992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading 992t for 991 gt3?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2024 | 01:21 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Does anyone realize how futile this convo is?

Mayor variables that make it impossible for most to agree:
1. Our roads are different
2. We use our cars differently
3. We have different priorities and tastes

There is a reason Porsche makes 20-something variants of the 911.
\Seems ridiculous in theory. It's brilliant in practice.
Buy what makes sense for you. That's YOUR "better" car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Wilder:
Honinspire02 (02-16-2024), Jeff Whitten (02-16-2024), Newusername (02-15-2024)
Old 02-15-2024 | 08:55 AM
Newusername
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by speedyj
even on the street for pure driving pleasure a carrera is in no way shape or form comparing to a gt3
Nope, you certainly aren't replacing a GT3 with any of the Carrera range but it certainly feels like the better fit in some cases.
Old 02-15-2024 | 10:12 AM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Wilder
Does anyone realize how futile this convo is?

Mayor variables that make it impossible for most to agree:
1. Our roads are different
2. We use our cars differently
3. We have different priorities and tastes

There is a reason Porsche makes 20-something variants of the 911.
\Seems ridiculous in theory. It's brilliant in practice.
Buy what makes sense for you. That's YOUR "better" car.
Agreed. But I do think @Irish Guy makes some good points about usability of 500hp and 9K rpm on public roads. And as you also said, our roads are all different. Most of my fun local roads are at 6000-8000 feet. I've read that an NA motor loses ~3% hp per 1000 feet of elevation gain. At 7k feet, that's roughly 100hp loss with a GT3 vs running at sea level! Turbos can reduce the altitude effect. In the case of the way Porsche tuned the T motor, the power band is pretty wide too. I had friends telling me to go big or go home - get the GT3. But using my logic above, I thought a T (991 or 992) was a better fit. I may track my 992 but I also have a dedicated track car.

Re: weight discussions above, I took my T to the truck scales - 3270 lbs. Weight adders are 18 way seats, folding mirrors, and large tank but 1/2 full.
The following 3 users liked this post by arrivederci:
Honinspire02 (02-16-2024), RatherJaded (02-15-2024), Wilder (02-16-2024)
Old 02-15-2024 | 11:04 AM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

I'll be honest, having owned these cars - I just don't see where a Carrera is any less compromised. No 911 is particularly usable or fun to drive on crappy roads - they are all sports cars after all.

The GT3 motor is not like other peaky NA motors I've owned (F20C in s2000 or s65 in BMW e90) where there is very little torque below peak in the power band - it has excellent power throughout and the noise, responsiveness and character carries all the way through.

You definitely need FAL with the GT3 vs Carreras - that is really the only practical difference I can see other than the lack of back seat. Now the 992 GT3 is a bit stiffer, but OP is referencing the 991.2 GT3 and that car's ride quality is about the same as the 992 C2S and TTS in my experience (arguably, the TTS was a little worse, to be honest).

In terms of noise, the GT3 is definitely way louder and if you have tinnitus, then I'd be aware of that fact. It's a really nice noise, but using a cellphone is impractical and the radio sound quality is an afterthought.

Now just to clarify - this doesn't mean the T is a "worse" sports car. It's different with pro and cons relative to the GT3. What I'm talking about here is practicality and usability/fun factor on the street. I know it's not conventional wisdom, but I just don't see where practicality is really a huge deciding factor here.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-15-2024 at 11:12 AM.
Old 02-16-2024 | 02:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arrivederci
Agreed. But I do think @Irish Guy makes some good points about usability of 500hp and 9K rpm on public roads. And as you also said, our roads are all different. Most of my fun local roads are at 6000-8000 feet. I've read that an NA motor loses ~3% hp per 1000 feet of elevation gain. At 7k feet, that's roughly 100hp loss with a GT3 vs running at sea level! Turbos can reduce the altitude effect. In the case of the way Porsche tuned the T motor, the power band is pretty wide too. I had friends telling me to go big or go home - get the GT3. But using my logic above, I thought a T (991 or 992) was a better fit. I may track my 992 but I also have a dedicated track car.

Re: weight discussions above, I took my T to the truck scales - 3270 lbs. Weight adders are 18 way seats, folding mirrors, and large tank but 1/2 full.
Absolutely. I have an 8,500 RPM GT3 and it's very difficult to fully use it on public roads. Top of 2nd is about 85 mph. Still fun hearing it get past 5k but that's not fully using it. Lower torque is another issue that takes away from the experience in traffic compared to even an NAesque turbo like the T. But my biggest gripe with the GT3 is the stiff chassis. In the poor roads I have to traverse to get to empty canyon roads or the track, it's the only car that has ever managed to put me in a bad mood, and I've lost count of how many cars I've owned but it's well over 50.

Originally Posted by rk-d
I'll be honest, having owned these cars - I just don't see where a Carrera is any less compromised. No 911 is particularly usable or fun to drive on crappy roads - they are all sports cars after all.

The GT3 motor is not like other peaky NA motors I've owned (F20C in s2000 or s65 in BMW e90) where there is very little torque below peak in the power band - it has excellent power throughout and the noise, responsiveness and character carries all the way through.

You definitely need FAL with the GT3 vs Carreras - that is really the only practical difference I can see other than the lack of back seat. Now the 992 GT3 is a bit stiffer, but OP is referencing the 991.2 GT3 and that car's ride quality is about the same as the 992 C2S and TTS in my experience (arguably, the TTS was a little worse, to be honest).

In terms of noise, the GT3 is definitely way louder and if you have tinnitus, then I'd be aware of that fact. It's a really nice noise, but using a cellphone is impractical and the radio sound quality is an afterthought.

