t spec’d with my non-negotiables.
Old 02-16-2024, 02:17 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by Keadog
Wheels will be hard to clean and they’re cast, not forged.
I wouldn’t pay extra for colored center caps - you can always order from Suncoast for the same $ or less and then you have 2 sets.
I just traded a C4S cab with Truffle/chalk stitching but I never liked the brown steering wheel and dash. Personal preference. Incoming Targa is Black/chalk Exclusive.
Since you’re ordering Paldao trim (which is really nice), I would add seat backs trimmed in leather/Paldao if you’re getting 18 way seats. Effect won’t be as dramatic as in a cab or Targa, but completes the look of the wood trim. Had that combo in that cab and it got tons of compliments.
For the build you have, I would paint the calipers black.
Same as above on premium package to save some $.
  1. I haven’t spent a lot of time in person with the various wheel options but RS spyder were the only ones I liked. Any suggestions for aftermarket? Is it sacrilege to go with 19/20s for a little more sidewall?
  2. Agree the brown steering wheel isn’t as nice as black. Might go with black interior vs truffle I didn’t want the interior-exterior combination to be too plain. If PTS was available, I would’ve gone with Brewstergreen.
  3. Noted on the paldao seat backs, you're right it won’t be as dramatic as in a cab/targa.
  4. Been going back and forth on red vs black calipers, if I go black calipers I’d also want to go with exclusive design taillights, which is adding more cost to an already bloated C4S build—might be worth it for me though
Old 02-16-2024, 02:18 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

Originally Posted by Scott P
That Truffle Brown leather is the bomb along with the 930 package and Paldao wood, looks great. You don't need all the electronic-nannies (LCA, etc), locking wheel bolts, ionizer, def not Matrix headlights (useless in USA), or the fire extinguisher, get one of these instead
I thought I saw some reviews that the Element extinguishers aren’t very capable. Felt it was reasonably priced to spec it and unbolt it for most driving applications. It’s one of those options that’s costly to retrofit so I might as well add it?
Old 02-16-2024, 09:46 AM
Cdwb
AutoX

From the input received, significant changes were made. I'm very appreciative for all of the insights so far.

This is where I'm currently at.

https://configurator.porsche.com/porsche-code/PR25P7I0

Thoughts?
Old 02-16-2024, 10:13 AM
yrralis1
Burning Brakes

Received 752 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdwb
Thank you all for the great insights, I appreciate the feedback.

I was considering the Heritage Design Package in Cognac with gentian blue exterior but thought the cognac would stain too easily. I was thinking this package might overkill for a C4S. As was mentioned, and I agree with, I’m not trying to go too crazy on my first build but I know this tends to happen.
I like that combination above a lot more .

Wood belongs on a Bentley . I can't handle it on a 911 . As I looked at your build I even see a few mistakes I have made . Fortunately it was not on my 911 . Burmester is a lot of money and because there was a stop sale when I ordered my Macan I bought it. It is a total waste unless you subscribe to an HD service like Tidal . My 992 is Gt silver which I love but since my Macan was my 6th I decided to try something different . By a process of elimination of former colors I landed on chalk . Its a year of chalk now and I hate it !!! In overcast sky it looks like stale mayonnaise. . Its as if Porsche took white , added cognac , threw in some gloss , and ground up 3 thousand dollars of mine .

I agree with others on sport package along with premium . On gentian I like carrera classic wheels . On chalk anything black works . That is the one main positive of chalk is that it goes with black and carbon fiber . I agree on PCCB's . They are amazing .

Ionizer ? ACC ? The only thing that I think is nice is LCA
The following users liked this post:
Cdwb (02-19-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 10:52 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,099 Likes on 2,995 Posts

From the input received, significant changes were made. I'm very appreciative for all of the insights so far.

Thoughts?
When you figure in taxes and fees, you're over $50k for what I paid for my very well equipped 2020 C4S, out the door, in 2019.
You're paying that for a car with standard wheels, painted, but standard wheels. 🤯

Now, I know that the market has changed since 2019, but it's also a matter of some option sheet discipline. If I am spending that kind of money in 2024, it's on a GTS. You can over option these cars and you should not expect to see all of that back when it comes to trade-in or private sale. If you're spending that kind of cash, spend it on the highest trim possible.
The following users liked this post:
Cdwb (02-19-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 11:01 AM
Motorin Mark
Racer

Received 423 Likes on 207 Posts

Thoughts?

This build is much better and looks really nice. Remember you are making it for YOU, not others, all of our input is helpful, but your' the one that needs to be fully satisfied in the end. Proceed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motorin Mark:
Cdwb (02-19-2024), Dan006 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 11:19 AM
Dan006
Racer

Received 172 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorin Mark
This build is much better and looks really nice. Remember you are making it for YOU, not others, all of our input is helpful, but your' the one that needs to be fully satisfied in the end. Proceed.
sums it all up well. I agree with you… I wouldn’t even have asked for an opinion.

Quick Reply: First build advice (C4S locks in ~1 week)