Sponsored by:

992.2 Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 09:21 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 926 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by nyca
The 48V mild hybrid system in the base trims is nothing from a "new tech" perspective. Turn off auto start/stop and its pretty much invisible. The trims that have the THEV system, those are going to be adventurous purchases for people, beta testers.
The best feature of the 48v motor in Volvos is the seamless transition between start/stop.
Old 03-14-2024, 09:24 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

Oh sure, it works great. But who wants it in a sports car? The full hybrid is a different story, if implemented well. It can be like KERS in F1.
The following users liked this post:
Fullyield (03-14-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:34 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Received 1,451 Likes on 916 Posts

The 48V mild hybrid system in the base trims is nothing from a "new tech" perspective. Turn off auto start/stop and its pretty much invisible. The trims that have the THEV system, those are going to be adventurous purchases for people, beta testers.
Generally agree. As soon as we know for certain exactly what “mild hybrid” and the T-HEV systems actually are, I am happy to reassess. Regardless of what Porsche marketing dept. actually and finally says these systems are and exactly how they are engineered, I will probably still sit it out for awhile having lived through the IMS bearing, bore scoring, and lithium battery Porsche engineering fiascos. How are the engine mounts on your 992?

BTW - my A-S-S is always off. So, why pay extra and endure the issues for something I will never use?
RatherJaded (03-15-2024)
Old 03-14-2024, 09:40 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Oh sure, it works great. But who wants it in a sports car? The full hybrid is a different story, if implemented well. It can be like KERS in F1.
Agree…..but Porsche remains years away from KERS being reliably used in a production vehicle. Porsche will use the mild hybrid system to limp through upcoming emission requirements until it can get into a RELIABLE THEV system probably around 2028. If you thought the cost of a 3 year service on your 992.1 was out of sight, just wait.
Old 03-14-2024, 10:53 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 813 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
Ha ha. You are mistaken. The Lohner Porsche is not older than the ICE. Research it. The Lohner Porsche had a previously developed ICE. And it was not Porsche’s first car. It was Lohner’s who hired the Porsche firm to consult. Porsche did not manufacture cars in 1900. But comparing the 1900 Lohner vehicle (which was designed by Dr. Porsche) to a current hybrid/EV vehicle is a really BIG stretch! Like comparing a Model T to a 2024 Mustang GT. The 4 electric motors in the 1900 Lohner produced a peak of 7 hp per motor for very short periods and the 4 motors alone weighed 1300 Lbs. And it was not an EV, BTW. It was a hybrid. It had an ICE generating electricity to the giant electric motors on the wheels. Not a plug in either. Excellent creativity and ingenuity by Dr. Porsche I agree,…..but never produced for obvious reasons.
Never said that the Lohner Porsche was older than ICE. I said the electric motor was. So, no I'm not mistaken. Also, never compared current hybrids to that car. What's a stretch is what you are inferring from what I said. Read again what I stated and don't read into it. I simply said the tech has been around very long. Also, you are wrong. "In fact, Ferdinand Porsche designed the first-ever hybrid car" from https://www.porsche.com/stories/inno...rst-hybrid-car

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...vehicle%2C%20C.

Doesn't matter who he designed/built it for. Porsche designed and built it. Porsche is the last name of the person who started the company. I hope you know that. LOL
Old 03-15-2024, 05:41 AM
TheGreatJ
Racer

Location: Right below the Northern Lights, when not travelling all around.
Received 177 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Fullyield
What’s up next? The biggest technology change in the 911 in 25 years when Porsche transitioned from air cooled to water cooled drive train. Actually , the changes to the 992.2 are bigger because in 1998 Porsche could draw on 50+ years of experience in water cooled technology from other manufacturers. Now they must rely on Elon Musk and all the the manufacturers are all flying from the seat of their pants. You want a 992.2? Best wishes. Ask me again in 3 years. Your opinion may differ and that’s OK.
By "What's up next?" I was referring to the pre-launch related marketing activities (these so-called spy pics launched on platforms like Instagram etc. by people close to Porsche or actually from Porsche Marketing) that we were just having a conversation about.

Not taking any stand on the drasticality of the changes in the "facelift" from 992.1 to 992.2. as they yet remain to be seen. Generally speaking though, it's good that these cars that we like so much keep evolving and try to adapt to the world and its progress around them. If there's someone, who can combine electrical power and ICE in an exciting way and with high quality, it's definitely Porsche.
Fullyield (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 08:01 AM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ikone
Never said that the Lohner Porsche was older than ICE. I said the electric motor was. So, no I'm not mistaken. Also, never compared current hybrids to that car. What's a stretch is what you are inferring from what I said. Read again what I stated and don't read into it. I simply said the tech has been around very long. Also, you are wrong. "In fact, Ferdinand Porsche designed the first-ever hybrid car" from https://www.porsche.com/stories/inno...rst-hybrid-car

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...vehicle%2C%20C.