Now just to clarify - this doesn't mean the T is a "worse" sports car. It's different with pro and cons relative to the GT3. What I'm talking about here is practicality and usability/fun factor on the street. I know it's not conventional wisdom, but I just don't see where practicality is really a huge deciding factor here.
Sorry but I beg to differ and this is exactly the point of my prior post.... we have different context. My 992 T is workable for the roads I drive in. The GT3, as I said above, in the roads I traverse to and from the track and backroads, it's downright awful. Once I get to the track however, sublime like no other. And let's also consider that despite you and I both having PCCBs and LW wheels (I have the same RE-MTSPs), the 7.2 chassis is stiffer than your GT3T which is also softer than the 992 GT3s chassis.
The following users liked this post:
Jeff Whitten (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 05:09 PM
AdamSanta85
Rennlist Member

I would just do coilovers, sway bars, brakes (if you don't have PCCB), and a tune on the T. Then you can show GT3s your tail lights.
Honinspire02 (02-16-2024)
Old 02-16-2024 | 08:12 PM
arrivederci
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The 911 is a wonderful road car, crappy roads and all. But some of the more edgy ones tend to be a compromise as they are more track tuned. One of my friends has a few 911s from 1970 to 2018. Interesting progression for him with the newer ones from a 911R, swapping to a 991.2 GT3RS, then a 991.2 GT3T. But he eventually moved into a 50th anniversary 911 (which was in his fleet before but he regretted selling) - which was basically a 991.1S. I think he sold that too in favor of driving older air cooled ones like an '89 g-body cab. As much as some people think the older torsion bar cars are antiquated, etc, the ride really really well over crappy roads.

My 'T' is pretty compliant and soaks up small and big bumps well...better road car from a ride quality perspective than my F80 M3 comp for sure.
Old 02-16-2024 | 08:50 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

Sorry but I beg to differ and this is exactly the point of my prior post.... we have different context. My 992 T is workable for the roads I drive in. The GT3, as I said above, in the roads I traverse to and from the track and backroads, it's downright awful. Once I get to the track however, sublime like no other. And let's also consider that despite you and I both having PCCBs and LW wheels (I have the same RE-MTSPs), the 7.2 chassis is stiffer than your GT3T which is also softer than the 992 GT3s chassis.
Yeah I dunno man - I have a really different opinion on this than most people. You’re far from the only one who says this so I realize I’m an outlier here , but my GT3 is honestly more comfortable than both my previous M2 and M5 and I really can’t say the two other 992s I owned felt any better. And this is over some pretty bad roads. The low ride height is trickier and that’s probably the main barrier but as far as suspension compliance over bad roads - it’s pretty nice. My 993 has 3 way coilovers with RS suspension and that thing is brutal over these roads.

I suppose the exact nature of how bad your road is plays a role - my roads are a bunch of chipseal with asphalt patches and deep curbs and ruts. Not so much with big gaping potholes or NYC style third world stuff. So that could be the difference if your roads are more like the latter.

I know I’m outside the mainstream on this one and I expect disagreement - suffice it to say the ideal thing is for OP to drive one and see for himself.

Last edited by rk-d; 02-16-2024 at 08:53 PM.
Old 02-17-2024 | 10:36 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

@rk-d I think part of it has to do with the potentially more compliant suspension in the 991.2 GT3T. I've never driven one but have read it is far more compliant than 997 and 992 GT cars.
Old 02-17-2024 | 12:17 PM
rk-d
Rennlist Member

@rk-d I think part of it has to do with the potentially more compliant suspension in the 991.2 GT3T. I've never driven one but have read it is far more compliant than 997 and 992 GT cars.
Yes, I've read the 992 GT3 is a good bit stiffer, so any observations I have on ride quality don't really apply to the 992.
Wilder (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024 | 12:27 PM
Oileater
Rennlist Member

Yes, I've read the 992 GT3 is a good bit stiffer, so any observations I have on ride quality don't really apply to the 992.
IMO, the 991.2 GT3 has springs which are noticeably softer than the 992 GT3. As people know, the 991.2 T felt like a hot mess (roll control and damping) in comparison to either —but in everyday driving 991 Carrera T was my favorite.

Cannot help give input on the 992 chassis until it gets here. Might be awhile.

Point is, 991.2 GT3 isn’t all that stiff, IMO. You can feel the car moving on its springs before the suspension bites and sets. Maybe I’m overly picky.
Old 02-17-2024 | 12:35 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

it is stiffer, but the front end is also very darty- so you have to be paying attention with both hands on the wheel at all times; alot of tramlining- feels very race car
Old 02-17-2024 | 12:36 PM
speedyj
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by AdamSanta85
I would just do coilovers, sway bars, brakes (if you don't have PCCB), and a tune on the T. Then you can show GT3s your tail lights.
NO NO NO NO NO NO

a modded carrera will never be a GT car. this narrative needs to go somewhere and die

Old 02-17-2024 | 04:40 PM
Honinspire02
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by arrivederci

sounds like we live near each other. Colorado?? I ended up finally driving a gt3, definitely wouldn’t want to give up the t for the 991. Now I’m considering just adding a gt3 to the mix.
arrivederci (02-17-2024)
Old 02-17-2024 | 05:48 PM
chapmans
Rennlist Member

A GT3 on PS4S tires is a completely fine and lovely daily. Drop to 19 inch wheels and get even better ride quality.

I had an order for a 992T I canceled, just couldn't get excited about it. Ordered a 718 GTS instead, that got delayed and I canceled that too. Decided why settle and got my GT3, zero regrets.

Last edited by chapmans; 02-17-2024 at 05:51 PM.
Honinspire02 (02-17-2024)

Quick Reply: Trading 992t for 991 gt3?