Doesn't matter who he designed/built it for. Porsche designed and built it. Porsche is the last name of the person who started the company. I hope you know that. LOL
First patent ICE 1794. First electric motor Europe 1834 and US 1837.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:08 PM
Tedster
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 167 Posts

Well, actually it was Benjamin Franklin who invented and built the first two electric motors. In 1748 he described them in a letter to Peter Collinson, Fellow of the Royal Society of London. The motors operated on the principle of electrostatic attraction and repulsion.

https://pubs.aip.org/aapt/ajp/articl...rectedFrom=PDF
Old 03-15-2024, 05:37 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tedster
Well, actually it was Benjamin Franklin who invented and built the first two electric motors. In 1748 he described them in a letter to Peter Collinson, Fellow of the Royal Society of London. The motors operated on the principle of electrostatic attraction and repulsion.

https://pubs.aip.org/aapt/ajp/articl...rectedFrom=PDF
True….and if we are jumping to pure scientific theory as opposed to practical operation, the first combustion engine was actually the Chinese rocket invented in the 13th century. Comparing apples to apples though, the internal combustion engine, as we know it, received its first patent in 1794 when invented by Robert Street. However, the first patent on an electric motor, as we know it, was not issued until some 40 years later to Thomas Davenport in 1837. A similar electric motor was reportedly being developed in Europe around 1834-1835. Dr. Porsche experimented with these two technologies about 60 years later but a hybrid “wheel hub” vehicle was too impractical for production and sale. Interestingly from an engineering standpoint, the same complaints often heard about EV’s today were the similar problems with it in 1900.

Last edited by Fullyield; 03-15-2024 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:44 PM
Dezeinstein
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Icegrill
The best feature of the 48v motor in Volvos is the seamless transition between start/stop.
Totally agree with you on this point. My wife has a '22 XC60 mild hybrid, and the start/stop is absolutely seamless.
Downside: No way to turn it off (that we've figured out, anyway).
But this is a heavy SUV, so no noticeable difference from the 48v system, and it hasn't broken yet.
Wouldn't want this in my 911.
Icegrill (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 05:53 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,074 Likes on 448 Posts

Here's a recent article from EVO with no mention of the 48v. I am a little skeptical of the 48v rumors, as that's really only good for auto start stop, which almost none of us want or use (I click over to Sport mode the second I start the car). I think the 48v is a ruse, and the real T-HEV is going to be much more impressive. What I am not so enthused about is the questionable design decisions on the exhaust tip surround, tail lights (with goofy light up Porsche logo), rear decklid is meh, front bumper is very meh and over-stylized, and wheel selection has been very questionable. Overall, the design elements changed from 992.1 seem a bit overwrought and forced, I wonder if the design team has changed leadership since the .1 was created? Does not seem like the same team to me...

https://www.evo.co.uk/porsche/911/20...be-electrified

This article shows uncamouflaged headlights, see below (another questionable design choice, not really liking these):

Old 03-15-2024, 06:24 PM
Angryinch
Drifting

Received 1,096 Likes on 654 Posts

From what I’ve seen, very happy with my 992.1 TTS!

The following 2 users liked this post by Angryinch:
Fullyield (03-15-2024), NEH51 (03-16-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 06:39 PM
nyca
Drifting

Received 915 Likes on 510 Posts

But the THEV is a different powertrain. Or are you saying the base models will remain the same, won't even get the 48V?
Old 03-15-2024, 06:41 PM
Schn3ll
Burning Brakes

Received 1,074 Likes on 448 Posts

But the THEV is a different powertrain. Or are you saying the base models will remain the same, won't even get the 48V?
I'm saying I question 48v on the other powertrains. It's far from new tech, and if Porsche wanted to add it they would have done so a decade ago. I suspect the base and S models stay with the same engines we have today. Mild hybrid in a sports car does nothing but add more useless complexity, efficiency gains are miniscule.
The following 2 users liked this post by Schn3ll:
Fullyield (03-15-2024), Icegrill (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 07:00 PM
Fullyield
Drifting

Originally Posted by Schn3ll
I'm saying I question 48v on the other powertrains…..Mild hybrid in a sports car does nothing but add more useless complexity, efficiency gains are miniscule.
Agree. Hope you are right. Adding mild hybrid electric motor to any model also excludes the MT for that model.
Icegrill (03-15-2024)

Quick Reply: 992.2 Info